It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How would I know a "disinfo" agent from Adam?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I have the guts and integrity to say: "I just don't know".

BUT!

I have found that time and a lot of reading have impressed upon me the insight to take everything with a grain of salt and that which inspires you to delve deeper is considered interesting, nothing more. If you find it of interest and do indeed look into it more intently, you will find for yourself that every case is different.

Disinformation is in the eye of the bereader.

Good luck Dgirl, because the obvious lack of answers in this thread is indicative of the lack of a disinfo-meter on all that's written.

Cuhail

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   
security.resist.ca...

Some stuff about how informers work offline, but you can apply some of the stuff to an online setting.

security.resist.ca...

More of the same. About how informers work.

naffoundation.org...

The above is for survivors of ritual abuses, but they have a section if you scroll down about 10 things that false sheppards will go to get targets back into the mix.

If you read it over, you will find that some things can be applied to how these people work online.

Hope some of this helps. At the end of the day, just learn to trust your instict. That's the best way over time that you will be able to tell a disinformation agent. (Note I said over time.)

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
You can also tell by the screennames of course. If they have a "D" inserted into the middle of their name, that stands for Disinfo-Ops...as in ThatDGirl.

If someone is a good disinfo agent, you couldnt tell that he is.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Here´s a Thread I once opened, asking the same questions. And I still dont know.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThatDGgirl
reply to post by rapinbatsisaltherage

The thread is "get ready folks" and I read EVERY stinkin post. There is one poster there who many think is a "disinfo" agent. I want to know, logically, how one can know. Is it just gut reaction?

It is probably just a troll. I've never come across an actual person who seemed like a "disinfo" agent on this forum. In fact I've only come across a few ever on the net, how could I tell they were disinfo agents? Well I can't be certain and it depends on what you believe one is. I've been on a few 9/11 Truther forums where some people showed up attacking completely insane and persistant, as if to make everyone believe all 9/11 Truthers are out of their minds. There was just something about the way they posted that made me think they were playing a part.

[edit on 1-10-2008 by rapinbatsisaltherage]

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
If someone is a good disinfo agent, you couldnt tell that he is.

Thats the smartest thing I have heard on this thread, lol, becasue if there were disinfo agents, we wouldnt even know they were here..

A star for that

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
You will never "KNOW" for certain. I believe there are true disinfo agents that spread throughout the wide world of 'nettage. I think we do ourselves a disservice when we try to identify them.

If a person or internet identity doggedly holds a position that seems contrary to evidence or logic, they may just be a person who has a vested interest -- perhaps a conviction that is holy to them -- and is not necessarily a compensated disinfo agent.

To identify them is to give creedence to their views, when -- in my very humble opinion -- what we should be doing is fortifying our own views. I have come across many occasions when honestly viewing evidence was diametrically opposed to what I wanted to believe. If the evidence is measurable and verifiable with a source or sources that seem to be objective, that causes me to question my own perceptions, measure them against my own paradigms, seek the truth, if only for my own sake. I value these people. They make me better.

Likewise, a true disinfo agent challenges my view. They provide evidence, and in the final analysis, if the evidence is valid, it doesn't really matter where it comes from.

I wrote a paper in college on "Propaganda and News Suppression". It was a semi-yawner, but it helped me to understand and identify the facets of propaganda. Propaganda almost always contains a grain or two of truth -- verifiable truth -- and builds upon those ideals, gradually shifting into hyperbole that is far removed from the truth, trusting the reader to accept the gradual shifts, having accepted the basic premise.

If these people exist (and I think they do) ........ I think they unwittingly make us better, make us do our homework, make us verify sources, and ...... THINK for ourselves. I've never been comfortable with a mob consensus. A mob takes on an identity of its own, and uses its own emotional angst as evidence toward a truth. We need to research and decide things on our own, and in the process be willing to follow the thread, even if it leads us astray of our beliefs.

There are many things I believe to be true. There are a handful of things I believe I can prove. There are few things I believe are impossible, as t hat is not a measurable quantity -- the set of things that can't happen.

Good thread. Thought-provoking, and I thank you. I will now go and spread my disinfo elsewhere.

Cheers

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   
How would I know a "disinfo" agent from Adam?

The snake.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

No Dear, I'm not referring to you. But, is OZ Australia? My OZ is is "The Wizard of..." that's my DG Dorothy Gale. And are you a weatherman? I'm a weather channel junkie in real life. When I'm not hangin here writing posts like this!

But thanks to Skyfloating for insight also.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I don't know if it's true that you can't tell. You might not know 100% but you would have a pretty good idea. Eg. When I first started to spot someone that I thought was a disinformation agent, some time ago, I observed their behaviour, what they said. I watch post after post after post, and this person was always the same, the objective was always the same.

I believe very much there are disinformation agents, you might not be able to tell 100%, but you with time, will get a pretty good idea. I just watch them for what they are, and try to gravitate towards those who seem to be actually speaking the truth and or trying to get the truth out.

Don't fool yourself, there are disinformation agents. I come from a community where people set up websites, and possibly write books, to be disinformation agents.

During Cointelpro, the government ran fake news stories, created organisations, fake flyers, lies, disgusting things, that was 30-40 years ago, imagine what they are capable of today.

Don't fool yourself, there are disinformation agents, and more than you think.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 08:23 PM
link   

No Dear, I'm not referring to you. But, is OZ Australia? My OZ is is "The Wizard of..." that's my DG Dorothy Gale. And are you a weatherman? I'm a weather channel junkie in real life. When I'm not hangin here writing posts like this!

But thanks to Skyfloating for insight also.

Yes Im Australian and I work for the Australian Bureau of Meteorology.

If you have noticed, everytime I start a weather related thread, the accusers seem to pop up with their allegations, lol.

Good thread as well, I can see it taking off a bit

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

Excellent Response! Well thought. I'm new here and I'm not sure how to "quote" but you made some very thought provoking points. Thank you for your insights. I'll keep reading!

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Harassment101

More good thoughts. Thank you. The poster on the other thread, who provoked this thread, was incredibly well written, spell checked and had very sound logic. HOWEVER, not a single, positive, thought provoking thing did he/she write. All criticism, no suggestion. "Prove you point, show evidence" All well and good and justifiably so, but where is YOUR (to the suspected disinfo poster) contribution? ADD to the discussion, don't just be the ..... ! This is what started this line of thinking....................

Keep it coming! S'il vous plait?!

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 08:43 PM
link   

I love watching the sky. And I especially like photographing what I believe to be chemtrails. I try to catch all the chemtrail threads, and I particularly enjoy your posts. I know nothing about meterology, and can always count on you to help me understand our atmosphere better. I know you dont believe in chemtrails, but what you offer to the threads is valuable too, you offer at least to explain how things work 'up there'.

Anyway, about your threads, I enjoy them too, and I hate having to skip a bunch of posts from posters who gang up you or are just there to disrupt the thread.

More to the topic now, I also think it is really bad debate etiquette, or posting etiquette, to, usually after three to five posts, most often on the first page, start with the "Disinfo" stuff. (and then theres the ones who have to be first to cry HOAX, without following the whole thread seriously).

I think the real disinfo is the disrupting of threads with pointless posts that shout disinfo and hoax, imo.

If someone were really a paid agent to post here, how does that differ from someone who reads one book, or has a friend who told him about something or another, then comes in and posts 'facts' he really does not know at all? It is in the end up to the poster to decide what 'info' to keep and what 'disinfo' to toss.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuhail

BUT!

I have found that time and a lot of reading have impressed upon me the insight to take everything with a grain of salt and that which inspires you to delve deeper is considered interesting, nothing more. If you find it of interest and do indeed look into it more intently, you will find for yourself that every case is different.

Good luck Dgirl, because the obvious lack of answers in this thread is indicative of the lack of a disinfo-meter on all that's written.

Cuhail

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Its true that someone who keeps posting the same stuff with the same mindset and the same intent day by day by day by day...is suspicious. There are some people here like that.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Its true that someone who keeps posting the same stuff with the same mindset and the same intent day by day by day by day...is suspicious. There are some people here like that.

What about people that keep posting disinfo allegations day by day by day by day....that in my opinion is also suspicious

Perhaps they are employed/paid by conspiracy theorists to accuse potential debunkers?

And thanks hotbaked....I appreciate that a lot

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuhail

BUT!

Cuhail

Text Cu hail I love this!! Sorry bout the previous screwed up post. Still learning here. Thank you for your insight. Under a black flag we shall sail..............

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   

reply to post by rapinbatsisaltherage

The thread is "get ready folks" and I read EVERY stinkin post. There is one poster there who many think is a "disinfo" agent. I want to know, logically, how one can know. Is it just gut reaction?

It would be my opinion that disinformation is not done in BULK, or very flashily.

I think that disinformation is wide-spread in that many different organizations or groups participate but I don't think there is a single group doing this for a singular goal, I think there are many goals.

Disinformation is all about timing, .. redirecting attention.

ALL in ALL I would have to say that it would be nearly impossible aside from seeing a signed paycheck, to determine who exactly is a disinfo agent, .. if you are looking for a way of guarding yourself, .. don't believe anything, or anyone without examining and researching their claims.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Tatergirl I've recently discovered chemtrails myself! I'm with you! We'll talk soon about this!

Thanks for your opinions on disinfo. Sorry if this is bad etiquette on my part. Didn't mean to offend!

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join