It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Three Gorges Dam in China–Largest in World – Serious Problems? Affects the Whole Earth

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I wonder what kind of security this dam has - against acts of terrorism, etc...

Can you fly over it - close...?

I’d do some digging around for info but I’m dug out tonight...

Iisn’t there a LOT of tension between the States and China right now - the Navy on both sides?

And China’s threat to dump the dollar...

Anyway, I don't think I have to add any more to this post for people to get the gist of what I'm thinking here...

Hmmm....

peace

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
read it and wow... great thread.

I will pick up on a the official posters comments...

1- The dam will break by being caused by an eclipse... very, farfetched, even if some indian dude predicted a death and this, it's very sceptical.
2- Sediments building up at the bottom of the damn causing cracks... yes this is a well known problem and can be a big problem especially if the Dam is not designed to eliviate this nor built right with the right materials.
3- Landslides... yes, very possible and can cause even more problems and an increase in sediments and high waves. The land has never had water being at that levels for probably no more than a short period of time maximum throughout history.
4- Climate change – Absolutely true. Nature has a way of supplying and changing slowly the climate conditions of areas around the planet. Altering the water levels can have a drastic effect on the climate, not just in water levels but when a flood do happen, sediment is left over and is prime fertilising land where nutrients are left over.
5- Causing earthquakes - Not entirely proven but should not be dismissed either. The immense water pressure near a fault line is far more greater mass than a mega city. So it is plausible and at the very least will not help matters.

Humans can only mess with nature so much, look at the Mississippi river and how they tried to channel that? It failed and the whole thing flooded completely being one of the biggest disasters in the 20th century costing billions of dollers. This however is completely different.

If this thing breaks, which it could very well do... then boy i'd love to see a camera of all that water coming down the valley. Although for the 400 million chinease out there... this is not good. Potentially the biggest human man made disaster ever and sadly it could take something like this to make us finally realise that we cannot play god all the time when it comes to nature.

[edit on 20-7-2009 by Adono86]

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Witness2008

That's classic. Thanks for the link Winess2008.

I love the first line: "The Three Gorges dam is the world's most notorious dam." (emphasis added). A true laff! I thought 'notorious' was reserved to serial killers and the like, but I suppose it suits, based on the information provided so far.

It basically confirms everything the OP stated and shows that this truly is a catastrophe waiting to happen; actually, in some respects, it already is. Again, Thanks for the providing the info.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I read "Raging Wind Blackfoot's" prophecy, and he says after the death of Walter Cronkite, the dam would break within 333 days. Cronkite died on 7/17/09, so that would make it 6/15/10 for the disastrous event. So why are you guys like it's going to happen tomorrow?

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
i'm guessing because of the eclipse... but 333 days seems like a reasonable time limit for another earthquake within the area.

I do believe that the dam will eventually burst, were in a depression, China have problems and can they afford to keep a massive maintanence bill for it. To be honest, the loss of 400 million chinease people would do them a big, big favour. a huge population drop, fertile land to grow food and a completely new start. It might be their reset button discovered by complete accident. For the regime it could be a blessing in disguise, for the population and to the outside world if they ever proved that it had been intentionally neglected... it could very well be the beggining of the end of Communist China in regards to a world economic superpower, mainly because of the genocide of it's own people on a massive scale all because of a Dam. Again, purely speculation but one often wonders these things... these are desperate times and desperate times call for desperate measures.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Alrightythen,........ well this is as convincing as the crop circle that said our sun was going to give us a bad day. I will say props to Qgal for all the work, Nice research. Again I say, If the moon has ANYTHING to do with this dam failing on the 22nd I will throw an all u can eat and drink party, and yer all invited.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Iisn’t there a LOT of tension between the States and China right now - the Navy on both sides?

There is no tension between our Navies. That was just some dramatic headline about some crazy Chinese fishermen!

In fact, we are rubbing their feet and whispering sweet nothings in their ear, so they won't cut off our allowance!!

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
It is not predicted the dam will fail on the 22nd and I did not put that in there.

What got me to look at the dam in the first place, was the mention of the Indian's vision.

I then wanted to take a closer look at the dam and see (was hoping to find other information than what I did) if there was ANY validity to the possibility of the Three Gorges Dam failing.

That led me to the research I did and compiled in this thread.

With the fact of the natural influences on the dam of land slides, sediment and cracks already in place at the Three Gorges Dam - I also looked at what influences (outside those) could affect the dam.

Well with the solar eclipse going directly over the dam - AND it being the LONGEST solar eclipse in our lifetime - and the influences of solar eclipses - to me - they are companion threads.

But, I do NOT say anywhere - I believe the person's vision - I inserted that to simply show how I was led to doing this thread.

It is something for people to be aware of - in my own opinion.

[edit on 20-7-2009 by questioningall]

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

an interesting video... substantiates the changes in and around the dam

www.youtube.com...

and some of the issues about the dam itself, from C4 in the UK back in 2008!

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
For some reason I feel like I just got slapped...... Hmmmm nice. As I said nice work on digging up this info, even with the all the scientific legwork that has completed on believing the earth will be moved by this. I am gonna have to say... nah.... no after effects to the earth with a water movement of that size.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Thanks for the great post Questionitall I knew a bit about the building of the dam and the loss of farmers livlehoods however had no idea it had this much of an impact
sounds to me like the Chinese have really followed American direction and have went in all guns blazing with no thought of the repercussions
This sounds like an environmental nightmare with the potential of devastating Shanghi if the dam is breached or destroyed, not to mention the potential for malaria and other nasty diseases with all the sewage in the reservoir, so much for clean hydro power

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

Keep posting your threads, as they are very good reading, I for one never knew about the dam before today and am very glad I do now, I see lots of people trying to shot you down for things you don't say, Keep doing what you are doing here on ATS, I am not the only member who love's reading your post and all the people who have digs at you must like them too, as they they keep posting in your threads!

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by freemindmine
reply to post by questioningall

Keep posting your threads, as they are very good reading, I for one never knew about the dam before today and am very glad I do now, I see lots of people trying to shot you down for things you don't say, Keep doing what you are doing here on ATS, I am not the only member who love's reading your post and all the people who have digs at you must like them too, as they they keep posting in your threads!
This is all about the ying and yang thing. I like Qgals topics, I just disagree with the worries, and I am jealous I don't have the time she does. By all means Qgal press on...

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Witness2008

EXCELLENT EXCELLENT INFORMATION!!

THANK YOU for providing that link!!

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Thank you very much for this interesting thread.

There are obviously a multitude of problems with this dam. I'd think a major issue is time as the tremendous forces this dam is holding back take their toll on the structure.

I'm not one to think that an eclipse is significant in this picture. I read an article earlier about the superstitions surrounding eclipses in the Indian society. I see superstitions as just what they are, fiction to explain things not understood. I see these superstitions as being no more relevant than "step on a crack, break your Mothers back" or breaking a mirror bringing bad luck. An eclipse is an interesting side note and nothing more.

Thanks again for the interesting thread. I can't believe I read the whole thing, but I did. Even watched the video.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Interesting research but the whole eclipse phenomena is pure superstition. There is nothing to suggest it will affect anything on earth other than anyone who stares directly at the sun.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
It's not often I do it, but S & F for you. Great thread, even if I am wary of some of the more esoteric ideas...

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy
This is all about the ying and yang thing. I like Qgals topics, I just disagree with the worries

I'm the same

I know she probably doesn't mean it but I see alot of irrational and alarmist undertones in her threads, I still enjoy them though if not to just have some debate over hokus pokus superstitions and speculative pseudo science

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
ooops

double post >.<

[edit on 20/7/09 by Discotech]

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by questioningall
reply to post by VitriolAndAngst

I found LOTS of information about the fish population being affected and dying from this dam - due to sewage backups and pollution in the water.

I did not include it in the thread though - nor the other very important enviromental aspects of the dam's impact on China.

The reason? I did not want the thread to become SUPER LONG - I wanted to get across the pressing information of how we can all be affected - if there is a dam failure.

There are so many good sites about the enviromental aspect - sorry - I just couldn't add everything to this thread.

Seems to me that it's the biggest risk. The engineering of the dam and the silt are known factors.

But maybe the chemistry change in the water is the reason the worFishyld's oceans are producing so much more jelly fish. Look at this story;

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join