It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you know a Lazy American?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
This is about someone I know...not people in general who are unemployment. Please don't confuse the two.

This morning I had a discussion with my wife about her brother-in-law. This guy is the perfect definition of a lazy American.

The guy has been nothing but a leech to the system and everyone else around him.

He lost his job because of mistakes at work and unwillingness to go to work. He made 25.00 dollars an hour. He would miss work at least once a week. He maxed out all of his credit cards, defaulted on loans, and had his vehicle repossessed. His wife has her wages garnished to pay for his debt.

He has SAT on unemployment for almost a full year now and has not put in no effort to get a job, yet he's always whining about how tough it is. Then you'll see him go out to the movies, buy DVD's and CD's, basically waste money that he should be using to pay bills and feed the family.

This is the type of person that has helped this country get to where it is today, a debtor nation.

IMO the guy is a complete LOSER. A bum....A LEECH.

He does not care even as the whole system begins to fall apart in the process.

I"d love to punch him in the face....but I can't obviously for family reasons.

Do you know a lazy American??

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
No, but I know a few awful judgmental ones.

peace

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Sorry to say, YES, more than one, who fall under your description.

I will not denigrate their character as I know the circumstances which have befallen them. Not everyone is "lazy" by choice. Those of which speak have been pushed to the side or put off by the system. They suffer from PTSD from the 'Nam, the VA has done very little for them, in spite of numerous pleas for help.

They have become filled with despair, and feel abandoned.

Some have benefits (disability) and go through a spending spree when the check comes in, then wonder where it went when they don't have the money to pay bills.

My roommate/ friend of 50+ years falls into your description.

He has tried for 20 years to get on disability. The PTSD, combined with depression has made it very difficult to maintain a normal lifestyle, so, he has all but given up on LIFE. His outlook is very negative and suicide is a concern for myself and his daughter.

I realize that the OP is about laziness, and I post this to point out that there are lazy people, but some do fit the category due to factors that are beyond their control.

PTSD and depression, are not a good combination.

Without knowing the causes, it is so very easy to label...

Hug a veteran, many have been through Hell, and many are still...

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
My cousin fits the bill perfectly.

He is 36 years old and other than a couple room-mates, he has NEVER lived on his own. When his father was alive, he would put him on a carton of smokes and 20$ a week ration.

I had him living with me for the past 4 months. He would do any chore I asked him but had ZERO motivation to do the chores without being asked.

The final straw was when I caught him smoking in MY house....I had already once talked to him about that but the second time was just pure disrespect IMO. Here this guy has sat here, lived off of me and then has the balls to disrespect my house rules. Needless to say, he is back living with his mother.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
"Denigrate their character?"
"Being judgemental?"
What in the blue hell is this noise about? Who supports people on unemployment and welfare? According to my biweekly paycheck, I DO. Myself and everyone else paying taxes supports them. If they take issue with whatever assessment I make about them while they're living on my dime, then they can feel free to 'quit' and abandon that check I pay for. Until that day, they have no reasonable expectation of their action (or inaction) not being under some scrutiny and open to criticism.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Um... This space for rent

(Double post, sorry)

[edit on 7-2-2009 by burdman30ott6]

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   

He sounds like a depressed American who needs medication and a good psychiatrist.

Spending and lethargy are hallmark signs of a mental disorder.

Men take losing a job far harder then women do.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
No, but I know a few awful judgmental ones.

peace

So do I.

Those who judge that all are equal and thus must have the same amount of money regardless of their input.

Those who judge that a man is not responsible for himself and must therefore be looked after by others.

Those who judge that the hard workers must be penalised to subsidize the existence of the workshy.

Don't come here talking about judgments. My politics would leave all free and unoppressed. It is your side that makes the judgements and then enforces them by implicit threat of physical coercion.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Do you know a Lazy American?

Yes I do and I also know a Lazy Canadian and a Lazy Mexican, a Lazy Britt.

Heck I even know a fat Ethiopian.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Excuse me, but I said nothing about unemployment, nor welfare in my post in connection with those that I know.
Disability benefits, for a veteran of the US military, is considered the governments teat?

May I ask what branch, and under what circumstances YOU have served our country?

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
He sounds like a depressed American who needs medication and a good psychiatrist.

Spending and lethargy are hallmark signs of a mental disorder.

Men take losing a job far harder then women do.

Maybe he has lived his whole life unwilling to lift a finger for himself or others? I know many like this, in they do just the minimum to get by, and put forth more energy to not work then if they actually worked. It makes me laugh when I see someone spend all day trying not to do a 15 minute job.

America is full of this type that live a life of apathy while complaining the whole world owes them. Go to other countries where people work hard all day just to put one meal on the table and see the difference in attitude. Though I’m all for locking our borders and creating a robust foreign work program, I am amazed in how Mexicans who put forth such great effort to sneak into our country for work. These people will bust their butt for a full 12 hours and then thank you for the opportunity to work while getting paid well below what any American would work for.

My sister and her husband are true sloth’s of society. They complain all day of how their life sucks and the Government will not give them their due. They will not get a job that pays less than 20 dollars an hour, but they have zero skills to get a job at that pay. They say anything less is a waste of their time and lowers their dignity, and so they do not work. They put all their effort into scamming the system and fail to realize if they focused that same energy into getting ahead in life they would be living well, but they don’t and never will.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
This is one of the things I think about after a hard day at work, or thinking of the people I know who go to work with disabilities.

In no particular order:
#1: Son of a neighbor, was 23 years old when I met him. He had dropped out of high school and had no further education. He had two jobs years before I met him. One job was at a car wash, another at a fried chicken restaurant. Both jobs lasted less than one month. They told him to wash the pots at the chicken joint, but he hid them up in the ceiling tiles. The manager fired him for that.

He was passed around to various family members, all of whom claimed to be devout members of a fairly strict Christian denomination. This didn't stop them from giving him money for his daily pizza, smokes, and beer. That was his life, get up past noon, order pizza, fire up a cig, and start drinking by 6 p.m.. His excuse was he just couldn't get along with people when he had a job. (I wish I could get someone to support me because of that!)

#2 Husband of a coworker. He did have hepatitis, but in comparison, we had a coworker who had hepatitis, was on some experimental drug, but managed to drag himself to work every day, even when very anemic. The husband never went back to work, but decided to "invest" in coins. He racked up $50,000 worth of credit card charges on Ebay, etc., before his wife figured it out. She had to take a second mortgage to pay off the debt, and I guess pay the IRS for the income from selling the coins.

#3 Live-in boy friend of another coworker. The story was that he got laid off and just couldn't find a high paying job like he had before at the chemical plant. He would only work if he found what is called a "shut down" job. In two years, he worked about one month. When he got that paycheck, he blew it on Christmas presents and eating out. My coworker got NO help from this parasite that lived with her. She fed him, paid for his car, and gave him a roof over his head. I listened to a series of phone calls she made to him one day. She had a big limb that came down in the yard and asked him to cut it up. She called him to see how it was going. He hadn't started. This went on with several phone calls, a variety of excuses like he was still eating breakfast, the chain saw was out of oil, the saw was dull, and the best one, it was too late in the afternoon (after arguing with him since morning) and he would GET TOO SWEATY. she finally yelled at him, saying she wouldn't take him to Disney Land next week if he didn't get the limb cut and out at the curb for pick up! Can you imagine being 53 years old, sucking up the freebies, and being talked to like a recalcitrant child because you are a lazy bum?!! He couldn't even take the trash out because he couldn't get out of bed early enough!!

#4 Yet another coworker's husband. (Hospitals attract A LOT of codependents, in case you didn't know.) She worked two jobs, was taking classes to get her RN, and had a house and kid to take care of. The story was that the husband "couldn't find a job." This was back in the stock market boom in the '90s. He worked in CONSTRUCTION and the newspaper headlines back then would read, "Record Breaking Housing Starts, Building Supplies Cannot Keep Pace With Demand!" Someone asked her what he did all day and she said, "Sleeps on the couch."

#5 The former neighbor's grown son. When I was growing up the neighbors had a son who never went to work. He seemed perfectly able-bodied, but never had a job, even 10 years after high school. My father thought the guy was weird, and since I was a little girl back then, he used to watch the guy like a hawk.

I have a favorite category of my own: Grown People Who Have Never Moved Off of Mom's Property. This includes bringing a trailer house and parking it on Mom's property where they start breeding the next batch of lazy bums. There are two properties within sight of where I am now like that.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by 44soulslayer

Don't come here talking about judgments. My politics would leave all free and unoppressed. It is your side that makes the judgements and then enforces them by implicit threat of physical coercion.

?????

If that was posted at me I've no idea what you're trying get across...just sayin...

Anyway, my point being until you've lived someone else's life you've no idea what you would do in that persons position.

And if you don't like paying taxes for someone else - then quit paying them, lol.

If it was my brother-in-law I’d see what I could do to help him out instead of posting on the internet what a dirtball the guy is.

Where’s the class in that?

The OP could have posted about losers, bums and leaches without making it personal.

peace

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Hey, I know this guy personally. He doesn't care. It's not a mental disorder..that's just how he is. I'm not blasting people on unemployment. I've been on it myself. I lost my job 2 years ago due to outsourcing.

I could have sat on unemployment for up to 2 years. All I had to do to keep it was fill out just 1 job form each week online to get a check, but I didn't. It took me 2 months to get working again after sending out tons of resumes.

The guy is just enjoying his time off..waiting as long as he can before he has to get a job and in turn leeching off anyone who pays taxes.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

If it was my brother-in-law I’d see what I could do to help him out instead of posting on the internet what a dirtball the guy is.

See, that very well could be the problem for these lazy people. Yes, I know quite a few too.

These lazy people dont need help, because that is ALL they are used to getting. They take no responsibility for themselves and they live off the HELP of others.

Sometimes these lazy people need a good kick in the ass and for people to refuse to be their cruch.

Help does not always help.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
If I were an American taxpayer I would be more annoyed at my money being spent on the Iraq war, the billions to Israel and all of the bank bailouts. Lazy people are a drain on any society but I don't believe they are to blame for the economic failings in America because every country has lazy people and many have even more social security then the US. However while many countries have lazy people very few maintain empires, send billions to other countries so they can buy weapons or give large amounts of money to failing private enterprises.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
My former friend 'Mike' whom I mentioned in an article I had been putting him up for a while. It turned out he had no intention of pulling himself out. But our decision to ask him to find other accommodations had more to do with our own economic troubles than it did with him and his inequities.

He wound up stealing $600 from another friend, $100 from another, and maybe $20-$30 from me. A PSP game system and a cell phone(Neither belonged to me). I had put him up, free-room-and-board for 6 months straight, I won't get into the details, but suffice to say that I'm a giving human being, and find it difficult not to help those in need. To a point. I have a lot of patience, but this guy ran it thin, very thin. Before we totally cut him off he had been arrested for sleeping in his car(Yes this is true this does happen), So I let him stay a little longer, but I couldn't very well continue this trend as I was being layed off and I couldn't very well ask my girlfriend to foot the bill for him too. So I got him out. That's when he went on a stealing spree, then disappeared.

It was during those 6 months that I had noticed him trying for the easy way out. It is truly amazing how far people will go to avoid an honest days' work.

The friend he had stolen $600 from had allowed him refuge in his one room apartment while he went out of town, when he got back he found that 'Mike' had disappeared with his money his phone and PSP. He's probably picking the buds off the top of pot plants in California(As he said that he wanted to do that) by now.

He disappeared with my money, and several others' but this still would not deter me from being the giving individual that I am. Nor will it forestall the good natured efforts of those who lent their time and resources to this person. It will only make me a bit cautious and and less liberal with the kind of freedoms I allow my out-of-luck house guests to take with me and my abode.

A lesson learned.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I'm no facist, but the guy sounds like a leach. I can only assume people here are defending him because they are the same. The world is full of bums who don't do their fair share.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   
He is a professional bum. A Hobo essentially and he has been in this situation for a while, even before the economy took a dive. So no sympathy for him. No one should be defending his actions at all. Because if this had happened to them they would feel the same way...

This all happened about a week ago.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Mine is also about a Mike!

My ex, Mike, did not apply for college in his senior year, although he was very intelligent and could have gotten in. He did not go to night school. He worked at a creamery in the summer, and did nothing until the spring, when he got a job at Target. He applied and went to community college for one semester, but "forgot" to send in the money for the second, and stopped going. His parents baby him and he could not take care of himself if he tried. Laziest person I have ever met.

He is now dating a Junior in high school, and he works at Target. He is almost 20. Good job, Mike.

Oh, and I also have a bumper sticker on my Facebook that my friend gave me. "Friends don't let friends date people named Mike."

[edit on 2/7/2009 by ravenshadow13]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join