It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big blobs of mystery goo floating off Alaska coast

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   

www.mcclatchydc.com

Something big and strange is floating through the Chukchi Sea between Wainwright and Barrow. Hunters from Wainwright first started noticing the stuff sometime probably early last week. It's thick and dark and "gooey" and is drifting for miles in the cold Arctic waters, according to Gordon Brower with the North Slope Borough's Planning and Community Services Department.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Very strange. I am trying to find a picture of this stuff. Does anyone have any ideas what it may be?

According to the Coase Guard it seems to be some kind of biological life not oil or tar from a spill as I originally thought.

Nobody knows for sure what the gunk is, but Petty Officer 1st Class Terry Hasenauer says the Coast Guard is sure what it is not."It's certainly biological," Hasenauer said. "It's definitely not an oil product of any kind. It has no characteristics of an oil, or a hazardous substance, for that matter.

www.mcclatchydc.com

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Erasurehead

Complete story is here

www.adn.com...

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Erasurehead

www.mcclatchydc.com

Something big and strange is floating through the Chukchi Sea between Wainwright and Barrow. Hunters from Wainwright first started noticing the stuff sometime probably early last week. It's thick and dark and "gooey" and is drifting for miles in the cold Arctic waters, according to Gordon Brower with the North Slope Borough's Planning and Community Services Department.

I always new the crap that politicians speak would build up somewhere.

On a serious note, interesting find. Keeping my eyes open.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   
possibly Gelatinous goo rains down on small town

or, perhaps a previously frozen life form that managed to free itself from a melting glacier?

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Erasurehead

Very strange. I am trying to find a picture of this stuff. Does anyone have any ideas what it may be?

According to the Coase Guard it seems to be some kind of biological life not oil or tar from a spill as I originally thought.

Nobody knows for sure what the gunk is, but Petty Officer 1st Class Terry Hasenauer says the Coast Guard is sure what it is not."It's certainly biological," Hasenauer said. "It's definitely not an oil product of any kind. It has no characteristics of an oil, or a hazardous substance, for that matter.

www.mcclatchydc.com

The coast guard didn't say it was "Biological Life"... they said it was Biological... which means it could easily be defecation of some animal or another.

Honestly...

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
im going witht he same stuff that rained on Washington several months ago

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Could be some kind of algy.

There are some lakes around here, that after a long hot summer turn into dark green smelly goo, not unlike the goo in the picture, only it is not as black as in the picture.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Point of No Return

This is the algy I was talking about, it's not quite the same color, but it seems to have the same texture to it.

This is the stuff in the story:

[edit on 15-7-2009 by Point of No Return]

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Don't forget to look at the yummy photos - they have a bucket full of that stuff!
Does look a bit like algae, I'd say.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c83d0a520985.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6505ae696d16.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Sliick

After seeing that bucket of goo there is no question, imo, that this is some form of algy.

The big mystery is why this is such a mystery.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sliick
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c83d0a520985.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6505ae696d16.jpg[/atsimg]

Looks like a finger to me in the first one
jk

Has anyone tested the stuff yet?

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Swine Flu Pandemic currently occuring

Lots of people sneezing and coughing

Where do you think all that phlegm and mucus goes ?

It's not the swine flu that's going to kill us all, it's this mucus doom blob which is just growing itself in size until it's large enough to span the globe!

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Discotech
Swine Flu Pandemic currently occuring

Lots of people sneezing and coughing

Where do you think all that phlegm and mucus goes ?

It's not the swine flu that's going to kill us all, it's this mucus doom blob which is just growing itself in size until it's large enough to span the globe!

Ill tell you one thing. I think I have seen this before in a prophetic movie about 4 chosen ones.

If theres any reports of a marshmallow man I know who im gonna call, that is if they havent went bust yet.

[edit on 15-7-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I was completely wrong, it's not algy at all.

Turns out it is algea.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

"The coast guard didn't say it was "Biological Life"... they said it was Biological... which means it could easily be defecation of some animal or another.

Honestly..."

"It's definitely, by the smell and the makeup of it, it's some sort of naturally occurring organic or otherwise marine organism."

Quote from original article. Perhaps they included all the information in their summation- rather than attempting to mislead or jump to conclusions.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Is it the same as what they are testing on Mars? could it be the beginning of life as we know it, or some strange variation for after the big wipeout of humanity?

How is it affecting other life forms such as the indigenous animals in the arctic?

Such interesting times we live in.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Followup on this story:
www.time.com...

Test results released on July 16 showed that the blob wasn't oil but a plant — a massive bloom of algae. While that may seem less dangerous, people are still uneasy. It's something the mostly Inupiat Eskimo residents along Alaska's northern coast say they cannot remember seeing before.

These algae blooms are pretty common in warmer waters and very unusual to be found in the Arctic Ocean. First of its kind that I am aware of.

new topics

top topics

join