It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Flag inspires arrogance?!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 07:39 PM
link   

In other words, according to Kemmelmeier, the flag makes people think that some people and some countries are better than others, a mode of thinking, he said, that makes people "feel more entitled to express prejudice.”

www.alternet.org... ican_flag_inspires_superiority_not_patriotism/

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by truthquest

Sad, pathetic, worthless, tiresome, frustrating, infuriating, humorous....

I would write more descriptive words but that woud mean I have to waste more time when I could be wiping my behind.

A German who hates the U.S. flag...SHOCKING.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   
If you think it inspires arrogance now, just wait till Obama "changes" it.

Give it just a few more weeks, he probably has some top graphic desginer working overtime somewhere.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   
It helps to both read the article referenced in an opening post, as well as making some cogent statement regarding one's observations regarding the topic.

There is an awful lot said in this article regarding the influence of national flags, but the final two paragraphs sum up the findings fairly well.

Both Kemmelmeier and Butz stress that the psychology of the American flag is complicated. It can prime a wide range of emotions, depending on the person and the situation. There may also be regional differences. And while the flag is not necessarily the pure symbol of inspired patriotism that some might make it out to be, neither is it necessarily a pure symbol of nationalism and individualistic materialism. A lot depends on the context.

"It can have a negative impact, but nowadays there is a real opportunity to re-interpret what it means to be an American,” Kemmelmeier said. "The flag is always amorphous, and the meaning is always dependent on how it is used.”

www.alternet.org...

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthquest

In other words, according to Kemmelmeier, the flag makes people think that some people and some countries are better than others, a mode of thinking, he said, that makes people "feel more entitled to express prejudice.”

www.alternet.org... ican_flag_inspires_superiority_not_patriotism/

Eh. Give me a break.
Every country has citizens who proudly fly their flag.

And I have no shame in proudly flying mine.

Oh, I will also proudly fly the Scottish flag...and even Italian

(I need a big flag pole, obviously
)

[edit on 12/23/2008 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Why is everyone trying to come up with some rediculous claims about Obama? When he's actually president, and he messes up or starts doing stupid things, then it is time for the anti Obama campaign, alxandro. your already at the halfway mark and the shot hasn't rang out yet??
sorry, no offense.
But i'm pretty sure a flag can make one feel better than others, because the Yankees are definatly better than the Boston RS...

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Of course the US flag inspires arrogance.

I love Americans who are so "proud" to be American and their favorite parts about America are the Flag, National Anthem and the Fourth of July.

But, don't tell those types that their Country was hijacked by European Bankers, because if you question the government then you must be a terrorist.

Ridiculous.

If Americans raised their children to protect the CONSTITUTION and Bill of Rights and not a stupid flag, then America wouldn't be in the mess that it is in.

[edit on 12/23/2008 by dalan.]

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

After looking at your flag for some reason it reminded me I had a grey shirt with nothing but an image of a good sized US flag on the front. It seems to have disappeared! And now that I think about it I'm thinking it may have been stolen by whoever took my very best shirt!

By the way you know you are supposed to fly flags of equal value to the sides and not one below the other right? (Country flags next to other country flags for example.)

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Does it cause arrogance or insecurity?

a little taoism doesnt hurt.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthquest
reply to post by greeneyedleo

After looking at your flag for some reason it reminded me I had a grey shirt with nothing but an image of a good sized US flag on the front. It seems to have disappeared! And now that I think about it I'm thinking it may have been stolen by whoever took my very best shirt!

By the way you know you are supposed to fly flags of equal value to the sides and not one below the other right? (Country flags next to other country flags for example.)

Yes i know. I was trying to be funny with all my flag flying.

Guess I should have said: I will need a bunch of poles

new topics

top topics

join