It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taliban try to spread fighting in Pakistani tribal belt

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Taliban try to spread fighting in Pakistani tribal belt

www.guardian.co.uk

Taliban militants backed by al-Qaida trainers are stepping up a campaign of violent destabilisation across Pakistan's tribal belt to divert forces from the battle in the Swat valley, a senior Pakistani commander said today.

"They are trying [to spread the fighting] but it's not significant enough for us to divert our attention," said Major General Tariq Khan, the commander of the 50,000-strong Frontier Corps, speaking to the Guardian at his Peshawar headquarters.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Well the fighting is spreading. This doesn't seem like the average uprising of a peasant militia to me. They are swarming outpost and then try to bleed into the remaining parts of the country along with thousands of refugees.

The Taliban were being trained by foreign mercenaries linked to al-Qaida, Khan said. "They are experts in IEDs [roadside bombs], sniper fire and explosives. Mostly Tajiks and Uzbeks, basically. They get paid for their expertise," he said.

This next bit seems more like wishful thinking than a realistic view of the situation.

I don't think the Taliban are going to fight once they see a consolidated effort against them. Their effort at getting into Mingora is to melt into the crowd, to move out with the exodus of refugees," he said. He predicted that a hardcore of fighters would retreat into remote valleys north of Mingora and try to sue for peace.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
this is a huge domestic war and it seems that noone care. with over a 1 milion refugees already. and it is Pakistan. on boarder with Afghanistan and what is more important India. I wonder if they really control the nukes there.

I think US and NATO troops will have finally go into the fight. and for the first time I feel like I will support them. otherwise sooner or later whole area is going into the chaos.

s and f for bringing the attention to the crises there. I was about to post same but you beat me to.
cheers

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I think this probably has to do with the Brzezinski plan. It's been known for a while that he wants to get his hands on Pakistan. He's talked about it in private speeches to the Royal Institute of International affairs. Webster Tarpley was warning about this 08 and Obama mentioned Pakistan in his campaign speeches. And now, magically, as if on cue, we see a load of yellow journalism articles come out about the evils of the Pakistani warlords- an attempt to soften public opinion...

We need to look behind the headlines and work out who's feeding them to us and why...

Brzezinski's Secret Talk

This is the first part of an off the record talk Brzezinski gave to British elites in Autumn 08. Pakistan is mentioned more than a few times...

Why is Pakistan Important?

An Infowars reprint of an AsiaTimes article on Balochistan, highlighting its mineral and strategic wealth...

www.infowars.com...

Balochistan is totally under the radar of Western corporate media. But not the Pentagon’s. An immense desert comprising almost 48% of Pakistan’s area, rich in uranium and copper, potentially very rich in oil, and producing more than one-third of Pakistan’s natural gas, it accounts for less than 4% of Pakistan’s 173 million citizens. Balochs are the majority, followed by Pashtuns. Quetta, the provincial capital, is considered Taliban Central by the Pentagon, which for all its high-tech wizardry mysteriously has not been able to locate Quetta resident “The Shadow”, historic Taliban emir Mullah Omar himself.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by czacza1
I think US and NATO troops will have finally go into the fight. and for the first time I feel like I will support them. otherwise sooner or later whole area is going into the chaos.

"OMG those poor poor people something must be done. Something MUST be done. Ohhhhh, we have to intervene, for freedom, for God, for humanity..."

Dude, can you say Problem, Reaction, Solution? How many times has this trick been played on the USA in this century alone and you STILL fall for it?

Does it not remotely surprise or confuse you that Brzezinski 'predicted' this event in his off-the-record RIIA speech? You can be damn sure there's plenty of operatives on the ground there stoking the fires and fanning the flames. Look at all the dirtiness surrounding Bhutto's death in 07.

www.roguegovernment.com...

[edit on 15f20091pmMon, 11 May 2009 12:02:51 -050051 by HiAliens]

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Perhaps one of you out there in ATS land might be able to tell me , who benefits most from internal strife in Pakistan ?

I guess we can expect some big terror attacks in Pakistan in the coming days .

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   

This next bit seems more like wishful thinking than a realistic view of the situation.

Sounds to me like somebody been invading the opium fields. There is no way Pakistan will stop the Taliban. IMO, there are just too many Pakistanis who share the Taliban's view.

As Ms. Perlez explained in a profile of Mr. Rashid in The Times last year, Mr. Rashid is a former guerrilla himself (he went directly from Cambridge University to fight in Baluchistan in the late 1960s), and he was in Afghanistan to witness the entry of Soviet troops in 1979. He has been reporting on the militants on both sides of the porous Afghanistan-Pakistan border ever since and, as Ms. Perlez wrote, “One of his insistent themes is the seamlessness of the Pakistani Taliban and the Afghan Taliban. They reinforce each other, he said, and so cannot be treated in isolation.”

thelede.blogs.nytimes.com...

new topics

top topics

join