It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What makes a 'good' person?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
reply to post by liquidsmoke206

If your going to make an assuption that i havent already concidered all the possibilitys. Then i can make assumptions about you... althought mine are much more obvious and based on evidence.

What evidence. You are basing all of your opinions on variables. Variables are subject to change. They are not definate proof. Regardless of any variable, there is always the one constant. It is called the HUMAN FACTOR. The ability in which humans make decisions based on their FREE WILL. Which for some reason, you are constantly overlooking. While 'variables' and 'data' may point to a man giving change to a homeless man on the street, does NOT mean he is going to do it. You changed the subject from good and evil to predicting the human mind, because you are too close minded to admit to being wrong.

You have one man who looks at the Columbine shooting as one of the most amazing things to happen in American history. It brought America to the very real situation that it is not as safe as it seems. To him, that is a GOOD DEED. He made that choice based on his FREE WILL.

You have another man, who views it as one of the worst American tragedies. He sees it as EVIL. He made that choice based on his FREE WILL.

Take your pseudo-intelligence elsewhere.

[edit on (1/15/0909 by Hexidecimal]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

I basing my assumptions on your previous posts, are you saying that your posts are not a good source? Because that opens a whole other can of worms. Perhaps I should apply some of your own logic and instead of paying attention to what you're saying, just assume that you are a cartoon winged monster thing with disproportionate arms...and call it a day.

Or you could apply some of mine and realize I don't use words like "dog" or "nine" and if any of my posts ever rhyme then I swear its coincidence and not because i was scrawling out lyrics to my latest rap tune(which BTW would also be my first rap tune ever).

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hexidecimal

If your going to make an assuption that i havent already concidered all the possibilitys. Then i can make assumptions about you... althought mine are much more obvious and based on evidence.

What evidence. You are basing all of your opinions on variables. Variables are subject to change. They are not definate proof. Regardless of any variable, there is always the one constant. It is called the HUMAN FACTOR. The ability in which humans make decisions based on their FREE WILL. Which for some reason, you are constantly overlooking. While 'variables' and 'data' may point to a man giving change to a homeless man on the street, does NOT mean he is going to do it. You changed the subject from good and evil to predicting the human mind, because you are too close minded to admit to being wrong.

O yes your so special.... its not like your experainces have created your memory which is referanced to make decisions...........

Your so unique and unpredicatable.

O no im so closed minded for not concidering that everything is magical and unexplainable.... o yes my mind is sooo closed..........

If i dont concider that jesus will fly down on his magic carpet and sprikle me with love... then im close minded.

No one could possibly come up with the idea of saying its impossible to know!!!!!!!! Your so brilliant in your ignorance.... so brilliant in your accpetance that stuff is unprovable and unknowable....

we need more people like you.... o wait we do.... they fill churches everyday.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   

O yes your so special.... its not like your experainces have created your memory which is referanced to make decisions...........

Your so unique and unpredicatable.

O no im so closed minded for not concidering that everything is magical and unexplainable.... o yes my mind is sooo closed..........

If i dont concider that jesus will fly down on his magic carpet and sprikle me with love... then im close minded.

No one could possibly come up with the idea of saying its impossible to know!!!!!!!! Your so brilliant in your ignorance.... so brilliant in your accpetance that stuff is unprovable and unknowable....

we need more people like you.... o wait we do.... they fill churches everyday.

Because based on your variables, I'm religious, right? Wrong.

Because I'm using things like LOGIC to make rational decisions, and come to rational conclusions, that makes me ignorant. Not because I base my opinions on things that aren't concrete and have the ability to change. That makes ME ignorant, right?

YOU on the other hand, make decisions based on phallacy. Based on variables which change. I claim that YOU are the ignorant one. That because you base your opinions on faulty data, you are the ignorant scum.

Like I said before. Get your pseudo-intelligence out of here.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   

I guess you didn't "consider all the possibilities" regarding my avatar did you smart guy?

let me help ya out....

www.belowtopsecret.com...&colorshift=yes&colorshift=yes

I got stuff to do but will be back later....
let me know when you've had enough.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
This piece rocked my world...

Scott Adams is interviewed by the Drucker Foundation.

"lately I've been reading about great geniuses throughout history,
like Isaac Newton and Richard Feymann. I also like Bill Gates. Maybe
the fact that he is so demonised appeals to me at some level.

But the thing I can;t escape - this is the economist part of my
hardwiring - is to compare Bill Gates with Mother Theresa. Now, on the
surface, he's evil, she's good. End of story. Mother Theresa worked
her whole life with lepers and she left a great legacy. Bill Gates
wrote one check for $100m to give vaccinations to children. He helped
1000 times more people than Mother Theresa, and he did it in the time
it took to write a check.

You can argue about specific tactics or things that microsoft has done
or not done. But for the most part, Gates has very big goals and works
on them diligently and - this is the interesting part - he works on
them like a scientist. He doesn't work on them like a Mother Theresa.
He's not the marketing guy, he's the problem solver, he;s the game
winner. If his wealth doubles every ten years, he could become the
world's first trillionaire! And he says he wants to give it away.
Let's say he does, and he does it in the same way he gave away the
first bit; he picked something the government just wasn't going to do.

It had an immediate lifesaving impact. Did 10m people live because he
wrote that check? Possibly. So is he picking out those places where
only HE can make a difference and have a long-term benefit and is not
just washing the feet of a leper. That's a holy thing to do, but when
you're done, all you have is a leper with clean feet."

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Hexidecimal

Do you know what you will say or do?... can you predict what you will do in situations?

Somone who has just a much knowledge of your life as you do would be able to tell us a whole lot about what you will do.

The only limitation on our deductive logic is information. What do you think Empathy is based on. Maybe you dont have the tools to gather the correct information, but alot of people do.

So wouldnt that make you ignorant to many things?

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   

off topic.... sent it to him in a u2u.

[edit on 15-1-2009 by Wertdagf]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Do you know what you will say or do?... can you predict what you will do in situations?

Somone who has just a much knowledge of your life as you do would be able to tell us a whole lot about what you will do.

The only limitation on our deductive logic is information. What do you think Empathy is based on. Maybe you dont have the tools to gather the correct information, but alot of people do.

So wouldnt that make you ignorant to many things?

Did you read my post and what I said? Or did you just use your variables and assume my next post.

While knowing a lot about a person can predict a fraction of their actions, there is still free will, which you overlook. Free will, along with a set number of variables, determines what each person determines good and evil. It is not 100% correct, and because of free will, will never be.

Good and evil are open to interpretation because of free will.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Free will is only used to discribe the observers IGNORANCE.... of the variable that influced such a desicion.

Free will does not exist. If this makes you sad.... know that i love you.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Free will is only used to discribe the observers IGNORANCE.... of the variable that influced such a desicion.

If free will does not exist, then your whole argument about variables is void. If free will does not exist, then they are constants, not variables.

Free will exists. Stop contradicting yourself.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
What makes you a good person?
1) what you do for others
2) the degree to which you choose to love rather than not to in every single situation. It is a sliding scale that at any given moment can tell you just how good of person you are at any given moment.

It truly is that simple of a "concept" but man oh man throw religion and justification into the mix and you have....the world view.

because someone is going to throw "morals" into it. People will get all subjective about what is "good" and what is "bad"

Yes, a Christian can say, "love thy neighbor as thy self" and if they would stop there than they would be spot on.

speaking of stopping when all that needs to be said has been said.....

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   

If free will does not exist, then your whole argument about variables is void. If free will does not exist, then they are constants, not variables.

Free will exists. Stop contradicting yourself.

Your correct... but you cant tell crazy people like you that right away can you.....

lol you are the one contradicting yoruself.... as if me stroking your ego invalidates logic.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   
To be considered a good person? What would that take? What country are you looking to find this good person in? If you were to look to Iraq, murdering your sister for sleeping with a man from another tribe would would be a act of (for lack of better terms) kindness. (sleeping with someone from another trib is an act of shame to an Iraqi, stoning his sister would bring back the pride to the family) Just a little wrench to keep you thinking.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by killacaboose
To be considered a good person? What would that take? What country are you looking to find this good person in? If you were to look to Iraq, murdering your sister for sleeping with a man from another tribe would would be a act of (for lack of better terms) kindness. (sleeping with someone from another trib is an act of shame to an Iraqi, stoning his sister would bring back the pride to the family) Just a little wrench to keep you thinking.

Read my previous definition. it might help you.

those would all be evil acts and thoughts.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Sociologically speaking, not evil

Those are societal norms, you can't base "good" or "evil" off of what you as a "person" belive or feel.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Sociologically speaking, not evil

Those are societal norms, you can't base "good" or "evil" off of what you as a "person" belive or feel.

Its about an udnerstanding of its current and future emotional concequences.

Its what you know will affect people and how.

This is what people who understand empathy do every day.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   

I don't mean to undermind you, and I would assume you the same, all I'm trying to say is that the murder in the sake of your family pride to an Iraqi is not evil, your definition of empathy is used slightly "loose" and your judging baised off of your norms. from a neutral stand point an act of murder can be considered good therefor making the murderer a good person.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   

I don't mean to undermind you, and I would assume you the same, all I'm trying to say is that the murder in the sake of your family pride to an Iraqi is not evil, your definition of empathy is used slightly "loose" and your judging baised off of your norms. from a neutral stand point an act of murder can be considered good therefor making the murderer a good person.

I hope to distroy your illusions... it may kill who ever it is that you now are, figuratively.

What you mean to say is from a ignorant and limited veiw point that Good and Evil are impossible to define.....

and you would be right. Ignorant weak-minded people will have a hard time understanding what will help others grow in understanding the patterns of reality.

<< 1  2    4 >>

join