It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

General Petraeus President of the United States in 2012

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   
www.motherjones.com...

He has been commander Kick-Ass in Iraq and Afghanistan, for quite sometime and is reckoned as the best by the Bush Admin.

My question is, with his reputation as a hero and competent commander; assuming he can bring Iraq and Afghanistan to a successful end do you think he could be the next President?

Does the ability to successfully conduct a war qualify you to manage a country?

[edit on 9-10-2008 by xbranscombex]

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Bush Admin.

There in your OP you just stated his chances of being elected anything.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I have had great respect for General Petraeus and think he has done a very thorough job.

I would much rather see Colin Powell in some form of upper government, either as President someday, or hopefully return to his former job as Secretary of State.

One of the most courageous decisions he made was to tell Mr. Bush that he was leaving and had no desire to return for Bush's second term.

He was used by the White House terribly during the run up to invading Iraq and you could tell that he didn't believe what the White House was making him say regarding WMD's.

He is very intelligent and was highly respected by leaders around the world for his work in Desert Storm, one of the most successful military operations ever carried out. He showed outstanding leadership over not just US forces but a multi-national force as well.

He would be an excellent addition to whoever takes over the White House next.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by zlots331

Poor Colin Powell. I really did like him and agree with your post....but, he did lie to the world regardless of who made him do it. I do feel for the guy....Bush shredded his credibility when he was probably the only "good" guy in the administration.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by xbranscombex
Does the ability to successfully conduct a war qualify you to manage a country?

A country? If you mean your country: YES.

Eisenhower, anyone?

I would much rather see Colin Powell in some form of upper government, either as President someday, or hopefully return to his former job as Secretary of State.

He won't. His wife didn't "allow" it for this year, because she feared to much about her husband. (See "Wife of Powell Sees Danger in Candidacy")

[edit on 9.10.2008 by SiONiX]

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I'd vote for Powell in a heartbeat. I'd much rather an intelligent tarnished candidate with a real conscience over what we’ve had in the current republican leadership any day.

[edit on 9-10-2008 by maudeeb]

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I was going to post about how Petraeus was a good commander but I would rather see Colin Powell as president.

Looks like I got beat to the punch.

Maybe if Petraeus spent a few years in a sector of politics that didn't directly involve killing people he might turn into a viable candidate. Until then, I'd have to seriously consider the proposition.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I will be voting Jesse Ventura in 2012.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   
No one really knows if Petraeus is a Democrat or Republican. His comments on the topic certainly begs the question, is he or isn't he? I like Petraeus and if I was voting simply on competence, intelligence and appeal (not the issues) I would vote for Petraeus over Obama or McCain. People say Petraeus do have ambition for bigger and better things, certainly, his promotion to CENTCOM Commander paves the way for bigger and better things.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Great call on Colin Powell! When it comes to Colin Powell, I don't think race would be an issue. He's wise and level headed.

My family and I have all previously commented about Obama, "He's no Colin Powell."

I wonder how many of others have used that same expression regarding Obama?

It might be an interesting thread, but I'd be surprised if Colin Powell for President hasn't been a thread already!

top topics

join