It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Object Literally Skips Off The Sun

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+32 more 
posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
This is pretty odd. In this video an object skips off of the sun and continues on its path.

Heh, somehow my watching big explosion compilations led to this.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Starred and Flagged.

That is friggin cool. It is hard to imagine what hit that but think about the PHYSICAL SIZE of the sun and how fast that skipped across it. Outstanding find. This object had to HIT the sun and still have enough force to skip on the surface and still break free of the gravitational pull of the earth...

Of course...what the hell is it?
Probably just an asteroid but who knows...
Look forwards to more talk.

Great find!

+14 more 
posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Actually that isnt some object bouncing off the Sun. Its some of the flare that gets caught by the magnetic field and follows the magnetic field up, around and back down again, which looks like something bouncing off the Sun.

There are tons of examples of that over at the SOHO site.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   
My my...

Do you realize how large that object had to be, just comparing it to the size of the sun in that shot.

The Sun has a radius of about 100 times that of the Earth. That means about 1,000,000 Earths would fit into the Sun.

Now think about that and watch the video again... that is a huge object IF that is what was captured.

[edit on 20-1-2009 by TwiTcHomatic]

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
isn't it kinda impossible for something to bounce off the Sun ?

i am sure that whatever did come that close would be vaporized.

i think it's something shooting by in our atmosphere and has distorted the picture making it appear as if it hit the Sun.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by RFBurns
Actually that isnt some object bouncing off the Sun. Its some of the flare that gets caught by the magnetic field and follows the magnetic field up, around and back down again, which looks like something bouncing off the Sun.

Cheers!!!!

A solar flare? Can a magnetic field make it dart across the sun in a straight line like that? Seriouse question, not trying to sound smart or anything.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by SonOfChaos

That was one big object when your consider the sun is over 100 times the size of the earth.

Does it appear to be exiting as/before it enters.

I would like to see a high quality copy of the video to walk it through frame by frame.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeTanA solar flare? Can a magnetic field make it dart across the sun in a straight line like that? Seriouse question, not trying to sound smart or anything.

I wondered the same thing myself. For a solar flare to be pushed out and pulled back in would create an arc shape, like so many solar flares that we've seen picture of. I would opt for video artifact/light refraction caused by the atmosphere.

But if there are examples on the SOHO site which show a similar straight line I'll be happy to review my opinion

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by RFBurns

Cheers!!!!

That is exactly what I was thinking but I dont have anything to back it up with. It just looked like a solar flare to me.

I dont know but it looked like a slor flare and the way it went just created the illusion of bouncing off the sun, but Then again I dont know what I am talking about here

That said, its a pretty neat video

+10 more 
posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by TwiTcHomatic

Not only big but fast!
The diameter of the sun is 870,000 miles. The "object" crosses the full diameter in...what...3 or 4 seconds? So it's going about 200,000 miles per second. Faster than the speed of light.

Either the video is fake or the "object" is quite a bit closer to the camera than the sun is.

[edit on 1/20/2009 by Phage]

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   
that is strange, it looked like it came in on an angle out of the darkness, then it hit the sun and seemed to "bounce". I star'd and flag'd this.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by talisman

It doesn't look much like a flare of any sort. I think the cameras are built with lenses to cancel out that kind of effect.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Yep, fast is right...

I am not sure if it is any closer than the sun in that view though.. It sure does seem to change trajectory off of the top of the sun.

By the way.. do we have a date on when this was shot, or did I just miss it?

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   
I am going to guess some time around March 07 since that is when the video was uploaded to youtube.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   
That object is actually closer to the camera than you might think. It's more than likely a bird illuminated by the sun. (A bird crossing the line of sight so close to the sun would be bright rather than appear in silhouette).

The skipping and 'stringy' distortion effects are a result of the compressed atmosphere due to the long zoom and exaggerated depth of field. It's basically a mirage effect.

You'll also notice there are clouds within view - you can see them move when he cues up the shot the second time. The objects is definitely in the atmosphere, and not extremely far away at that. I say it's a bird.

[edit on 20/1/09 by Evasius]

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreyFoxSolidIt doesn't look much like a flare of any sort. I think the cameras are built with lenses to cancel out that kind of effect.

Which cameras and which effect are you talking about? This doesn't look much like a SOHO shot to me. I'd say it's just a consumer videocamera pointed at a sunset.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Keep your eyes on the skies from now on guys.
We you will soon see why the Aborigines call these time periods "Dreamtime".

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeTan
A solar flare? Can a magnetic field make it dart across the sun in a straight line like that? Seriouse question, not trying to sound smart or anything.

Yes. Those flares move very quickly and dart across the sun surface like that quite often. The flares are accelerated by the magnetic fields and gravity of the Sun.

Ive seen some on the SOHO site where flares would fling outward, swing back around in the opposite direction and back to the surface again, like we see here in the video.

And some of those appeared to be traveling in a straight line because they were moving so fast. This video shows that example. It is not actually traveling straight, it is at a curve as it approaches the Sun. That is the first giveaway to the "object" following a magnetic flux line.

Depending on how strong a given magnetic flux is, which they do vary in size and intensity on the Sun, that can affect how fast or how slow a flare will move along the magnetic flux line.

SOHO has some excellent videos on effects like this.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
You know after really watching it more, it looks like heat making it light up and able to be viewed.

It gets bright coming in before the "skim" then fades out as it passes the sun.

That same effect when the shuttle enters the atmosphere, just not much of an atmosphere in this case.. just extreme heat and light.

-edit- link a few of those soho videos as well.. cause the soho vids I am seeing look nothing like that. They have a large variety of flares no doubt.. but none precisely like that one.

[edit on 20-1-2009 by TwiTcHomatic]

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Fallen Aliens Hate U

The aborigine "Dreamtime" is not now. It was in the distant past, the time of their creation mythology.

In Australian Aboriginal mythology, the The Dreaming or Altjeringa (also called the Dreamtime[citation needed]) is a sacred 'once upon a time' [1] time out of time in which ancestral Totemic Spirit Beings formed The Creation.

en.wikipedia.org...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join