It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How would I know a "disinfo" agent from Adam?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   
What I would find to be rather amusing is the thought of 2 Disinfo agents going after each other not knowing that the other is a Disinfo agent. Can you imagine the flame war that would develop? (chuckle)

On a more serious note:

I am in agreement that it would be very difficult to know who is a Disinfo agent and who isn't. One can look at profiles and research the type of replys that they give but I doubt that it would be conclusive.

One thing that a poster mentioned was that Disinfo agents would avoid certain topics that are really "out there" so to speak. In my case (due to limited time) I'll find myself not bothering to read certain threads simply because they don't catch my interest. So I would say that because a person avoids certain threads may not necessarily mean that a person is an agent. Perhaps the person simply isn't interested.

A very well thought out and researched Thread by the way. I've learned much thank you.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Around about page 2 people started to hit upon the answer, data mining. They didn't name it specifically but their answers lead to it. By observing many factors and patterns of behavior over time you can learn quite a bit about a target.

A decent understanding of psychology helps immensely. Given enough data points our behaviors are easily predicted. Why do you think the concept of disinfo would be put to use in the first place?

Pattern recognition, typed speech characteristics including word usage, repeated misspellings & punctuation, and other internet forensic info like IP addy are all pieces of the puzzle and can be used together to infer things about a target. Here's a simple exercise using a few forums that some of you may or may not know about. Using IBoD's forums and LATOC's forums (finding these places just might be your first foray into this fun hobby!) try to determine something as simple as a single user posting under two different names on the same or both boards. This isn't an exercise in disinfo; rather it's an exercise in data mining and simple internet forensics to you give you an idea what I'm trying to get you to understand. It doesn't hurt to have at least a rudimentary understanding of these methods as they are most assuredly being used by persons of power and political influence against this forum and others like it on a daily basis. A healthy dose of paranoia might be good for you...

Most cries of 'you're just a disinfo agent' are totally w/o merit and are used as ridiculous outs to ridiculous arguments. To really recognize an instance of disinfo dissemination thousands of data points would need to corroborate an allegation.

Well, look at me implying that I know something!

<< 1  2  3   >>

join