It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the internet going down? Undersea sub-cables have just broken...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   
"Interoute, the internet networks company, report that three of the four internet sub-cables that carry run from Asia to North America have been damaged.

These carry more than 75 per cent of traffic between the Middle East, Europe and America. It's hard to gather what this actually means - does that mean that the internet is down or (more likely) significantly slower than usual between the Middle East and America? (If you're reading this, lets face it, the internet has not shut down altogether)"
Times online

Btw, I checked, the date of the article "IS" December 19, 2008!!!

"Here's the big problem right now:

Finance companies [are] looking to settle trades on European and American exchanges. This cable outage means there is no real-time access to, for example, trading ticker services. This means branch offices are compromised when trying to place trades. As private networks are being affected, these organisations are forced to rely on public internet services that may have more latency and may not update as quickly. The loss of time even precious seconds is hugely important to trading exchanges. These public internet services are now struggling to cope with peak in demand – leading to increased latency, and further compromising the integrity of the trading data."
Times Online

Could this have anything to do with "CITI" banks computer outage???

This looks tom be hurting International banking as well as everything else, like routing voip phone calls.

It was but a year ago or so when all the undersea cables broke/were cut.

History repeating itself???

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Doesnt this happen routinely because of continental drift? I mean if I remember correctly the Americas are moving away from Europe and Africa at a rate of a few inches a year.

What that would mean is every once and a while a cable here and there is going to snap and break as the distance between the points grows longer.

I don't know.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
"Mass Internet outages in Egypt after cables cut"

"CAIRO, Egypt (AP) — Egypt's communications ministry says Internet cables in the Mediterranean Sea have been cut, causing massive Internet outages.
The ministry says three Internet cables running through the Mediterranean were cut Friday morning. Throughout the country the Internet is almost completely down or working sporadically."

"Yemen and Sudan were also having phone and Internet difficulties Friday, but it was unclear if it was connected to the outage."
Google News (refering to AP News)

There are references to cut, not broken, but very little on that now.

Ocean currents or ??????

OK, who will be the first idiot to accuse the US/Israel.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   
"Three cable systems carrying more than 75 percent of traffic between the Middle East, Europe and America have been damaged, according to the U.K.'s Interoute Plc, which operates a fiber- optic data network connecting 92 cities. The cables run from Alexandria in northern Egypt to Sicily in southern Italy. In January, an anchor severed the cables outside Alexandria after bad weather conditions forced ships to moor off the coast."
Bloomberg

hmmm, for now every source I can find.

I will be looking for any infor to see if it was an accident-
-, Caused by nature or caused on purpose.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by mrmonsoon

Ohh me first!

It's a global conspiracy to disconnect the muslim world from the west communications. It's in this way that the NWO NeoCon/Zionist Manifesto can be realised!

First cut off all communications then invade a brilliant and well laid plan to take over the middle east and wrestle controll of mid east oil from OPEC by those that want to spread NWO controll over the globe. Innitiated by the global elite that created the plan at Bohemian Grove and implemented by Blackwater operatives with direct orders from Dick Cheney.

how did I do?

Or it could be pirates?

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
There are unsubstantiated claims that Japan has lost 100% internet.

There are unsubstantiated claims that Iran lost 55% net access-bandwidth.

There are unsubstantiated rumors that India lost 30% index and 60+% packet losses.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Happens all the time in fact they have special ships to fix them...
Read Splicing a cable in the mid atlanctic

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrmonsoon

Well you certainly came to the right place to find out.

I predict there will be an accuser before this thread reaches page 2.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Conspiricy ? Yes I believe it may be ..

Lets not forget what the main plan was ..and that plan is not quite finished ..

"a "Grand Strategy for the Middle East" should concentrate on "Iraq as the tactical pivot, Saudi Arabia as the strategic pivot, and Egypt as the prize."

www.alternet.org...

I am not saying I believe all of this ..but hey you never know ..
Seems they are still going ahead with their grand plan ..(and Obama may just continue that plan ..I dont really know) ......

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I think more than anything it has to do with the fact that alot of countries are having all the riots and it seems that when a call goes out for more support that its over the net. Have you seen any stories other than Greece in the USA MSM???? Me either...We are getting all the info on whats happening over seas from the net. Therefore the net needs to go down, especially if they are planning on attacking someone somewhere.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Well I pray to God it hits the UK. I'll quite happily sit here with no internet all night than go to work and answer phones for the next 4 hours!

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Well, rumors of an internet takeover have been circulating for a while now- in fact, Alex Jones was just talking about it last night. And cutting the cables could be one element of that.

I wish it were clear in this story whether the cables were "cut" or just "damaged" by say ocean bottom movement... Makes a big difference.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
This happens all the time.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Its the whales,they have an agenda...Anyway this happens all the time,doesnt mean much and gets repaired rather quickly.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
For what it may be worth.....

The story from the AP news link said,” CUT".

Just a note: Not to be off topic, but...... Hamas has decided to "NOT" renew the peace agreement with Israel.

Conspiracy theory, Could this be the open door to go in and clean out the rocket making/firing terrorists???

Conspiracy theory, Could this be the prelude to an attack on Iran???
Step one, disrupt communications, step two, destroy their offensive military capability, step three, destroy the entire nuclear bomb making technology.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

It was the gay baby whales nuked for Jesus.......

All joking a side, I find it hard to believe all three were broken at once.

I am by no means, an expert on this topic, however, it just seems unlikely to me.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Another point made:

www.urbansurvival.com...

[edit on 19-12-2008 by DangerDeath]

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Great, isolation. Divide and conquer! Looks like they want to enforce isolation for some staged event.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Isolation is a staged event

If the authorities expect riots, that's what they are going to do, they will provoke riots in order to impose order.

It is very simple

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Well all remember back in June when 5 undersea cables were mysteriously cut.
Bad to Worse: Fifth Undersea Cable..
So I'm wondering if this is even new news at all or if they simply dug out something from 2 months ago.
If it is for real than maybe the first incident was a test run? Severing the communications between continents would definitely help to keep any information coming out of a country (in the affected areas) under control if a military strike happened or even possibly economic riots.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join