It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The sky just lit up!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I live on the outskirts of Toronto, in a residential area. There is no light pollution out here. Anyway, about an hour ago at 9:30 pm I was looking outside in the backyard, and it was totally black - all I could see was a reflection of a streetlight on the glass from my shed window on the other side of the yard.

Right now - I walked back there and I can see every blade of grass, the path, the fence and right into my neighbours backyard because its so bright. The sky is a strong red tint and it looks about 4:00pm in the evening. Its amazing. I have never seen it so bright at night like this with no light source but the sky itself.

Its a vibrent bright red colour, and I called some family about 1 hour north of here and they are experiencing the same thing.

I just wanted to report this because it was so out of the ordinary and I remember reading a thread about a hole our magnetic field and electrical storms.

[edit on 16-12-2008 by Ashley_T]

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Ashley_T

Cool! Is it the Northern lights? Snowstorm here in Michigan, can't see much.

[edit on 16-12-2008 by pavil]

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I will see if I can find a meteor shower forecast.

North of Toronto.......I wonder how far North?

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Sounds like some place caught fire...something large. Any factories nearby that produce anything flammable? Then again if your friend saw it it'd be either two different places burning at the same time or its one really big fire. Northern lights was my second guess, but I could have sworn they were a blue-green color, not red.

Reguardless, it must be cool to look at. Any possibility of pictures?

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Didn't something like that just happen a few months ago? A big industrial fire?

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I found this. It could be a late bloomer.

The best time to watch the peak of the annual Geminids meteor shower will be between midnight tonight and dawn Sunday, although some could be seen earlier, Cooke said. The shower also may be seen Sunday night, he said.

Another factor that could play into the ability to see the meteoroid shower is the weather. The forecast for early Sunday morning in Birmingham calls for partly cloudy skies and a temperature of 43 degrees. To try to get a glimpse of a meteoroid, go to a dark place that's away from city lights, lie flat on your back on a blanket or lawn chair and look straight up, Cooke said.

"Geminids will appear from any part of the sky," he said.

Most of the Geminids are a millimeter or smaller across, Cooke said. "If you see a really bright one ... that's probably softball-size," he said.

www.al.com.../base/news/122915975369330.xml&coll=2

[edit on 16-12-2008 by whiteraven]

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Guess I have to comment.

I am in Janesville, Wisonsin and I can currently see a reddish tint in the clouds to the Northwest of Janesville.

Just thought I would comment.

new topics

top topics

join