It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Project Stock - A Newbie's Guide to Stocking Food

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Hello noble posters.

I just wanted to first thank all of the posters in the survival forum who have dedicated so much time to archive resources and information in threads for everyone.

I understand that the topic of this thread is very similar to the thread "What did you stock this week". However, I would like to ask for the help of the people with knowledge on food storage.

I have felt the personal need to buy food and stock it, in case of emergency (or sit x). This urge has been growing steadily in the past months, as I pay attention to world politics and current events.

I would like you to criticize what I have bought to add to my food storage.

My Scenario
-----------------------------------
I live alone, so I don't have the need to stock for large numbers of people
I have a limited budget, so I am not able to buy in huge quantities
I have limited storage, so I really need to purchase efficiently.

I don't have the space or money to be buying items that are not going to hold up in storage for reasonable amount of time.

I would like this to be a place where someone in a similar circumstance can view and maybe find some tips, or tricks on food storage.

What I would like to Know
--------------------------------------
I am skeptical about bags and containers that food comes in, so I will have direct questions about that.
Also, if I list a food item that will not preserve well, or has very little shelf life; please let me know so I can change my buying habits.

Thanks!

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Today I purchased my first batch of food that I intend on storing.

I spent approximately 35 dollars on this food.

I also have a question about portion size in case of Sit X. I am just an individual. Does it make better sense for me to buy smaller portioned containers, so that extra will not go to waste in Sit X? I also don't feel that I have the storage space to utilize #10 cans.

Today's Purchase

Canned Fruit
---- 2 Small Cans of Peach Halves in Syrup
Does fruit have long enough shelf life to be a viable store?
-------------------------------------------

Beans
--- 2 cans Ranch Style Beans w/ Jalapenos
--- 2 cans Pork and Beans
--- 2 cans Refried Beans
I was undecided if I should get Fat Free Beans or not. Would the fat be desired in Sit X?
--------------------------------------------

Veggies
--- 2 cans sliced Carrots
--- 2 cans Peas - no salt
--- 3 cans whole Green Beans
--- 2 cans Corn - no salt
Are Pickles a good store?
Will veggies with salt store better or worse?
----------------------------------------------

Other
--- 2 cans Beef and Maccaroni
--- 2 cans of Tuna in 100% Vegetable Oil
--- 1 package boullion Chicken 6 cubes
----2 package boullion Tomatoe and Chicken 6 cubes
I read in another thread that the oil can be used for frying. Does that oil keep a tuna flavor?
Will the boullion in a container keep better than cubes, or vice versa?
---------------------------------------------

Rice
--- Medium Size Bag of Brown Rice
I am unsure of the bag that this is in, it doesn't seem adequate to store for long periods of time. Is a zip loc bag good enough? How long can rice be stored?
---------------------------------------------

Tomato Stuff
--- 2 cans Whole Tomatoes
--- 2 cans diced Tomatoes with Green Onions
--- 4 cans Tomato Sauce no salt
--- 4 cans Tomato Paste
I just love Tomatoes ( even from a can), but is it a viable store option?

Thanks for your input!

Edit:
I looked at the dry pastas, but I was unsure if I could store them. How long can dry pasta such as spaghetti or bow tie pasta stay if sealed?

Also, what about pasta mixes such as Pasta Roni, or the ones in the envelopes, if I take it out of the box or pouch, and put it into a better container, are they able to be stored?

[edit on 26-7-2008 by ThreeDeuce]

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I think pickles have a best before date...but they stay good a long time supposedly.
And pasta isnt much more than flour and water....shouldn't ever go bad unless it gets wet, as long as you dont get egg noodles.

But that's more opinion than fact.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Thanks for the feedback Biohazard.

I figured the same with pasta, I also wonder about the packaging that it is in, would that be adequate?

For all my foods, I have a vacuum sealer. But, I don't want to use it unless I need to extend the shelf life of a specific product, because the bags are not cheap.

I'm thinking that pastas and rice might benefit from vacuum storage, or is factory packaging adequate?

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   
You have a good start there.
Personally, I don't store uncooked pasta. It does me no good if I have no way to cook it.
I buy nothing that can't be eaten straight out of the package.
Small portions for you are the best, as you are only feeding yourself.
Chances are, you won't have a way to store leftovers.
Canned goods left open , not refrigerated can easily become toxic.
Pickles are a bad idea for this reason.
If it says any where on the product "Refrigerate After Opening" it won't work.
Definitely read through the threads in the survival forum, and make yourself a list.
For being on a budget..
buy canned goods when they are on sale at the store.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Hello, and welcome! I think you're off to a good start. Your ability to store foods for a long time is going to be somewhat dependent upon your mean climate..... For example, I live in the tropics. I've found that wheat products, corn meal arrive packaged with wevil eggs. It's not a conspiracy, it's just the nature of the harvesting and packaging. If you plan to store any of these products (dry pasta, flour, etc.) and your climate is warm to ocassionally hot, if you freeze the products (in a ziplock bag, so they don't get damp) for two days, that kills the eggs, and they will not grow wevils. Now, in a SitX, those wevils are nothing but protein anyway, but they can degrade the quality of the products over time.

I recommend you stock what you eat, and mark with a permanent marker the date your purchased, so you can rotate your stocks. There may be some things that you can make yourself, or grow, and I tend toward stocking things I cannot replace myself, such as canned butter, canned cheese, wheat flours, yeast, rice, etc. I think rice in particular, once repackaged in something airtight, will keep almost indefinately. You can buy little packets for really cheap that are absorbtive of oxygen, and that's a good thing to put in your storage containers.

I think you're right about small sub-packages, especially things that have a short life once opened. When I get tinned milk, I"d rather get the small cans, rather than a larger one. If I get powdered milk, I'll repackage it into several very small containers. Sugars........ pure honey will keep for a very very long time, if not exposed to air.

Consider that water -- the acquisition, storage, filtration and/or purification is likely to be one of the most pressing things. We capture rainwater, filter it, use it to run the house. We're fortunate to have a good clean well for plant watering. In a SitX a good quality filter is going to be your friend. I found a very good Katadyn MK6 desalinator for about $200.00 on Ebay. This is a somewhat long-term item and well worth the price. You have to figure out your water strategy..... will you purify with chemicals or filter? There is also a product called Polar Pure, which has iodine crystals...... it's a small glass bottle, and has enough material in it to treat 500 gallons of water. It really depends upon your water source. I feel that most people don't really realize their water needs. I can get by on 1/2 gallon a day consumed water, IF I'm not doing too heavy of labor. Minimally, 1/2 gallon to drink, perhaps a liter to cook with, which can also be later reused for other things. Factor in hygiene water.

It can seem overwhelming, and I really like that you're laying it all out here, and starting from scratch, because I think many people can really benefit from this approach. When you start getting a little bit every time you shop, and it's food that you like, there really is little financial crunch. Worst case is, you save some money. Perhaps nothing will happen, but we can't really count on that.

I'm sure I'll learn something new in your thread too...... that's the best part of sharing ideas.

Cheers! Will check back from time to time

[edit on 26-7-2008 by argentus]

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   
BTW, it makes a lot of sense your stocking of tomato products. The acidic stuff stores for a long time. Obviously, you'd never consume anything from a bulging can, as the gasses that made it bulge are indicative of spoiled food. Botulism is one of the most toxic compounds known.

And, yes, the oils of tuna will retain some of the fish smell, but not so much of the taste. Myself, I prefer to stock olive oil in cans, but I also buy tuna in oil.

Don't forget to provide for your pets, if any.

Cheers

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I wouldnt worry too much about having Fat Free goods as Fat (Lipids) = Energy. Fat is the fastest, most basic and efficient (digestion wise) of the nutrients that your body can convert to energy. The brain alone uses 15% of your energy requirements, let alone doing any physical work. In a survival type situation, Fat is good. Excess fat will be stored by the body for leaner times.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Wow, great ideas!

Argentus, the idea of freezing the food to kill the wevil eggs is a great tip! I had previously decided not to store cornmeal for this reason, but if I freeze then vacuum seal it, it sounds like it should store well.

Argentus, I love the idea of tinned butter. I saw that in the other thread, and realized how neccesary butters/oils are for cooking. Does that canned butter have a decent shelf life?

Also, you mentioned canned milk. I had never thought that dairy products could be a stored item for long term use, but any canned milk or condensed milk should shelve well. Thanks!

About drinking water, I'm going to be ordering a straw, chemicals, and eventually a purifier. I definitely enjoy the other threads with the equipment needed for sit x.

I've also noticed people canning veggies on some other threads.
Does anyone pickle meats or veggies, or dry/cure meats for long time storage? I'm curious what the most effective means of preservation for lengthy shelve periods.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Dont forget powdered milk and other freeze-dried products or de-hydrated products. Salt is another must have - even if you only use it for trading as it will become a major comodity for preserving food.

Dont forget dried spices and herbs - this can make the difference in having a bland meal to having a gourmet one.

Its also a good idea to think in terms of having meals that can be cooked in the one pot or pan like stews, casseroles or soups or as we in the RN used to call it ''pot-mess'' as it is quicker and more fuel efficient plus you can use a hay-box cooker to finish cooking the meal off thus conserving fuel.

www.selfsufficientish.com...

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Just some tips off the top of my head.

Don't buy dented cans. Canned foods can last for years. It may become discolored, but as long as it smells and tastes ok, it's fine.

Canned meat. (Spam)
Canned chili without beans.
Canned gravy (for taste)
Peanut Butter

Bags of rice and beans, stored in a cool, dry place in an air-tight plastic container. Pasta, too.

Canned Food Info

Good Food Page

Spices, SALT, Sugar, flour, cornmeal, All stored in air-tight plastic containers.

Matches, batteries, knives, can openers.

If you have a Costco nearby, you might want to check this thread out.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I cannot say enough good things about peanut butter - it's the PERFECT food to store and consume in a rationing situation because it's protein, carbs, and fats. Eat peanut butter + drink water + take your vitamin = live forever.

Don't believe the expiration date on most peanut butter, it lasts far longer than that.

Also, whole hard wheat will last forever if kept dry, you just need a grinder. Wheat was found in the pyramids, thousands of years old, and it was good to eat.

I also like oats for this reason.

Tomatoes are actually MORE susceptible to botulism, if I'm not mistaken..something to consider.

Also, canning your own foods can be much cheaper, but there's also an increased risk of food-borne illness, so be very careful and learn how to do it right - don't skip steps or be impatient. If you decide to can your own food, you have to consider the possible ramifications if you do it incorrectly.

Canned fruit lasts 1-2 years I think.

Most cans of tuna in oil that are on supermarket shelves right now won't expire until 2010 or 2012. So..that's a VERY good choice.

Keep stored food off the ground - this can't be stressed enough. If you place the foods on ground, condensation will rot boxes and rust cans.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Your kind of lucky that your only having to provide for yourself,It makes it much easier.

We have a family of 5 and have found the best way to maximize food preps is to make the preps an extension of our pantry.
We stock what we use so that most items get rotated fairly often.
we have some long term items that we never really get into like bulk sugar and honey (which lats forever) vacuum packed rice and beans, oats and wheatberries.
Having a case or two of MREs is a good idea in case you need to eat on the move.
A means to cook without utility service is a must, a good camp stove is a wise investment.

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 12:16 AM
link   
On the subject of rice and beans - I LOVE rice and beans. Rice is not great for you, nutritionally speaking. It will fill your belly, but it won't keep you from wasting away due to malnutrition. Beans are necessary, not just a good idea. Without the beans, it's not enough of a meal to keep your body going for long. Just wanted to add that. Did I mention I LOVE rice and beans? lol Delicious, easy to cook, and it lasts practically forever if properly stored. What's not to love? (Add boulion cube(s) to the water that's getting absorbed by the rice to get more flavor - that's another really good thing to have - just some hot broth after a cold, rainy day will do wonders for the spirit if you've learned to love those sorts of simple pleasures).

Everyone but me apparently loves those camp stoves - I don't. What I like LEAST about them is the fuel they require, and the hassle that one has to go through to store enough of it to make the endeavor worthwhile. I dunno - there's gotta be a boatload of good reasons why people love 'em, I just am not one of those people.

I also like how quickly water boils over a large-ish wood fire (even one that's buried), compared to how long it takes to just boil a quart or two over one of those tiny camp stove rings.

Camp stoves require fuel, and not the kind you can collect in the form of windfall, and while white fuel is efficient and all, it goes QUICK in emergency situations, and it's going to be hard to find in no time at all. Unless you've got enough of the stuff to last you years (which I think would be logistics nightmare), you're going to have to find an alternate fuel source for your cooking eventually. If you do so sooner rather than later you can save yourself a load of money and risk.

Just my opinion - everyone else seems to think differently, so I'm probably the one who is wrong.

Another note - if you store liquids like broth, canned fruits, condensed milk - anything that can settle, be sure to rotate it every so often, just pick the can up and turn it over like an hourglass. I'm not sure if shaking is a good idea, because it creates air bubbles, but definitely rotate to keep stuff from separating and spoiling quicker.

[edit on 27-7-2008 by WyrdeOne]

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Wotan, that modified haybox is a very interesting design. I will definitely keep that in my knowledge of how to build said box for sit x. I might build a personal sized one for my own use, I'll let you know how it works out!

Patriot, you stated that sugar and honey lasts forever. How do you store your sugar (I'm assuming it is in sizeable bags). Do pests get into the sugar bags? I"m very hesitant to store sugar due to pests. Any suggestions?

Benevolent or WyrdeOne, you both mention peanut butter. Is the store packaging with the seal intact (the normal plastic container) decent to store in, or do I need to look for some sort of canned peanut butter? (which I don't know if I have ever seen).

Wyrde, thanks for the tip of turning over the canned goods after a while. I would not have thought of that! These are the types of tips that I'm looking for. Thanks! You said that rice is not great for you nutrionally speaking?? I am stocking brown rice, which I thought was very nutritious, am I mistaken?

Wyrde, I understand how you don't like the camp stoves. I personally think they can be invaluable. A quick flame is important in hypothermia cases, where you need to dry off as quick as possible. Also, if using canned foods, you can strip off the label, pop the top, and set the can right on top. Heat and Eat! (I don't think there are health risks to heating up in its can ... I could be wrong).

Was there anything listed in my purchase that has a questionable shelf life? If so, let me know I can eat it soon, and I won't rebuy said item!

Thanks

[edit on 27-7-2008 by ThreeDeuce]

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by WyrdeOne

I don't think you're wrong about the camp stoves insofar as long-term needs Wyrdeone. We cook with propane, rather than electric, so for us, it's a natural thing to have a smaller version stove as a backup, and we also keep one of the small "C" tanks. In a normal year, (with a good amount of baking) the two of us go through one 190# (100 pounds of propane) container. I'ts possible in a SitX a person might not want to show a smoke trail of any kind. -- small, cooking/warming fires, ones that burn clean whatever fuel one uses.

Folding mini camp stoves, as well as a single uncoated grill are also part of our goodie locker. It's sometimes beneficial to research a person's local wood, find out what seasons quickly, what burns clean, etc. For us, it's sea grape, which is plentiful, grows quickly, seasons fast. Stainless steel nesting camp cooking kits are now pretty cheap too. I think ours was around $20.00 USD for a little pot, skillet, platelet, cup, cutlery.

Here's a resource for some solar ovens/dehydrators. I've only tried one, a homemade box type, but it worked. Not a good thing for people on the move, but still good to learn how to make, how to use, and its limitations: solarcooking.org...

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 07:28 AM
link   
New Additions to My Food Store :
------------------------------------------

Large bag Yellow Popcorn Kernels
2 lb. container Old- Fashioned Oats
30 packets Instant Cocoa Drink
Package of 30 Tea Bags
4 packages individual instant pudding.
20 instant flavored Oatmeal packets
5 packages regular spaghetti
7 packets Koolaid mix (small packets sugar needed)

I'm unsure if the Tea Bags will keep. However, I do think that if I get a good amount, and vacuum seal, it should keep. Any thoughts?

I'm also currently in scrounge mode, and I'm raiding family members pantries for items they will never use, so that is allowing free additions to my storage pantry.

To a few of the posters : I definitely enjoy the additions that you have made to this post. However, if we could stay on subject and not talk about different cooking methods, but keep this thread to food storage, so it does not get sidetracked.

Maybe a thread for food Sit X food preparation and cooking would be useful? I know I would have some interesting information to contribute to that thread from my years of camping.

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by ThreeDeuce

Sorry about that. I just assumed that storage and preparation are so interrelated that you'd want to discuss them both. To some degree what you store is dependent upon how you can utilize the stuff.

Understand though, no worries.

Back on topic, I use a lot of drywall (joint compound) buckets. Theses buckets usually have a rubber grommet in the lid -- makes them pretty water and airtight. They are easily washed out, and when I repackage dry goods in ziplock bags, I'll use a straw in the corner of the bag, attempt to suck out most of any air remaining, reseal it. Your vacuum machine seems like a good deal for this. Then I tightly pack the drywall bucket with bag, toss it a couple of dessicant packs and snap the lids back on tight. Most of the time, each bucket will have an assortment of things, rather than one bucket being all dried beans. That way, when I do food rotations, I can just rotate the buckets, with the assortment of stuff in the bucket being all stuff purchased around the same time. There might be rice, beans, herbs/spices, bullion, quinoa, little packets of saffron, flour, cornmeal, yeast, powdered milk, honey, etc. Plus, then a person has a handy metal handle to carry the bucket with.

Cheers!

[edit on 27-7-2008 by argentus]

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Honey will last forever - I'm not sure about sugar.

As far as tea, you'd probably have better luck with tea leaves rather than tea bags. The tea in the bags is minced so fine, it's got a ton of surface area for the air to get at, so it will degrade much faster. For the same reason, ground flour is inferior to whole hard wheat.

There are a couple of techniques for getting a fire going that will reduce or eliminate much of your smoke - so evading pursuit or avoiding drawing attention can still be accomplished even without white fuel stoves.

Peanut butter is pretty stable, even after being opened, as long as it's stored in a cool, dry place. It will eventually go rancid, but it takes a while, and with the smaller jars you'll definitely eat it all before it's gone.

I suppose glass jars would be better, but that's a lot of weight. I tend to be very weight conscious when it comes to foodstuffs...

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Powdered soup base. Just add water. (add canned meat and canned vegetable and you’ve got stew!) Find soup bases by the rice in the store. Some have dehydrated veggies. I can’t eat them because of MSG, but I’d stock up on that.

Food in jars is the same as canned food. You just have to be more careful.

Brown rice is better than white. Plus, like Wyrde said, you can soak up bullion or canned broth (another good stock item) and it’s filling.

Tea bags will keep forever. Put them in airtight plastic. They might not taste as fresh and flavorful, but they won’t go “bad”.

Kitty Litter buckets (or drywall containers) are great for storing food.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join