It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Worries About Meth Trends

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Having personally seen the results of methamphetamine abuse and severe addiction in a family member, watching someone I knew turn into something less than human, someone I indeed did not know, a life destroyed, potential lost, a real human tragedy. I can't escape the feeling that this is perhaps one of the greatest evils that can claim anyone. I believe ignorance and a desire to get high lead people to do it, yet once addicted for many there seems no way back, no end. Isn't that the definition of hell?

Some news today on methamphetamine...

Despite Dramatic Decline in Recent Years, Drug's Popularity Surged in 2008

abcnews.go.com...

After a dramatic decline over several years, the availability of methamphetamine -- a highly addictive stimulant "cooked" with chemicals from over-the-counter cold medications -- began to creep up in 2008.

The reversal, reported by the National Drug Intelligence Center (NDIC), worries law enforcement agencies. They've poured resources into treating an epidemic that crossed the country in recent years. Over 17,000 methamphetamine labs were discovered in 2004, tucked inside homes, barns, and vehicles. Among the dangerous byproducts: toxic waste, explosions, theft, and other crimes to support addiction.

"It's everywhere from soccer moms to someone who just got out of prison," says Sgt. Gary Higginbotham of the Jefferson County, Mo., sheriff's department, which led the nation in lab

For those who may be tempted to try this drug now or in the future, consider the extremely high risk of addiction, and the destruction of your life that will assuredly bring. It is a hell few can escape, a horrible way to live, and a slow painful way to die, you will lose everything except your desire for more meth, and you will not care. If there is hell on earth for mankind, meth can take you there, and keep you. So, DON'T DO IT.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Worse yet are the addicts that keep popping out brain damaged kids for other people to raise.

They need to make mandatory birth control a condition for parole and probation for drug addicts.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610
Worse yet are the addicts that keep popping out brain damaged kids for other people to raise.

Yeah, maybe rather than funding treatment of addiction they should consider mandatory sterilization of all addicts?

They need to make mandatory birth control a condition for parole and probation for drug addicts.

Why not make completed rehilibitation from addiction a mandatory condition for parole and probation of drug addicts?

Or better yet....

How about taking the cheapest way out, exterminate all addicts? Problem solved?

With the economic crisis, state and federal budget issues, funding should be considered... The tax payers money should be spent wisely and not wasted on drug prevention, or rehilibitation of addicts.

God forbid the day that undesirable humans breed and multiply.

It's too bad that some people look at addicts the way they do, because I can tell you from personal experience, it can happen to anyone... ANYONE!

[edit on 25-1-2009 by Walkswithfish]

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Walkswithfish
God forbid the day that undesirable humans breed and multiply.

God forbid people should be RESPONSIBLE for their own offspring right? They can breed like rats, yet they are not held to the same standard of rodent parentage (i.e. take care of what you produce). And rodents would not knowlingly poison their own offspring in utero.

[edit on 25-1-2009 by Sonya610]

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Scary stuff. If you need drugs, stick to drugs of nature, without chemical procession afterward.

I'm all for birth control..but if I think about that too much, I'll go into some directions Hitler once had
. Although the guy did have some solid ideas, shame he had many insane ones as well.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

True, but the core of the problem is addiction, address that and perhaps these vermin can breed without any of these issues?

With diseased rats the solution is far more simple.

Responsibility and consequences do not matter to a meth addict.

Fetal alcohol syndrome is likely more of a problem than damaged children birthed from meth addicted mothers. though I am not sure what the statistics are.

Again, education and prevention with rehabilitation for addicts would be the best way to go as far as addressing this problem. But the reality is that the focus will remain on the criminal aspects of addiction, so the problem will only get worse in my opinion. None of this actually matters to anyone, until it affects them personally. So pray it never does.

[edit on 25-1-2009 by Walkswithfish]

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Heroin, Crack and Meth will go up whilst the party drugs are illegal.

Why?

Because you and your mates take some party drugs and find out your government has been lieing to you, so you trust some damnable dealers over the government. It's pretty simple really.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
The solution to most of this is education. The sad thing is, they take all these intoxicants, from pot to meth, and lump them all together, as if they are all the same, and simply call them all "illegal drugs." Thus, what gets many people into trouble is that they start out trying pot, and then when they notice that THAT ain't so bad and not addictive, they move on up to the next prohibited substance on the list, thinking it ain't any different than the last. I know, it's illogical thinking, but that's the way many think, they just do not know the different.

Many have rationalized that if pot is illegal and ain't so bad for ya, well heck, all that other stuff must not be so bad either. Although I'm curious, and have investigated many things in life, I will not touch meth or any of those strongly addictive things. NEVER!

I too have seen what meth, and even coke, has done to some peoples minds. Their brains are half dead or worse, and even those that quit never truly get over their cravings to do those things again. Sometimes it's best to NOT KNOW what you are missing out on. Meth is a horrible tragedy that has claimed so many minds, and the damage is irreversible and the cravings are something many have to live with each and every day of the rest of their lives.

Don't mess with these addictive man made substances. Destroying your brain and having to live the rest of your life with a craving is not worth the experience. There ARE some things you really don't want to know about.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Divinorumus

Your argument falls down because it is very difficult to educate people on a public information basis, when it lies all over the place. (ask Frank.......). The relationships that people have with these bodies (or their opinion of them) is critical when dealing with dealers and peer pressure. I wish a government could be honest enough for education to work, but if a set of politicians told the truth, they would have to change the law, and worse still lose 'credibility' for the tissue of lies that went before. Government's standing in this is appalling, and only a full and formal depoliticised (which also means honest) review of the laws will gain any government the credibility to deal with this.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Divinorumus
The solution to most of this is education.

If it were only that simple. But just in case you are right, and anyone wants to learn more about meth go here...

en.wikipedia.org...

Physical Effects

The various physical effects of methamphetamine include, increased energy, change in libido, increased sweating, decrease in appetite (anorexia), insomnia, dilated pupils, tightened jaw muscles (trismus), teeth grinding (bruxism), itching, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, shortness of breath, involuntary body movements (twitches, grimacing, lip smacking, etc), increased heart rate, increased blood pressure, vasoconstriction, dry mouth, and a difficulty in urination. Serious physical effects include, possibly fatal lung and kidney disorders, possible brain damage, lowered resistance to illnesses, liver damage, heart attack, and stroke.

Psychological Effects

The psychological effects of methamphetamine include, euphoria, dysphoria, increased attention, increased alertness, excessive talking, rapid speech, irritability, nervousness, anxiety, paranoia, delusions of grandeur, panic, aggressive and sometimes violent behavior, severe depression, suicidal tendencies, hyperactivity and excitability, increased sense of well-being, and emotional lability. Occasionally excessive and/or chronic use of methamphetamine can lead to amphetamine psychosis, with side effects such as hallucinations, paranoia, delusions, and thought disorder.

Withdrawal Effects

Withdrawal from methamphetamine can produce effects such as craving, exhaustion, depression, mental confusion, restlessness and insomnia, deep or disturbed sleep sometimes lasting up to 48 hours, extreme hunger, psychotic reaction, and anxiety reactions...

Or here....

www.nida.nih.gov...

Methamphetamine is a very addictive stimulant drug that affects the central nervous system. It is a Schedule II stimulant, which means it has a high potential for abuse and is available only through a prescription that cannot be refilled. However, its medical uses are limited and the doses prescribed are much lower than those typically abused. Most of the methamphetamine abused in this country comes from foreign or domestic superlabs, although it can also be made in small, illegal laboratories, where its production endangers the people in the labs, neighbors, and the environment.

How is Methamphetamine Abused?

Methamphetamine is a white, odorless, bitter-tasting crystalline powder that easily dissolves in water or alcohol and is taken orally, intranasally (snorting the powder), by needle injection, or by smoking.

How Does Methamphetamine Affect the Brain?

Methamphetamine increases the release of very high levels of the brain chemical dopamine, which is involved in motivation, the experience of pleasure, and motor function, and is a common mechanism of action for most drugs of abuse.

Chronic methamphetamine abuse significantly changes how the brain functions. Noninvasive human brain imaging studies have shown alterations in the activity of the dopamine system that are associated with reduced motor performance and impaired verbal learning.1 Recent studies in chronic methamphetamine abusers have also revealed severe structural and functional changes in areas of the brain associated with emotion and memory,2,3 which may account for many of the emotional and cognitive problems observed in chronic methamphetamine abusers.

Long-term methamphetamine abuse can also lead to addiction—a chronic, relapsing disease, characterized by compulsive drug seeking and use, and accompanied by chemical and molecular changes in the brain. Some of these changes persist long after methamphetamine abuse is stopped, and some reverse after sustained periods of abstinence (e.g., 2 years).4

What Other Adverse Effects Does Methamphetamine Have on Health?

Taking even small amounts of methamphetamine can result in increased wakefulness, increased physical activity, decreased appetite, increased respiration, rapid heart rate, irregular heartbeat, increased blood pressure, and hyperthermia.

Long-term methamphetamine abuse has many negative consequences, including extreme weight loss, severe dental problems, anxiety, confusion, insomnia, mood disturbances, and violent behavior. Chronic methamphetamine abusers can also display a number of psychotic features, including paranoia, visual and auditory hallucinations, and delusions (for example, the sensation of insects creeping under the skin).

Also, transmission of HIV and hepatitis B and C can be consequences of methamphetamine abuse. Among abusers who inject the drug, HIV and other infectious diseases can be spread through contaminated needles, syringes, and other injection equipment that is used by more than one person. The intoxicating effects of methamphetamine, regardless of how it is taken, can also alter judgment and inhibition and lead people to engage in unsafe behaviors. Methamphetamine abuse may also worsen the progression of HIV and its consequences. Studies of methamphetamine abusers who are HIV positive indicate that the HIV causes greater neuronal injury and cognitive impairment compared with HIV-positive people who do not use the drug.5,6

What Treatment Options Exist?

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Probably isn't the thread to post it in, but here it goes.

NOW WHY IN THE HELL IS IT THAT PEOPLE CAN POST SUBJECTS ABOUT HOW BAD A DAMN DRUG IS, BUT IF SOMEONE POSTS A SUBJECT WHERE THEY HAD A PARANORMAL EXPERIENCE ON A DRUG WHATEVER IT BE, THEY GET REEMED?

YES, meth is an issue, along with many other pyschoactives, HOWEVER, if the use of the drug is not pertained as illegal, giving that the country one is living is doesn't classify it as a illegal narcotic, THEY CANNOT POST ABOUT THEIR EXPERIENCE WETHER IT BE REGARDING SPIRITUAL GROWTH OR SEEING ALIENS?!

Sorry. I think that ALL drug talk should be banned from the forum, not just if it pertains to how bad a drug is.

THIS ISN'T DRUG POLITICS ONLINE! THIS IS ABOVE TOP SECRET!

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Yeah, and shouldn't this be in BTS or RATS?!

There is no room for this talk on ATS.

AND THE REASON BEHIND THIS IS,

Just because it's a political and economical situation does not mean it doesn't bypass;

2e.) Illegal Activity: Discussion of illegal activities; specifically mind-altering drugs, computer hacking, criminal hate, sexual relations with minors, and stock scams are strictly forbidden. You will also not link to sites that contains discussion of such material.

[edit on 25-1-2009 by Revolution-2012]

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Revolution-2012

Okay, lets test your theory, since this is only about the bad side of this drug and addiction to it, which I believe is a legitimate current events subject, tied to a relevant breaking news article.... A drug that affects thousands of people, a drug with suspicious origins and destructive results for users. Please counter the BAD argument by providing a list of good things about the illicit use of meth, and how it benefits an addicted user.

Can you do that?

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
This is a subject that is very personal to me.
I am a recovered addict; 8 years sober from a 20+ year addiction to crack coc aine. I lost everyone and everything worthwhile in life, ended up homeless for 8 years, and then ended up in prison. Anyone that has not been addicted doesn't really have the slightest understanding about addiction, and in my opinion, that includes science. They can say whatever they want to explain it, pretend to have a "cure" for it, try to use common sense to explain it; it simply isn't that simple. I have done 8 years of volunteer work at a recovery home, and a detox, and I have seen that meth seems to be the worst as far a consequences go. However, I disagree with the source of your thread; we in California have seen a very noticeable trend away from speed, with addicts heading more towards prescription pills, and a recent trend back to heroin. BUT OUR NUMBERS show clearly, less people are becoming involved with drugs than in the last 25 years. Beware of the propaganda you will be seeing in the near future...this economy threatens the the drug-war funding, which has become BIG BUSINESS in this country.
I haven't had a craving for any drug since about 1 year sober. The idea that an addict must fight cravings for the rest of his is not true. None of my circle fights cravings. The problem with recovery is the wealth of IDEAS about recovery, some are very costly programs, some are substituting "MAGIC PILLS" that claim to cure addiction...and blah, blah, blah. The ONLY truly successful model for recovery is the 12 step model, and if anyone wants to debate that go ahead. Those of us actually recovering understand our predicament, and we know from experience that most models are just taking money from people and insurance companies with no proven results, and in fact DON'T WORK for the long term. By the way, we consider RECOVERED dead and buried...not 5 years, not 8 years, not 25 years without a drug or drink. RELAPSE is prevalent and I have seen an alcoholic that had not drank a drop in 39 years, kill himself with booze in 2 years, at age 82.
OUR GOVERNMENT is complicit in all of this. There is a great MAIN STREAM documentary that shows the conspiracy of the CIA transporting drugs into this country. METH is some VILE POISON, but what really makes them mad is that they aren't importing it. It's a homegrown poison born & raised right here in the USA. Marijuana too.
The DRUG WAR is the biggest fraud EVER perpetrated on the US. If you somehow managed to eradicate COKE, Heroin, pot, lsd, XTC, METH, GHB, Angel Dust, and whatever else there is...you would have addicts licking hallucinogenic toads in Oregon, eating psychotropic plants found here in the US (like Datura, morning glory seeds, belladonna), Huffing glue and gasoline, or just mixing up something that hasn't been invented yet. I guarantee later this year local governments will start talking about the recent "upswing in drug use" so that drug war funding keeps coming in. Of the 2 million in PRISON in California (not county Jail!!!) 1 million are NON-VIOLENT drug offenders...you want a conspiracy look up info about CA prisons and the lovely guards that run them. The entire system ALL A SCAM. The "Prison Industry Authority" of CA. and the slavery of prisoners.
If you want to end the problem with drugs, we would just have to lobotomize everyone at birth. Aside from street drugs, a lot, I mean a lot, of people are hooked on prescription pain pills, millions take anti-depressants, kids are put on Ritalin, others are drunk all the time, some are gambling, some are sex fiends, some are piggish over-eaters...but addiction is rampant in this country. IT ALL STEMS FROM THE SAME PROBLEM for every type of addict...an obsessive desire to fill an empty place in the soul with something that brings some instant satisfaction. The rest are victims of a society that perpetuates the myth that there is a pill (magic solution) for any problem they may have.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Revolution-2012

Well, I beg to differ. There are a lot of kids that come here to learn. Some come to learn about a drug they may be pressured to try. I am 55 years old, and have tried many drugs. I once took a toke from a crack pipe, and I am here to tell you, as soon as the pipe was out of my hand, I was willing to fight to get it back. Talk about addictive! Meth and Crack are the worst chemical substances ever designed by man, and they should not only be banned, the ones who use it should be punished severely. We may be Above Top Secret, but it's past time for the secrets to come out. Don't you agree?

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Walkswithfish

THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH

GOOD OR BAD

This has to do with the fact that it VIOLATES the T&C, if you read it correctly it specifically states that NO TALK OF ILLICIT ACTIVES including DRUGS.

Therefore, if one wanted to go into a forum and post about how per se MESCALINE inspired multiple Indian's drawings and had spiritual effects, it would be a DELETED/CLOSED thread.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

Unfortunately, ALCOHOL IS THE MOST DANGEROUS DRUG in the world. ALCOHOL HAS KILLED MORE PEOPLE directly and indirectly than ALL OTHER DRUGS combined. ALCOHOL is more responsible for violent crime than METH AND CRACK combined.
Shouldn't we prohibit the use of DEMON ALCOHOL????

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by odd1out

Let's go ahead and illegalize Xanax, Lexepro, Marijuana(FOR MEDICAL PATIENTS), Alcohol, and all sorts of mind-altering drugs. Let's illegalize Vicodin, Dilaudid, Oxycontin ETC

That way when you get your leg amputated, you can't have any pain meds.

I'm sure you got some thoughts about Marijuana, let's hear them.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by odd1out

Also, think before you speak. Remember what happened in the first alcohol prohibition?

Crime rates skyrocketed and it was just sold underground.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Religion is the most dangerous drug in the world.

Curing an addict is near impossible.

There are new addicts everyday.

It has killed more than any other drug.

It will continue to do so.

My 2 cents.

And I sign.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join