It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hackers infiltrate Large Hadron Collider & shutdown CMS website

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Guys,

this is disturbing news indeed!
At team of hackers gained access today into the Large Hadron Collider facility today and successfully hacked into it's CMS network. The CMS website was shutdown and the network was compromised and this brings the whole safety and security of the facility into question. Apparently they were just "one step away" from the computer control system of one of the huge detectors of the machine.
see their site is down - cmsmon.cern.ch...

Read more about this here

[edit on 12-9-2008 by ufossydney]

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Just curious...

What has this got to do with aliens and ufos?

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
LOL,

I was just thinking the same thing.

Anyhow, good story.

I have linked it to the other ongoing thread involving ATS being hacked

Just my conspiracy theory for the day.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by ufossydney

Now that IS a bit worrying! If true, the fact that hackers can get into something like the Collider poses a much bigger security breach than what Gary McKinnon has been accused of doing!

Ross

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by nomadrush
reply to post by ufossydney

Now that IS a bit worrying! If true, the fact that hackers can get into something like the Collider poses a much bigger security breach than what Gary McKinnon has been accused of doing!

Ross

Interestingly, the perpetrators are not being called 'terrorists'. Nor do they seem to be approaching this as a potential 'cyber-terror' event.

Billions of dollars, millions of man-hours, no effective firewall or tar-pit. Go figure.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Nonsense..

Anyone with half a brain would have the LHC on an entirely different network than the internet. Physically seperated from the internet. This is not "live free or die hard".

I don't buy it at all.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
Nonsense..

Anyone with half a brain would have the LHC on an entirely different network than the internet. Physically seperated from the internet. This is not "live free or die hard".

I don't buy it at all.

Well they probably keep the computers that govern the actual running of the device separate from the internet, but the computers involved in analyzing the data from the detectors are definitely hooked up to the internet, in order to give parts of the data to computer networks around the world for distributed processing of the massive amount of data it's expected to generate.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   
The LHC data has the highest bandwidth network capability ever built. It is revolutionizing the internet!

No not seperate. Not at all.

Since when is it dangerous?

What can a terrorist do with an LHC, hijack protons and crash them into one another?

If it is dangerous, then I would like to hear more about these dangers.

top topics

join