It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Three Gorges Dam in China–Largest in World – Serious Problems? Affects the Whole Earth

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

Please don't ignore science, the eclipse will have no effect what so ever on gravitational forces upon the Earth as Phage explained to you in your eclipse thread and the Super Moon will have no more effect on water than all the other countless Super Moons that have graced the Earth with their presence throughout the many billions of years they have co-existed.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Discotech

Ahh, but the science is SHOWN in the threads - in links from EXPERTS in those fields.

I am happy that Phage - lays out his own ideas - but the science has been PROVEN - which I completely laid out.

I am sorry that Phage does not agree with all the other MANY EXPERTS in those fields - nothing I can do about that.

But I proved as much possible information in the two threads - to prove the points of the threads.

There are THOUSANDS of other links - PROVING the influence on water/tides/earth gravitational pull - from the eclipse and super moon.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Here is another one. I put a red X about where I think the dam is.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d732beea3bc0.gif[/atsimg]

Forgot the link to map

[edit on 20-7-2009 by Pamie]

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
This was a very good thread. When I seen the building of the damn it seemed to big for human nature and not well planned. I pray for all hose in its path way.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
i only have to say that if it keeps 100 million tons of carbon dioxide from entering the atmosphere from the replacement of coal-fired power plants, it saves the air for the rest of us, and i and my children will have breathable air for a while longer. changing the rotation and dynamics of the entire earth i'm a little more skeptical about. this water has been on the earth in one form or another, whether it was contained in snow at hundreds of feet in depth or rivers up stream, the impact seems to be generally localized. obviously, i wouldn't want to live anywhere near this dam, but there are a great many chinese who take that risk in stride, or have no choice. those people i have pity for, and wish them good luck.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   

I've many links on regarding the pendulum account and how it gives a 5% increase in gravity during an eclipse, what's interesting though is the 5% increase is only within the shadow of the eclipse.

Also please bear in mind it is not an accepted study and is still being debated to its validity, unless of course you can find an actual peer reviewed study which is accepted amongst the scientific community ?

Also do you have any answers to the questions I asked on my first post on the first page ?

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   
The sad part about all of this is and not even mentioned or thought of by China?

They go to war with another country a couple well placed bombs and they could wipe out a 1/3 of the population in a worse case scenario.

Heck the distraught farmers my get themselves some nano-thermite and just do it themselves.

I'm really surprised they never considered this unless the 1/3 of the population that lives there they don't really care about.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Pamie

Thank you for that - also shows over a 5 minute eclipse time period there!!

I am going to insert that one in the main OP in place of the one I put in with your credit - if you don't mind.

I am inserting it now - if you mind let me know in a u2u - and I will take it out!

Thank you again for the better map with the X!

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   
As always another great thread with lots of great information! I was waiting for this thread since you mentioned it in the eclipse one....
I never knew this about the Three Gorges Damn and after reading all the information you posted it does seem like this was one big mistake. bigger isnt always better. I sure hope nothing happens during the eclipse or even after. If something were to happen I hope the people there are somewhat prepared. Great thread! S&F!!!

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Discotech

the answer - which you have asked for - is WAY BEYOND my capacity to answer!

In other words - NOTHING can be done now about the Dam.

The only thing that can be done in my eyes - is the Chinese STAYING ON TOP of problems arising at the dam as they arise.

ie: sediment build up
land slides
fixing the cracks

They are talking about relocating ANOTHER 4 MILLION PEOPLE now - due to the dam!

they built it and they "Dam" well better be on top of the problems!

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Oh, yes. Please use it.

And, again, thank you for your wonderful thread.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   
SnF for you, you certainly put alot of work into this, very interesting, i only got thru half of your post and will continue when i am home from work later on tonite.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Thanks for gathering all that, a lot to chew on. Seems like three gorges is a ticking bomb.

Do China have any kind of disater strategy in place, like FEMA?

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   
One really huge problem with dams in general is the killing of fish. By a lot of arm-twisting, environmentalists have pushed Dams in America to "use the best available technology" to reduce fish deaths.

This is necessary, because we already are stretching the fish populations to the breaking point. Something like 3 Trillion fry (that's with a "T") are killed each year in our dams.

What happens to migration patterns and trying to go both upstream and downstream through that behemoth?

Dams are good sources of water -- but there are new "low energy" techniques for harnessing hydroelectric power. The old technology that requires dams, needs pressure. But I've seen designs that use chamber like the inside of a screw (kind of like what would be left if you made a mold around a thick blade) to use a slight drop in water level to harness slow-moving water. A fish could survive moving through this and even swim upstream. Instead of one massive dam, you could have thousands of little screw generators along the length of a river.

The levees and controlling damage by flooding are another issue; I'd recommend that people NOT live in a flood plane. Failing that, have a modern system of alert sirens and many, many strong stilt-supported emergency centers.

We have the same problem in the US of developers building resorts on our coasts and draining swamps. The swamps are the lungs of our ecosystem and they allow for a natural storm break on sea swells and fresh water floods. The problems in Louisiana aren't just a sinking city -- they are compounded by the Army Corps of Engineers destruction of the swamps.

Human's can't keep doing these things to the earth and not have repercussions.

We need to get out of the era of "grand and glorious" and start reducing our footprint and decentralizing food and energy production.

Toxins, in essence, are just un-natural concentrations as well as synthetic products. If you put too much fertilizer in one place, you end up creating dead zones in the oceans.

We run out of water in our aquifers, because we have roofs, streets and storm drains. If every house made efforts to store their own water -- we can not only reduce the strain on city water supplies -- we make everyone drought tolerant.

And having a lot of generators on the flow of a river -- rather than huge all or nothing projects at a dam, reduces the losses of energy on long transmission lines.

>>> I'm sure there is a lot of thought and technology in the three-gorges dam. But it also seems like, they just 10X the size of the dam and the sluices because they are holding 10x water -- but problems do not scale evenly.

>> I think it's fool-hardy to put almost 400 million people in the wash plane of a dam.

However, I disagree with the huge worry about "wobbling" -- our earth survives a HUGE movement of water every day due to the moon's effect on the oceans -- so many of orders of magnitude greater than this large dam. The rhythm of the earth has of course adapted to the ocean. After the last ice age, the earth saw huge floods as ice dams broke. The entire lower Western region was probably made in an instant from a mega flow coming from the Great Lakes (remember all the flood myths from the early times like Noah and his Arc? -- probably most of them have to do with the breaking of ice dams).

>>> I think the environmental problem they've made CAN effect the earth much more than any dam collapse -- which is the least of their worries. And an earth quake, may not destroy the dam itself, but might make a resonant Tsunami right inside of what amounts to a fresh water sea.

Who knows what is going to happen to the Chinese fish stock -- which I'd say is more important than any electricity they produce.

This world needs solar fusion in the worst way. The Chinese are doomed if they keep using coal, and they are doomed if they try to use this much Hydroelectric. Human power production is not catching up with China becoming fully industrialized -- their population and resource needs are likely unsustainable unless they find much better technologies to solve these problems.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by VitriolAndAngst

I found LOTS of information about the fish population being affected and dying from this dam - due to sewage backups and pollution in the water.

I did not include it in the thread though - nor the other very important enviromental aspects of the dam's impact on China.

The reason? I did not want the thread to become SUPER LONG - I wanted to get across the pressing information of how we can all be affected - if there is a dam failure.

There are so many good sites about the enviromental aspect - sorry - I just couldn't add everything to this thread.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Excellent thread. S&F. You have given me a reason to kick back on my day off and do some research. The eclipse if I'm not mistaken will happen during the nighttime hours tomorrow the 21st for us mid westerners.

I am a student of Chinese history and the one thing that always hits me when studying their industrial advancements is the breathtaking shortcuts that are taken by all officials during the last century.

The need to conquer nature seems to be a world wide phenomenon however China lays out the painful lessons with a greater degree.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I would like to know how the total cost of the Dam and expected power output/benefits/risks to life and enviroment compares to the cost of enough solar panels and wind turbines to generate a similar amount of output.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Excellent post,

At first I thought of "O'Brother where art thou" movie. It's interesting how they state the concrete was too strong

I truley hope nothing catasprophic happans on 7-22-09 but between the longest total soar eclipse of the century, timewave zero, and the W.K. death vision it seems pretty ironic. Not long to wait.

Man I love ATS

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to Questioning Allpost by questioningall

My 1st ever post...So take it easy on me. I have found myself more and more intrigued by everything on this site, but especially Questioning All and her amazing (I don’t use that word lightly) research, investigative skills and enlightened way of remaining lighthearted while still getting her point across, in a poignant manner. (Even while some of you berate the Thread)I have learned more from her about things I never even cared about, that now I am even passionate about some subjects...to a point that I finally broke down and joined the ranks of ATS. My dirty little secret,.. something I will not share with my Friends &co-workers.

Thanks QA; you once again have shown me the light...LOL

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx
this water has been on the earth in one form or another, whether it was contained in snow at hundreds of feet in depth or rivers up stream, the impact seems to be generally localized.

Sure water is all over the Earth (approximately 70% of the surface). But if you read the OP’s posts, you’ll see that the problem is that this is an entirely unnatural distortion of an enormous mass of water. A tremendous amount of weight has/is being displaced. It’s the artificial shift of the mass that causes the problem. The Earth has had billions of years to ‘stabilize’ its lakes, mountains, etc. This dam changes the whole balance of the Earth in a relatively short period of time.

An analogy would be a person with some sort of foot/leg injury that needs a cast. Their balance may have been perfect before, but the introduction of a heavy cast is an unnatural attachment that is certain to cause them instability. It’s not uncommon for people in such a situation to fall down a lot. What is being discussed here is akin to putting a cast on the planet. Seems pretty likely it might ‘trip’ at some point, doesn’t it?

Problem is – if the Earth ‘trips’ then we go along with it.

To the OP: Have you seen anything to indicate that if the dam does fail, it may cause a ‘ripple’ effect, causing further tectonic plate distortions, tsunamis, etc?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join