It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

weird green ball with tail

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   
So i was outside with my friends, and we looked in the sky, and all of a sudden we see this green ball with a loonnnnggg blue gren, sparkly tail on it. it moved across the sky like a shooting star, but the thing is... you could hear it go by, and my dog went crazy. what was that?

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   
No camera with you? sounds interesting though.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   
firework

its fireworkds time now init

lol

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   
i live in Connecticut it was late at night about 9 or 10. this was wayyyy to fast to be a firework, and those are not legal in my state. i wish i had a camera but even if i did, i wouldnt of had time to take a picture. I know there are green shooting stars, and are rare... but you dont hear them, my friend kyle almost crapped himself, and ran inside... and we are in our 20s... i was the only one who stood out there waiting for more, cuz it was sooo cool.... kind scary at the sametime

[edit on 26-10-2008 by Pandilex]

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I've seen a similar fireball (meteor fireball) with the sparkly tail. I swear I heard it - but not sure where the sound came from. I was in my hot-tub at night, near a large metal grill and I think the slight sound I heard was in the direction of the grill.

They produce latent sounds long after they pass, possibly (like a plane's sound trails behind it). but they can also product "electrophonic" sound.

www.amsmeteors.org...

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by bonaire

Well i looked that up, and it was like a sonic boom...but at the same time it wasnt...i live in CT so we are used to sonic booms

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I thought comet as soon as I read the thread title.
That is as long as it didn't make any crazy turns, or shoot lasers..

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pandilex
i live in Connecticut it was late at night about 9 or 10. this was wayyyy to fast to be a firework, and those are not legal in my state.

I live in California and as far as I know, marijuana, heroin, meth, crack, they are all illegal in my state.

That really doesn't seem to stop people from using them.

I'm sure people can get their hands on firewords in Connecticut.

I'm not saying it was fireworks, just saying that local laws dont stop people from doing things.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by wisefoolishness
I thought comet as soon as I read the thread title.
That is as long as it didn't make any crazy turns, or shoot lasers..

You mean "meteor" (small piece of comet) don't you? Comets don't move across the sky like the OP described! They move slowly across the sky, taking weeks, or even months to cross it.

Anyway, I believe the OP probably saw an Orionid. They have been unusually active and long lasting this year. Orionids are often described as being green, but it's not uncommon for meteors from other showers to be green too. After White and yellow, green is probably the most common color seen.

You may want to check out this thread (my last posts there in particular) I started for more info:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

PS. bonaire is correct about the sounds

[edit on 26-10-2008 by C.H.U.D.]

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 10:49 PM
link   
We are in the middle of a lesser known meteor shower called the Northern Taurids. The meteors are different from other shooting stars in that there are fewer of them, but they are bigger and more dramatic. Unlike most meteor showers, the Taurids consist of small pieces of a disintegrated comet that the earth's orbit coincides with every so often. We are in a Swarm Year, which means that the show will be especially spectacular.

I have heard that they are quite amazing, last a long time, and shoot dramatically across the entire sky. The current shower peaks on November 5th.

There is a thread on it HERE.

Here is a link to a video:
Taurids on video.

I don't know why you would hear it; I saw a large fireball meteor once and I didn't hear it. I wonder if what you saw was a Taurid meteor?

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 06:15 AM
link   
There are a number of factors pertaining to colour . First and most important is the chemicals which a burning object is made from , and secondary to that is atmospheric chemicals which fliter light in different ways . Green however is quite unusual , and if it is some sort of previously recorded celestial event , then finding archives for it , should be relatively easy . I suggest looking it up on a stargazing website, preferably one with a database of comets , meteors and the like .

top topics

join