It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The universe is big - [IMAGE]

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   
amazing thread! couple things i wanted to say.

1st off i watched all the videos and pictures and i must say my fave is the "pale blue dot". that is the very 1st time i seen a pic of earth from that perspective. i didn't even know we had pics of earth from that far away but its absolutely breath taking.

I don't believe in god as most people, but i definitely believe in a Supreme Consciousness. I also believe that everything is connected throughout the universe like a big spiderweb. I don't think we are insignificant. I'm a big believer in cause and affect, even on a mass scale. In other words, do good things and those vibes are sent rippling throughout, no matter how small it may be.

The size of the universe is something i can ponder on and its like it just goes on forever. One of my fave moments was a time where me and some friends were laying on the beach one night staring at the stars and listening to the ocean and got into this huge convo on how small we are compared to whats out there. Our galaxy is comparable to a grain of sand.....its crazy.

and i don't understand either how people can think that we are the only planet with intelligent life. when i was in college we had to write a report on supporting something we believed in and i did mine on the debate of life existing on other planets....i wish i still had a copy of that! anyway i cant remember what theory it was but one of the theories is there are 3 categories of life on other planets, there are some that are just starting like in the caveman days, then there are some with beings that are at about the same level of technology as us, and then there are those planets whose beings are far more advanced than us. I ended up getting an A+ on my paper and im going to have to dig around and see if i can find that cause i would def post it on this site.

to the OP- great thread, S&f for you!

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by AlwaysQuestion

Correction, the Universe isn't just big, it is infinite!
Ok maybe the known physical Universe began with the big bang perhaps,
and has some outer distance from the centre of the big bang where there are no stars or anything at all, but the space the known universe occupies truly is infinite, never ending or beginning either in space or time!

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I don't agree with "we are so insignificant". With staying in the realms of board rules and not ripping you apart for saying that, WAKE UP! We ARE significant! That's the damn problem with this world. People thinking human life is insignificant. People take life for granted. The devil a.k.a Satan WANTS people to think they are insignificant and in term the whole human race. Common wake up!!

The universe is God's grand present to us. We can only take peeks at it now and then. When the human race learns to get along with one another, the universe will open it's doors to all life.

Likewise I don't entirely agree with you, I'm sure Johnsky was meaning we are so insignificant in relation to the grand scheme of things, how tiny we are in relation to universe. Not that we are completly insignificant and what we do and how we live lives doesn't matter, because for us, if only us, as i'm sure everyones aware it does matter.
As for the Universe being Gods present to us I have know idea what your talking about, we should learn to get along, we should aim for a utopian society, but even if we had one the Universe isn't going to suddenly open its doors as you say, that is a ridiculous idea!

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by communicator
Thanks for the great post...

we are really small... so are we alone in this vast vast universe....
Are we the only??? I dont think so... we are just nothing....

There may be many civilization like us... only thing is they are so apart, but why are they so apart??

Personaly I think this is a good thing, its bad enough trying to stave off a one world goverment, AKA superpower, let alone a one universe gorverment!

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkSecret
. that's why it's hard to me to understand what's all the fuss about killing each other in the name of religion, land, money or other such insignificant things. life is the most precious thing we have and we should treasure each beautiful moment because once it's gone it never comes back.

Life is the least precious thing we have. Life is only Fear. The body is not alive and can never be alive. It is just an organic machine of consciousness.

The Universe is Both Infinity Large and Infinitely Small. In Hinduism it is represented by the Dot on the forehead. It is said that the entire Universe fits within that Dot or rather Point of Being.

from wiki:
Bindu (Sanskrit: बिंदु, Bindu) is a Sanskrit term meaning "point" or "dot". The feminine case ending is Bindi which denotes a small ornamental, devotional and/or mystical dot that is cosmetically applied or affixed to the forehead in Hinduism.[1]

In metaphysical terms Bindu is held to be the point at which begins creation and the point at which the unity becomes the many. It is also described as "the sacred symbol of the cosmos in its unmanifested state" [3].

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Very nice image, I had seen this months ago, and only now I have a question.

If we can see that far into the universe, are we able to spy on other planets?

I've never seen any surface images of any other planet besides Mars.

Just curious on the power of the telescope.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky

Nice post
Here's a GIF that animates some of the images in sequence...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ebc17f195a38.gif[/atsimg]

A thread with a similar theme...Carl Sagan's Pale Blue Dot

[edit on 14-4-2009 by Kandinsky]

exactly, Pale Blue Dot,

even better, Time Space and Knowledge

pale blue dot is the kids version of this stuff

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   
how absurd are these people. trying to find the end of an universe which is created by stabilised and fluctuating thought.

gosh. what hilarity. yet benign idiocy

its endless. are you gonna go there? oh no, we cant. we will just look at it for ages. and then realise were still here

its like window shopping and never going in

everything is thought duh

such drivelous attention to the physical. oooh its space. well yes it is. so you fill it with stuff.

its endless. why not focus on your wives children and the dieing PLANET?????

that would be sensible!!!

think about the things close that need changing, like your diapers, nasa

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Those pictures are mind bending. The size of those stars are unnatural. The universe really is an amazing place

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Star & Flag! The Universe is so Big it's beyond the human comprehension to understand (see).

And then imagine this: could there be even more countless Universes? To an extend we (humans) are not able to see?

All IS, all was and ever shall be, somewhere out there

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   

500 years ago people knew the earth was ROUND, that stupid american song started people says 500 years ago......

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   
It's amazing how massive some stars are. We will never find out how big the universe is.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Thats insane... things that big in our own galaxy!

As for the picture of all those galaxies, it somewhat put it into perspective when people talk about life on other planets... there's got to be at least a few thousand civilizations out there.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I keep coming back and looking at this picture, cant get my head round it!

First time I looked at it it made me think how can their NOT be thousands of other civilizations around? Even if we havent had any contact with them yet.. it would be like looking for a needle in a haystack, except 1000000000000000 x more difficult!

Made me think about religion as well... God created earth and we're all lucky/special little people on it, but when it comes down to it, we couldnt actually be more insignificant in comparison with the size of the universe.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Truly AMAZING! space is never ending

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Thank you... Thank you for making me feel small and insignificant.

I am going to crouch in a corner and cry now (jk)

though for just a taste of the immensity of the universe, one only needs to look up at the stars.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I love space science. Carl Sagan's COSMOS is something everybody needs to watch!

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Look at our bodies. There is so much going on inside ourselves that we don't even know about or realize. That comparison of a brain cell and the universe really blew me away. What if everything in our universe is all just apart of a larger system. Maybe that system is inside our "creator." And perhaps, like us, the creator has no control over (or maybe is even oblivious to) our known universe and everything about it. I'm going to do some pondering at work. Great thread and I'll be back to check it tonight!

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astronaut Down
I love space science. Carl Sagan's COSMOS is something everybody needs to watch!

I concur

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
very awsome post....

one cant help but wonder what unbeleivable things are out there...!!!

amazing!

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join