It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Squeeze some shoe polish, melt down records

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I remember as a kid, in school when we learned about drugs and alcohol.
And one thing that I found in the literature we read and from the teachers;
what made me think 'WHAT!?!?" back then was this:

People desperate for a fix for booze would squeeze the liquid out of shoe polish, or, get this; melt down LP records and drinking the liquid that exudes.
Now, just the other day I thought of this particular subject and I find it odd; why would someone drink that, when alcohol can be gotten cheaply enough?

Is this true? Are there people out there that broke and desperate to drink anything worse than lysol™ ?

Or was this something to scare kids into not curiously involving themselves in drinking for fear of sabotaging their record collection, or having shoes go unpolished?

Was this a drug education fear tactic?

I may have to go google-ing this stuff.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 12:36 AM
link   
It's got to be BS:

Shoe polish consists of a waxy colloidal emulsion, a substance composed of a number of partially immiscible liquids and solids mixed together. It is usually made from ingredients including some or all of naphtha, lanolin, turpentine, wax (often Carnauba wax), gum arabic, ethylene glycol, and if required a colourant, such as carbon black or an azo dye (such as aniline yellow). It typically has a specific gravity of 0.8, is negligibly soluble in water, and is made of between 65 and 77% volatile—usually naphtha. The high amount of volatile substances means that the shoe polish will dry out and harden after application, while retaining its shine.
en.wikipedia.org...

You would die drinking that!

Apparently you can make vinyl record bowls!
www.google.ca...

The crap they use to scare kids, no wonder they act like they do!

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 12:46 AM
link   
I always loved those anti-marijuana ads. Some were hilarious, my favorite is the guy who tried to out-run Jo-Jo (or something) the junkyard dog because he was high and he thought he could do it...

He's running towards the fence separating the junkyard from the outside street while, sweating like a hog, thinking... 'Oh my friends said it was gonna be great... I'm so cool' something silly like that, and by the time he jumps on the fence, Jo-Jo the junkyard dog has caught him and is ripping him to shreds... beyond hilarious

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   
jesus damn!!! the things humans witha fix will do to get it..well, look at it this way... crack, meth, coc aine..its all bad for yuo, and will break you in short time...
I had a friend at 15, he used to sniff gasoilne out of a can, he used to get stupid funny...laughter outta control..
Naptha is commonly used in cleaning liquids for auto care..it really dosnt clean all that well in a cars combsution chamber..its cheap mans stuff..its rather related to mineral spirits, in the paint thinner section of a store..as well as terpentine..both are old school methods for breahing in and gettting hi.. without the negative contaminants, such as toluene, benzene, Xyline, maor ingriedents of gasoline..and highly toxic..

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   
I remember a story about filtering Aqua Velva through bread and drinking it because it was mostly alcohol.

We didn't do that stuff though.
We picked wild muscadine grapes and made wine.
If you were really enterprising you could make a small still and produce your own moonshine.
Kids were pretty handy back then.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Another thing I would like to add.
It was the pictures in those school textbooks, even as a kid I wondered:
'Who rolls j0ints like that, all baggy and looked like it was twisted by a chimp?'

It led me to the conclusion, even at that age that, 'These people know not what they claim'

Let's keep this thread free of thread closing words.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   
This reminds me of passive eugenics. To quote George Carlin: "The kid who swallows the most marbles doesn't grow up to have kids of his own."

I hope someone was stupid enough to try this because they were told it was equivalent to getting high or drunk. One less idiot on the planet.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by ziggy1706
jesus damn!!! the things humans witha fix will do to get it..

Naptha is commonly used in cleaning liquids for auto care..it really dosnt clean all that well in a cars combsution chamber..its cheap mans stuff..its rather related to mineral spirits, in the paint thinner section of a store..as well as terpentine..both are old school methods for breahing in and gettting hi.. without the negative contaminants, such as toluene, benzene, Xyline, maor ingriedents of gasoline..and highly toxic..

Hmmm, perhaps the idea wasn't to drink the stuff after all, but to inhale it.
What gases does an old vinyl record give off?

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Toadmund

You could always try smoking some banana skins Toadmundi

... not that I've tried it of course!

IRM

top topics

join