It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Zimbabwe inflation rockets off the scale

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Zimbabwe inflation rockets off the scale

www.independent.co.uk

Zimbabwe reached another landmark low today as the central bank introduced a new Z$100 trillion note, worth about £20 on the black market.

The real inflation rate has exploded beyond calculation, with the cost of parking at Harare airport now commonly used as an indicator of the US dollar exchange rate. The charge at the carpark is Z$400bn or US$1.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Whats the point in doing this, the money has no value anyway. But on that when are we going to do something about Mugabe, once again one man has ruined a whole nation. But just not his but the surrounding nations as well. I suppose for the West there is no oil etc. so no one is interested in the plight of this country or its people.

www.independent.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
This is what will happen here in America. Mugabe recently praised the Fed for their inflationary actions. When will we do something about the Fed?

Let Britain worry about Zimbabwe..It's their baby anyway.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Hey, I'd like a pack of gum.

Ok then that will be 200 trillion gazillion dollars.

Let me go outside and bring in my wheelbarrow of money.

'
'

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildbob77

lol who siad it would be a wheelbarrow, they will just print some paper with one on it!!!

hahaha

man thats insane!!

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by magicmushroom

My Uncle lives there and he tells me that shops don't take Zim dollars anymore...
...Rand and US dollar only!

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Since they have so much gold (needs to be mined but it could be done) they should make it so new coins minted contain the value they want them to be worth in gold (use HGE plating or other methods depending on the value wanted). Radical and strange action but certainly no more crazy then printing $100 trillion note. It might even put a floor under their currency and provide more realistic value for the existing currency. These new coins would have to be called something other then dollars though, maybe Zimbos or Afros lol

[edit on 16-1-2009 by Jacob08]

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Jacob08

I think at which point it might just be easier to trade in gold.
Though, that would be interesting to see.
I'd buy one.

But creating a new currency is what's going to be needed there.

... wow... I just blasphemed against my own views there... here I am opposed to the Amero being introduced into circulation, and I'm calling for a replacement currency for Zimbabwe.

... I suddenly have an urge to go clean my hands vigorously.

new topics

top topics

join