It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"My Fellow Prisoners," McCain Calls Americans

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by rubberducky

If you are in debt you are a prisoner, you are a slave to your debtor.

Americans are the most indebted people on the globe.

i agree, we are prisoners.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Reddupo

I agree that this was an honest mistake. I am not holding this against McCain in any way. I am sure he was mixing it up with other thoughts. And by that I am not saying he has PTSD.

I just think it's a funny slip because it's just so Freudian

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Oh ya, I slip up my words and call people prisoners all the time....

It's a common mistake that everyone does now and again since everyone uses the word prisoners just about everyday.

No big deal...really...

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by buds84

Everyday speech is not pertinent.

This wasn't an everyday speech.

Does McCain use the word 'prisoner' in anyone of his speeches? Yes he does.

Was this an honest mistake? Yeah probably. He want's to get elected dude. Be logical about this.

I think it's a hilarious slip, because I believe we are prisoners to our system. I also think having McCain as President will only further our enslavement! However, this was a mistake. Again, he is trying to get elected...

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by buds84
Oh ya, I slip up my words and call people prisoners all the time....

It's a common mistake that everyone does now and again since everyone uses the word prisoners just about everyday.

No big deal...really...

I know we're not supposed to make little insignificant posts ,but seriously your post has me on my knees I'm laughing so hard

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 12:07 AM
link   
How do you know for certain that Senator McCain did not mean this as a metaphor, or in a facetious manner? Needless to say, the writers of the Huffington Post do nothing but Huff Glue all day. Their entire approach to "Journalism" is an insult to Journalists EVERYWHERE. I have seen nothing but garbage emanating from their Articles on a daily basis.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Reddupo
I find it both hilarious and sad that ATS sees this as anything more than a fumbling of words. Why didn't he correct it? Because he didn't realize it, or because when he did realize it it was a word too late in the stream of consciousness and it would just throw off many audience members to go back mid speech and say "Oh and by the way when I said prisoners I meant Americans, sorry".

thisfrom the member who said it was post traumatic stress that caused the slip. at least go back and edit your post to say something different if you're gonna change your stance. geesh.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Actually, if this is from the same speech I heard a radio program discussing today in which they played several clips, both the misspeak & the PTSD crowd are very wrong. He used the word "prisoners" earlier in the speech to describe the US tax payer being held prisoner by the economy & the mishandling of the economy via earmarks and prok barrel politics. If I recall correctly he came out and said "We are being held prisoner by an ever inflating federal defecit, a deficit which my opponent's policies will inflate even more."

This is a great example of how virtually anything someone says can be taken out of context or can be sliced up and only a portion taken to further an agenda or make them look like a fool.

Posted in the spirit of full disclosure and in the hopes people might take the knowledge to heart. There are plenty of real issues with both candidates to harp on without needing to artificially create issues out of situations where, when taken fully, no issues exist.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective
Well, for once, McSame seems to have his fingers firmly planted on the pulse of this nation.

His name is John McCain. I thought this type of petty childishness was to be forbidden on ATS. Why are the mods tolerating this?

Their names are John McCain and Sarah Palin, not Maverick and Baraccuda. You can have an avatar with their nicknames but some here can't have a nick name for them as well?

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 03:00 AM
link   
He's friends with Bush.

Behind closed doors in Skull & Bones or whatever elite meetings they throw there opium parties at, I'm pretty sure they been referring to people they consider less than themselves as prisoners or peons.
He did refer to Obama in Oct.7th debate as "That One" pointing his finger.
That shows where his mind is at.

It was a slip up of his subconscious mind.

[edit on 9-10-2008 by buds84]

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 03:06 AM
link   
This is a classic freudian slip! My fellow prisoners! He sure the hell has that right!
We dont have a choice..
ITs the same effect you would get if you crossed the mob.
Its an offer you can't refuse. And if you refuse it we are going to hurt your face jack!
But we wont kill you.. Oh no.. We will kill your family, kill your dog, and hurt everyone you know.. But you can live..

And no one seemed to even notice.. Scary.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Enigma Publius
thisfrom the member who said it was post traumatic stress that caused the slip. at least go back and edit your post to say something different if you're gonna change your stance. geesh.

Where did Reddupo say that, again?

I just went through the entire thread and can't find it. Maybe it's what you assumed, since you seem to be taking exception with everyone..

As for what was said, politicians make mistakes all the time. Why is there such attention to this? It's as if some people think it's weird that a politician can make a mistake. Anyone who trusts a politician is trusting someone untrustworthy.

But it is interesting - or saddening rather - to see the usual slave/prisoner 'oh woe is me, I'm in chains' posts... anywhere a finger can poke holes in the air, there they are...

Must be nice being a slave, having their morning coffee, eating their cornflakes and driving off to work - You know, like real slaves do.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 04:19 AM
link   

I think it is funny... Mccain is beating BIDEN gaffe off 08
AMAZING!

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 04:21 AM
link   
I just wish we could just install Ron Paul... nevermind elections or all this bullox just stick Ron Paul in power as president.. the man has more brains than the last 3 presidents and the people running now.

blah

people make slips all the time.. but something else was clearly on his mind.. or .. rather his mind may have been floating about some sort of interesting trance where he is made to look like a freaking super hero just because he refused to go home, wake up people.. humans are not geared toward survival, they are geared toward the familiar! it's one of the reasons why people commit suicide, because they cannot face something unfamiliar, .. so what if he wouldn't leave the prison, it was familiar, even if it was some noble cause, it shouldn't win you brownie points in an election.

[edit on 10/9/2008 by PuRe EnErGy]

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by bloodcircle

I think you forgot to click his link in his first post then...

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Haha, i think Sarah was actually looking around after he said to see if anyone noticed anything, either this guy is losing his memory or he is an evil psychopath who dreams about turning Americans into prisoners.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Zepherian

Okay, it's off-topic, but that was pretty funny. Kinda schoolboy thing to do, 'though.

Still, it was the "Obama flips off Hilary" video that got me. Never seen that one before. I'm amazed that I hadn't seen it or heard of it. It's the clear evidence that Obama is the biggest hypocrite in the race that all the anti-Obamas were looking for.

"Change you can believe in", "not a Washington insider", "no negative campaigning"...Yeah, right. It's nice to be able to describe all the negative actions of your opponent without actually detailing what they were, simply insinuating instead. Why, you can be negative about their negativity without anyone calling you negative...
what a NEAT strategy.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by whiteraven
Classic PTSD.

He is under pressure and his mind simply geared back to his POW days.

PTSD will call up the reponse from the shock of the event when the sufferer is under pressure.

My hat off to McCain.

Perhaps it is PSTD. Perhaps the former POW doesn't differentiate between his fellow POWs and his fellow citizens in a way.

If that was a real slip then it sounds like in the depths of his brain, he has a few synaptic connections that originate from the concepts of "fellow citizens" and "fellow prisoners" and they both travel to another associated group of neurons that includes the concept of bondage, resilience, fortitude, etc...

I don't think he wanted to kill or enslave his fellow POWs... he stayed with them even when he had the opportunity to get out. He certainly had a bond with his "fellow prisoners" and for him to even slip up and confuse the term suggests that he may have that same bond with his "fellow Americans."

Or, he used the term "prisoner" earlier in the speech to describe how American citizens were being held as one by the economic crisis and carried it over the latter parts of the speech.

McCain is a cool guy, eh was in prison, slips up words, and doesn't afraid of anything!

[edit on 9-10-2008 by logician magician]

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

You know, from your Avatar I'm going to take a leap as assume you're a McCain supporter, I am most certainly not. But go you and your views 100%.

I've read this thread and it actually makes me happy that I have agreed with 3 out 4 of your responses. I'm a little iffy on supporting military troops no matter what, but that has nothing do with serving your country it has more to do with personal character outside of that. I tend to look person-to-person.

That being said! I definately think that his head was in the place of "Where might I be able to fit in a war-hero point? Is this the time for ad-libbing?(if it wasnt written in the speech) Is this the right crowd for that moment? Will it help me, hurt me, or not make a difference? With all those questions in mind I can see where making a verbal POW slip-up is likely. That's assuming those were in mind, and given his speech record I don't doubt that at least 1 of those were in mind.

I'm VERY much against McCain, but I can sympathize with what seems like a very human moment.

But I can also see where it can be a very frightening remark if I'm wrong...

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 07:24 AM
link   
I guess I must be mistaken, it sounded to me like was making an allusion to how he acted WITH his fellow prisoners and how he would act now. Are we over reacting?

And no, I'm not voting for Bush jr, in case people think I'm politically motivated, which is far from the case. Truth is, I gave up on politics a long time ago.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join