It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parents have no discipline....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I am a highschool student, and I'm in the A+ tutor program where you tutor kids and get 2 years of tuition for 50hrs of tutoring. I am currently tutoring 5th and 6th graders at a lo cal elementary school. Ok, so when I told him to start on his work and as if he needed help, he replied and began. About halfway through the hour, he tells me he was suspended for harrasing a kid..and he laughed about it. Then he decided to throw a pencil at another student and told him he was going to stab him. That is when I began to wonder...what kind of parents does he have. For the rest of the hour he was rude to me, other students and an advisor teacher, saying things I don't think he should have any buisness talking about. An example would be when he told a child of Hispanic ethnicity that he was a "Spick." That is when I told the teacher I wasn't going to tutor him if he was going to be obnoxious etc. What has happened to discipline? What has happened to teaching your kids to respect someone and respect teachers? I know if my parents found out that I said that I would get smacked upside the head. I really would like to know how people can raise their kids to be like this, and not care that it is happening?

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
you're just now noticing this?!

i've noticed this for about 15 years now, and have come to the conclusion that a child's as only as good as he's raised, and with all these young, unruly children having their own children at such a young age, it's almost unavoidable...

it all comes down to neglectful parents not giving a CRAP about their child because they're so selfish and careless...

do you blame them though?? that's how this country is teaching us to act - obnoxious, rude, cocky - because we're better than all the other countries in the world, and we're more important than you!

it makes me sick really, because we ALL should be treated as equals, worldwide. we're no better than anyone, but try telling a "proud (brainwashed) American" that...

[edit on 31-3-2009 by adrenochrome]

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by adrenochrome

B.S. Bad parents are bad parents. And some kids are more difficult than others.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Either his parents are those "let him express himself" types who equate beating a peer with a baseball to sculpting the David regarding self expression or his parents are themselves the product of less than capable parenting.

Once one pair of idiots have a kid the cycle is nigh impossible to break.

That kid will be raised an idiot and hence birth and nurture idiots of his own and so on and so on.

Idiocracy. It's not just a movie.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Grumble

thanks for elaborating!

and i believe you're in denial if you think our society is actually taking care of our youth... kids are worse than ever these days, no thanks to our selfish American ways/upbringing!

reply to post by thisguyrighthere

and what a great movie!!!

the "dumbing-down" of America is proceding at an alarming rate..

[edit on 31-3-2009 by adrenochrome]

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I would change the title and say some parents.

If that was my child who had treated you that way, all you would have had to do is call me. I would have been up there pretty darn quick and handled the situation in a timely fashion. By the time I was getting ready to leave, you would have noticed the change in my child and would have admired the courtesy and respect my child would have given to you from then on out.

Please don't let the bad ones prevent you from helping those who really need you.

Admire you helping them and one day they will see you on the street and thank you for changing their life around.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   
My parents disciplined me well as I did my Son & Daughter & as my Daughter & her Husband is their two children. Having said that I went to High School in the early 70's & even though my parents disciplined me well I was playing in a little band by the 9th grade, making money on the weekends plus holding down a day job at a local Grocery Store. Having said that, whilst in School we sure did have some fun loads of fun, Super Gluing people to their metal stools in Art Class/setting stink bombs in the air vents/placing a Teachers VW Beetle inbetween two phone booths. Hell we one went out one night (I believe I was in the 10th grade) & put soap flakes in the big fountain in front of the County Courthouse, they had pictures of the suds up & down the street in the paper the next day. One friend could do a radio station voice & we would call folks & tell them if they answered a trivia question (Easy of course) that they would win a Record of their choice at one of the record stores. We would make sure to be there at the time we told them to come down, & would be rolling when they confronted the store worker about their "free Record" I never threw a pencil at anyone though, it could take your eye out! Sound familiar?

[edit on 31-3-2009 by smokehouseslim]

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure bullies have always existed. You don't need bad parents to be a snotty little brat, just bad social skills.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Finally, someone else saying what I've been saying for almost 20 years now. Thank you.

Please do not blame the parents or call them Bad Parents. These people were not shown a better way and so they cannot be any other way until they are shown. It is not the individuals fault, it is the fault of the society we live in.

Back in the early 80's media began it's production of more explicit violence and sex in films and Television. Governments enacted laws to disempower parents so that we could not legally do anything other than talk or bribe our kids into better behaviours, which never worked anyway.

Today, I see a mass mind-programming of our young kids, worse than at any other time I know of, and I am almost 50 years old now. This programming is found in every possible avenue of the media as it shows what behaviours are expected from our kids. None of those behaviours are what I would want for our children.

Here in Australia, we have lost our unique flavor, we are fast becoming clones of the American street/gangsta mentality. And this is supported by the music our kids want to listen to, by the TV shows they want to watch, and by their own peer groups who know no better.

This is a problem over 20 years in the making, and there are no simple answers.

I try. I do not let my daughter watch a lot of the stuff on TV that shows the behaviours I do not want to see her copy. Yet so many other parents told me I need to get up with the times, stop doing what I was doing because it would cause my girl problems as she grew up, and it has. Not because of what I have done, but simply because other parents allow what I do not, and they are the majority, so my girl feels like an outsider in her own youth culture. She does not fit in, even though she really wants to.

We are at fault. We let this happen. No one bothered to stand up and say, "We do not want this music in our country. We do not want these TV shows here. We do not want advertising showing that kids can do awful things with no consequences. We do not want the sexualization of our young children to continue."

Most people misunderstand the old saying, "Spare the rod and spoil the child." People think it means not to smack our kids, spoil them instead with things and freedoms. It does not mean that at all. What it does mean is simply this: If you do not provide consequences to actions, you will spoil that person... meaning ruin that person.

My sister and I had some rousing arguments over parenting styles when she told me she was fed up with fighting with her two girls all the time, so she was going to copy how some other parents she knew were parenting. Which was to spoil the kid, give them everything they ask for, never ask for anything in return, never ask for responsibility, never expect input into the day to day working of the home, etc. I told her this was not parenting, she replied that it was, she called it easy parenting. I called it giving up on your kids! We still have not reached agreement, but her girls have gone wild, acting as if the world owes them something and treat everyone like sh!t unless they want something from you.

Time to stand up people. Time to stop this degeneration of our youth. Time to ginve them a future again. Time to give then boundaries not bleeding heart syndrome.

I would like to see parents go back to parenting. I would like to see them monitor what their kids watch, what they listen to and what they do.

I do not want my daughter following the media images of "girls are for pleasing guys, and guys are soldiers" That is not reality, that is street mentality and it is now the dominant mind-set of youth culture in the western world.

Stand up now people. If you don't then you are adding to the chaos that will be the end result of this long term indoctrination process which was designed to disempower the family and cause its breakdown.

[edit on 31-3-2009 by Tayesin]

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Now I will agree that a child is only as good as his parents have raised him. It is a parent's job to teach their child to be tolerant and sociable.

However I will say that there are kids who are harder to deal with than others, my son for a time was like this when he was younger. It took a couple of stern words but that's all it ever took to turn him around. Children who act out are looking for attention from their family, their parents. It is the parent's responsibility to acknowledge and attempt to change the destructive behaviour of that child. Children do not fix themselves, they keep it bottled until they can't anymore and it results in behavioural outbursts.

Parent's need to be spending time witht heir kids, they need to realize that adults are not to be feared, but to be respected when they provide a level of respect to the child.

It all comes down to time spent with your child. Taking them to McDonald's doesn't count. Watching TV, doesn't count. You actually need to partake in an educational and family bonding activity like LEAVING your home or having game nights. Things that will stimulate intelligence and teach your children how to deal in social situations with people who might not be the same.

And I know it is every parent's want to spend alot of time with their kids and sometimes the financial situation, work or even marital issues can get in the way of that. But we must think children first, you are building a person, and who that person becomes all depends on your behaviour and imput in the first 10 years of that child's life.

~Keeper

[edit on 3/31/2009 by tothetenthpower]

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   
It's not the kids fault. It's the parents fault for not getting a belt or a tree whip and beating the hell out of them from an early age.

That's why so many of them are out of control these days. They're basically parenting the parents and they do nothing about it.

Now back in the good old days, kids had some manners. If you talked back to your parents, you could expect some form of punishment immediately.... Jeez, now I sound old and (un-cool in today's society)

[edit on 31-3-2009 by doorbell412]

top topics

join