It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The universe is big - [IMAGE]

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by spy66

true, im also unable to comprehend the big bang theory as how can we come from pretty much nothing.

still a big unanswered question about the big bang, the first few seconds of the big bang, we are talking microscopic, sub atomic level level and I certainly cant comprehend we came from nothing into something.

in a multi-verse sitution, perhaps we have 2 unis together, as one expands and takes it all in, the other retracts and starts process again, I sure dont know and just theorising.

I suppose it depends on what kind of multi verse we have?

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by AlwaysQuestion

its kinda crazy just think about the universe, and about how big it is. some people think the universe is round, but if it is then whats on the out side of that??
the things we will never know.
its insane

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by bobbylove321
And people say we are the only ones in the whole universe...

It's funny to see how dumb people still are.

Vy Canis Majoris, one star the size of our solor system!!!! And that is just what we know about. We know so little that is can not be put into words. I think that even with all we know about the size of the universe that we still are not seeing the whole thing. I think it is far bigger that anyone can even dream of.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sparkey76
reply to post by spy66

I suppose it depends on what kind of multi verse we have?

Well that to is a big question. The beginning must of started with just one universe.

The thing with matter is that it always changes into different things. Like other matters and energies.
A finite matter is always changing into something new and different.

This is what makes up all the different dimensions or universes we have of matter and energy. It is a result of changes in matter.

Finite is what makes up all of our dimensions by changing state over time.

I guess the big question is: Is matter infinite and not really a finite.

If you think of a matter it can never be in the same state for ever. A finite will never disappear it will only change and become something new.

But if you think of matter as a charged battery. It will die out and become neutral over time.

All matter has a pressure of some kind. And pressure is like a charged battery.

This means when all the matter is dead or have no pressure left in them. Nothing will happen.

This means that matter could in fact be infinite. But it can't have a infinite state of pressure. Meaning finite is the pressure or the energy within the matter and not the matter it self. Because all matter is built up by energy of different types to make the matter.

There has to be a force of unknown that can charge them up.

[edit on 27.06.08 by spy66]

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 01:07 AM
link   

awesome. i especially was amazed at the star that was several times larger than our entire solar system
egads, that's a big bugger!

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Fascinating! This blew my mind. I also couldn't help but think while checking out the image, there is no way this 'just happened.'

Good thread.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 01:56 AM
link   
I'm just very happy and pleased that it turned out in the final analysis that it was better to have something, than nothing at all.

Some say, and would have us believe, that life is an empty and meaningless absurdity, without any purpose except that which we give our own life, while at the same time insisting that man is nothing but a meaning making machine, however complex, still nothing but a machine.

Me, I prefer to think that we are created beings, operating in meaning filled universe with a purpose, whereby the final frame of reference and meaning for man, is that of family, and that furthermore, we are all children of a loving God, or in native terms, the "first father of all creation" (ie: first/last cause), more than a thing, even a very personal who of sorts, and if that is an anthopomorphic projection, then how is it that, even now I deeply feel myself to be fully loved and fully accepted? Is it delusional to suspect that there is a fundamental spiritual connecting principal? Or are those who insist that it is meaningless, without purpose, completely indifferent, absent an all powerful, all loving God not the ones in denial, out of fear, that out of the supreme sacrifice of one among us, the value assigned the individual is of infinite measure, greater even than that of the whole of it all, since by comparison, it is worth nothing, if it is not for love, a love willing to go to any lengths, to ensure that we are not left orphaned from the center and the source of it all even now, through this eternally unfolding present moment of now.

Me I believe in God, not because I am irrational, but because in the final analysis, faith in a supreme being is the only thing which makes any rational sense. When you take away everything else, all one is left with is faith, love, hope, and if possible a good sense of humour.

And for those who think we are nothing in the grand scheme of things, you may consider the possibility that in the very long longgggg line of evolutionary progress, mankind is the most recent arrival...!

"What is man that thou art mindful of him?"

Could it be that God the creator always begins with the end in mind, and that indeed "the first shall be last, and the last, first?"

And could it really be true, that we are emersed within an acausal, transluminally interconnected, non-local, holographic universe?

If so, then I do believe that this place here, is the place of ALL places where the rubber really hits the road and goes somewhere far and wide, and simply because of the magnitude of the problems we face, the greatest place of honour, to be now. Or is that too solipsistic?

So when we take deep stock of our own lives, have we been involved in the creative process, or the other (destructive), and if we are a source of destruction, even in little matters, how can we be trusted with the things to follow or the greater things that, even now we are participating in, in whatever way however big or small?

When I see the Hubble Deep Field, it brings tears to my eyes, but more than ever it reminds me the extent to which I myself have failed God, and how important it is to re-dedicate myself to a worthy cause for the greater glory of the one above it all, within whom everything moves and has it's being.

For, by God, in an acausal, transluminally interconnected and interdependant, non-local holographic universe of this magnitude - LOCAL MATTERS!

[edit on 16-4-2009 by OmegaPoint]

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 02:05 AM
link   

oddly enough, that video actually describes for me, the very thing that's missed by those who think what they see in photographs is all there is.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 02:33 AM
link   
And the skeptics/debunkers insist that we are the only advanced culture in the Universe! And that it is impossible for ETs, if they existed, to have traveled all the way to Earth due to the vast distances involved! And therefore the very concept of UFOs/ET visitations to Earth is nonsense!

Oh? How about they think for a moment that there are systems out there that came into existence billions of years BEFORE the birth of the Solar system? And therefore cultures that are billions of years ahead of us in technology who could be flitting around the galaxy/universe as a matter of course with FTL technology with propulsion systems hundreds of times faster than light?

Would it be therefore prudent to say that we have been visited by advanced ET races at some point in time? You can bet on that. We are most likely being visited at present...And will continue to be visited in future too!

WE ARE NOT ALONE! Period! Think for a moment. There could be more advanced civilizations in this universe than all the sands on Earth's beaches and then some! And the Earth is just one of the smallest nondescript grains of sand lying somewhere in the wilderness!

Cheers!

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Sorry to sidetrack the current discussion, but for some reason when I watched this vid, and with the current event's that have happened lately, one of the first things that popped into my head was "Humanity - What planet shall we eff up today!?!?!?!?!".

Hehehe, faith in humanity much?????

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 03:07 AM
link   
and now here's some energy (pardon the pun) for thought. but what are all those stars made of? liiiiighhhttttt.....

now let's say for the purposes of discussion, that God is Light (
)
in the scientific sense. light travels at such and such a speed and is intimately connected to gravity and space, but if it has no mass and is outside time, how is it that space acts like a time barrier over which it must travel, that's like saying, this timeless object MUST experience time, cause we said so! is it possible this is where quantum entanglement arrives on the scene? what appears to be light travelling across vast distances is merely the signal (the wave) sent to our locality because we annihilated the light particle when we viewed it? and in reality, the particle (unviewed) jumps from any point in the universe to any other part of the universe, instantly?

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by mikesingh

It seems crazier not to believe that! And yet a lot of people still do!

Mod Note: Excessive Quoting – Please Review This Link

[edit on Thu Apr 16 2009 by Jbird]

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD

Fascinating! This blew my mind. I also couldn't help but think while checking out the image, there is no way this 'just happened.'

Good thread.

See , here lies my problem with the whole thing. I do not dispute the fact that something intelligent ( any way you want to describe intelligence) had to have its hand in the creation of "all this" .

But see here is the problem for me , why in the world are "we" supposed to be more special than *here close your eyes and point anywhere on the universe map* ? So we have this humongous universe(and probably much much more but we cant see that) but we are told to believe that our speck of dust is importand?

I dont want to start a flame war so please if somebody was deeply offended by this u2u me
, but this idea just bothered me so much and this is a great thread to put it in

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thill
But see here is the problem for me , why in the world are "we" supposed to be more special than *here close your eyes and point anywhere on the universe map* ?

So we have this humongous universe(and probably much much more but we cant see that) but we are told to believe that our speck of dust is importand?

Very good point

Ann Druyan just about sums it up when talking about this image:

Photograph of planet Earth taken by Voyager 1 which was 4 billion miles away:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b690d8cda0ad.jpg[/atsimg]

Ann Druyan suggest an experiment: Look again at the pale blue dot image. Take a good long look at it. Stare at the dot for any length of time and then try to convince yourself that God created the whole Universe for one of the 10 million or so species of life that inhabit that speck of dust. Now take it a step further: Imagine that everything was made just for a single shade of that species, or gender, or ethnic or religious subdivision. If this doesn't strike you as unlikely, pick another dot. Imagine it to be inhabited by a different form of intelligent life. They, too, cherish the notion of a God who has created everything for their benefit. How seriously do you take their claim?

As does physicist,Peter Walker:

“The supreme arrogance of religious thinking: that a carbon-based bag of mostly water on a speck of iron-silicate dust around a boring dwarf star in a minor galaxy … would look up at the sky and declare, ‘It was all made just so that I could exist!’”
Physicist Peter Walker

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

Eh, too bad the concept of a "higher power" is not sole dependent upon the idea that we are exceptionally special to it. But I do love the non-antireligious propaganda perspective of it and how showing it is of just how small we really are.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by jeddun
wow..the sheer magnitude of these images are breathtaking. To me you are seeing God in his/her/its true form. The source of all cosmic "light' in these membrane(s) of dark matter IS God. That image of the cross section of the universe IS God. .

Good post -perhaps the universe is one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively

There are some intruiging work being done in the field of Quantum holography..
en.wikipedia.org...
www.twm.co.nz...
Vid:
www.youtube.com...

..and,although its only speculation,theres some interesting reading here on quantum consciousness:
www.quantumconsciousness.org...
Cheers.

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Canis Majoris is ALMOST as big as my mother-in-laws ass!...

This is a REALLY cool presentation of scale. Friggin phenomenal! I knew that our star is not amongst the largest, but I had no Idea how minuscule it is in comparison to some...

Stars larger than our entire solar system...I want to meet a woman from one of their planets...MAYBE I can finally find a woman bigger than me

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Just imagine this....

If the Sun were a ball 10 inches in diameter, the Earth would be 89 feet away. The nearest star, proxima Centauri, 4726 miles or 7597 km away!!
And it's just 4.2 light years from here! We're talking in terms of billions of light years!

My brains are fried. I need to recuperate. Headin' for the bar.

Cheers!

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   

What a great feature you bring to us… It’s amazing how small we are.
And then to think that it could mean nothing to the galaxy if we all would vanish from the face of the galaxy.
Because there are so many stars with planets who are not as hostile as our planet is.
We are just an annoying bug that you smash to the wall..
I would say let stop the nonsense on our planet and let them know that we want to coexist in peace along all those other stars, planets and inhabitants who live on them.

It’s not how small we are but how BIG we can act.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

I find it rather amuzing and a little sad when people try to use the immensity of the universe to make the human being feel small and insignificant, to the point of having no value of any kind. For those people I would suggest they begin to investigate the work of phycisist David Bohm and his description of a holographic universe, and they may also consider the possbility, that inhabiting this entire sphere of existence, is one spirit of infinite intelligence, flowing everywhere, and that we are included in it's design for a reason and a purpose.

Mod Note: Excessive Quoting – Please Review This Link

[edit on Thu Apr 16 2009 by Jbird]

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join