It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The universe is big - [IMAGE]

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky
Every time I put it back into perspective it amazes me again and again.

Looking at just how truly vast the universe is... well, nothing makes me cry, but this almost makes me shed a tear.

The universe is so absolutely incredible... and we are so insignificant.

I don't agree with "we are so insignificant". With staying in the realms of board rules and not ripping you apart for saying that, WAKE UP! We ARE significant! That's the damn problem with this world. People thinking human life is insignificant. People take life for granted. The devil a.k.a Satan WANTS people to think they are insignificant and in term the whole human race. Common wake up!!

The universe is God's grand present to us. We can only take peeks at it now and then. When the human race learns to get along with one another, the universe will open it's doors to all life.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by undo
reply to post by AlwaysQuestion

awesome. i especially was amazed at the star that was several times larger than our entire solar system
egads, that's a big bugger!

In fact what we believe will happen to our sun in about 600 million years (I've read different timings, but all are nothing for us to worry about) is that our star will loose Hydrogen and expand beyond the orbit of Mars!

Earth will be vaporized by then, but our current orbit will be well within the star.

There are stars, Super Giants that make that small too.

I gave up trying to put it all into perspective years ago and are just enjoying the ride!

ZG

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by plumranch

absolutely i agree. if something is largely considered 'infinite', how can there have been a starting point..?
reply to post by raul bloodworth

There is/was a starting point because everything has a starting point! That is how humans think. Everything has a beginning, right?

Try to imagine a steady state universe in which everything is in flux but maintains a constant equilibrium. And that equilibrium has ALWAYS existed. Not just for 13 billion years but the 13 billion before that and on and on, forever.

Having a hard time imagining that? I do.

Then imatine that outside our universe there are other universes, perhaps as many other universes as there are galaxies in our universe. This may be closer to the truth. But sadly we can't see that far yet. Hubble has only hinted of the existance of other universes.

oh no no dude, you misunderstood me. i was in agreement that with infinity, it seems likely there is no starting point...sorry, reading back my original quote, i can see how you misinterpreted what i said

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
It would be so great to be able to travel & explore space . Imagine what you would find. One day humans will set foot on another planet & start to live on other worlds.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sth Hemisphere
It would be so great to be able to travel & explore space . Imagine what you would find. One day humans will set foot on another planet & start to live on other worlds.

I believe this is the best attitude to take.

There is a talent our species finds natural at a basic level, and that is exploration. Everything about us gets excited. Look what happened to our society after we landed on the moon.

Imagine when we reach a whole new solar system, or discover technologies that could take us to other galaxies and billions of solar systems.

Planetary probes aside, we're still just exploring the Earth/Moon.

Some think we have the technology already.

ZG

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I personally don't think god comes into the equation, not being religious myself.

But even then it's the dead end argument of "But where did God come from?" with a similar notion of "Where did the universe come from, if not God?"

I watched Contact (the film) last night, and right at the end when they ask Ellie about what happened, they don't believe her.

Now i see that as hypocritical, many in that room believed in God, on faith, rather than physical fact, yet they said "you have no physical evidence of your journey". Haha!

I look at these sorts of pictures alot and it amazes me how many galaxies there actually are, and to believe there is not a SINGLE one out there that has other forms of life is crazy.

Great post.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Thanks for the great post...

we are really small... so are we alone in this vast vast universe....
Are we the only??? I dont think so... we are just nothing....

There may be many civilization like us... only thing is they are so apart, but why are they so apart??

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Fantastic perspective.
Makes you wish you could travel instantly and visit all those other civilizations
. I wonder how religion deals with this.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I've made numerous posts in this and other threads offering a theological perspective, based on the most recent findings of modern science, including the idea of a non-local, transluminally interconnected and interdependant, holographic universe, which appears to be a consciousness generated construct founded on sacred geometry. And finally, I purport that evolution does not occur in isolation, but is universally distributed, the implication of which is, since man is the new kid on the block so to speak, that the psysiology and psycho-spiritual makeup of the human being, may very well represent the apex of a longgggg evolutionary process. In other words man is created in God's image (sacred geometry), and is "the last who is first" in the grand scheme of things, and though we are prone to the contamination of evil and separation (perhaps due to a strong left-right brain duality) the one being made by design to contain the fullness of the spirit of God/spirit of the universe. In this sense a mere man interpretating himself and his own body as the temple of the living God, making a sacrificial atonement for the sins of the one and the many, while retaining perfect integrity through a meaningful death, unto a resurrection of life meeting life, may not be "out of bounds" - since in the quantum realm, given enough time, anything, anyting at all, is not only possible, but probable and eventually actual.

Within this "cosmological Christian" viewpoint, yes, the degree of solipsism for the individual human being, is as boundless as the love extended from "on high".

"As above, so below."

[edit on 17-4-2009 by OmegaPoint]

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   

oh no no dude, you misunderstood me. i was in agreement that with infinity, it seems likely there is no starting point...sorry, reading back my original quote, i can see how you misinterpreted what i said
reply to post by raul bloodworth

I believe I understand where you (and Mike Singh) stand (regarding the expanding universe and the big bang). I wasn't that clear in my post. I enjoy doing a rant from time to time about how little is understood and/or how much is misunderstood about the universe or even the microverse for that matter.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
This is what i think!

This might not be a fact i haven't tried to look for facts other then just making a thought.

Everything that exists is either plus or minus. Matter and Fri energy can't ever be absolute Vacuum.

So everything that exists has got to have some kind of pressure.

Matter is: Energy pressured together with other energies to build a matter.

A rock for example is energy pressured to together with other energies to form a solid.

Water is gasses pressured together with different types of gasses to create a fluid.

Air is 20/80 mixture of gasses who hardly has or makes up pressure only 1 bar at sea level. The higher up you go the thinner the air gets meaning less pressure= less gasses.

Space has hardly any pressure or positive temperature at all so you will hardly find any matter or energy in space. Mostly dark matter.
Space is the aria in the universe where pressure is closest to a vacuum. Where black holes are even closer to a vacuum. Being able to suck in even dark matter.

If i think about pressure and infinity i know that pressure cant have been there for infinity. Now this is just a guess.

But if you look at it this way.

Matter is energy pressured together by other energies. Energy is either plus or minus. Never a vacuum.

That means you have a two different energies with two different charges of power. What can create these two separate energies?

One single element of matter with a stable charge cant. Unless there is a external source of energy to pressure it up. But where did the singularity come from in the first place?

Even dark energy and dark matter has got be created somehow.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by spy66

A rock for example is energy pressured to together with other energies to form a solid.

Rock is not quite a solid though is it really, well not under the influence of liquid iron with a tempreture 1000 degrees hotter than the suface of the sun.

its stored the tempreture from the creation of the solar system, and causes rock to be solid, yet liquid.
convection that makes the rock syrup like.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sparkey76

Originally posted by spy66

Rock is not quite a solid though is it really, well not under the influence of liquid iron with a tempreture 1000 degrees hotter than the suface of the sun.

its stored the tempreture from the creation of the solar system, and causes rock to be solid, yet liquid.
convection that makes the rock syrup like.

Well heat or temperature is pressure. High pressure. A solid is what occurs when you loss pressure/temperature.

That's why the earths core is a liquid in the center. And it comes from pressure.

[edit on 27.06.08 by spy66]

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by OmegaPoint
I've made numerous posts in this and other threads offering a theological perspective, based on the most recent findings of modern science, including the idea of a non-local, transluminally interconnected and interdependant, holographic universe, which appears to be a consciousness generated construct founded on sacred geometry. And finally, I purport that evolution does not occur in isolation, but is universally distributed, the implication of which is, since man is the new kid on the block so to speak, that the psysiology and psycho-spiritual makeup of the human being, may very well represent the apex of a longgggg evolutionary process. In other words man is created in God's image (sacred geometry), and is "the last who is first" in the grand scheme of things, and though we are prone to the contamination of evil and separation (perhaps due to a strong left-right brain duality) the one being made by design to contain the fullness of the spirit of God/spirit of the universe. In this sense a mere man interpretating himself and his own body as the temple of the living God, making a sacrificial atonement for the sins of the one and the many, while retaining perfect integrity through a meaningful death, unto a resurrection of life meeting life, may not be "out of bounds" - since in the quantum realm, given enough time, anything, anyting at all, is not only possible, but probable and eventually actual.

Within this "cosmological Christian" viewpoint, yes, the degree of solipsism for the individual human being, is as boundless as the love extended from "on high".

"As above, so below."

[edit on 17-4-2009 by OmegaPoint]

wow, really well said man. i like what you were getting at. clearly a spiritual person. going off topic here, i know, but a quick question before getting back on topic - have you read much of ken wilber's stuff? i felt that you may have had some of his influence...just curious..

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by OmegaPoint
reply to post by karl 12

I find it rather amusing and a little sad when people try to use the immensity of the universe to make the human being feel small and insignificant

Whos done that then?

I would agree with this quote though:

It doesn't seem to me that this fantastically marvelous universe, this tremendous range of time and space and different kinds of animals, and all the different planets, and all these atoms with all their motions, and so on, all this complicated thing can merely be a stage so that God can watch human beings struggle for good and evil - which is the view that religion has. The stage is too big for the drama. — Richard Feynman

For those people I would suggest they begin to investigate the work of phycisist David Bohm and his description of a holographic universe

Yes,I've posted a few links about Quantum holography - interesting stuff.

Doesn't it detract from the abrahamic opinion of god being
outside though?

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   
What I seem to find truly awe inspiring (though, perhaps not in a positive way), is the fact that all of these images and everything we know about how the universe formed, it's structure, and it's sheer mind-boggling volume are brought to us solely through advances in science and technology. Yet... so many here seem willing to use these images that only science has brought us, to deride the scientific method which brought us these discoveries in order to promote superstitions, meta-physical magics, pseudo-philosophical ramblings, theological musings, and other such nonsense which has thus far provided humanity with not one scrap of knowledge or discovery that even begins to compare to the sheer awe of what science has revealed about the natural world.

I am simply humbled by the sheer audacity of it.

[edit on 18-4-2009 by Lasheic]

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by communicator
Thanks for the great post...

we are really small... so are we alone in this vast vast universe....
Are we the only??? I dont think so... we are just nothing....

There may be many civilization like us... only thing is they are so apart, but why are they so apart??

the continents were separated by oceans that we learned how to sail. how well did that work out for the less developed civilizations on the other shore?

i would assume that every intelligent species that managed to survive long enough to make it into space will (just like humans) be quite violent because they had to compete for resources with each other and other species.

now think about civilizations packed together in a space that could be (eventually) traversed within a "short" (as compared to our lifespan) period of time. does that bring up any images of fire and destruction?

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 03:21 AM
link   

I don't agree with "we are so insignificant". With staying in the realms of board rules and not ripping you apart for saying that, WAKE UP! We ARE significant! That's the damn problem with this world. People thinking human life is insignificant. People take life for granted. The devil a.k.a Satan WANTS people to think they are insignificant and in term the whole human race. Common wake up!!

The universe is God's grand present to us. We can only take peeks at it now and then. When the human race learns to get along with one another, the universe will open it's doors to all life.

First, I don't believe that the lives of people are insignificant, most people hold it to be quite precious. So you're saying that our friend Satan is trying to DECIEVE us? Do you realize that you're also in the entirely wrong place to spread your word?

We are insignificant in that the population changes constantly, but other than that, there's nothing insignificant about the human race. Even a single person will have a rippling effect throughout his community by simply interacting with one person.

Example: DJ lives in a neighborhood where people often help each other.
DJ sees Frank with a broken lawn mower, and helps him out.
Frank now feels better, and when Frank sees a man having trouble changing his tire on the roadside, stops to help.
This could go on for days, and probably will if allowed to continue.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Kiltedninja

ninja, your example of 'DJ' and his neighborhood is a bit like the movie "Pay It Forward".

Or, is it more complicated than that??

Because, in a really, really BIG Universe then it would behoove people to act less selfishly....

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
reply to post by Kiltedninja

ninja, your example of 'DJ' and his neighborhood is a bit like the movie "Pay It Forward".

Or, is it more complicated than that??

Because, in a really, really BIG Universe then it would behoove people to act less selfishly....

Pay it Forward is a cool movie, but it's bigger than that too, because that's how it happens.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join