It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant 100 by 50 ft Rebel Flag in Tampa, Fl

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I am afraid that certain things cannot be redefined. Should we quit growing cotton because it might offend some? For those looking for special meaning in an inanimate object should perhaps be the ones who should redefine their thinking. Are people offended by that pirate flag with the skull and crossbones? I mean it certainly represents bad stuff.
The flag is simply a battle flag for those who fought for the confederate army, more or less a military relic. Reading other significance or meaning into it, would be factually incorrect.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Nazis?

How about an invading army marching on its own people, butchering women and children, looting, raping southern women and burning entire cities to the ground as they go?

If any comparison need be drawn to the nazi party I would say that label belongs to Sherman and the Union army.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by stikkinikki
reply to post by NightVision

I remember watching the Dukes and wondering why they were allowed to use the Confederate flag on TV and that was when I was 11 years old. The Confederate flag is an emotional symbol. Some people see segregation, Jim Crow laws, lynching, and KKK and white supremacy as I mentioned earlier. I was taught do unto others as you would have them do unto you so if you know your displaying the Confederate flag (the Dukes of hazard -stars and bars) is painful and offensive to others, why do you do it?

I like the earlier posters idea about using an earlier Confederate Flag. I identify with the 13 stars flag, the American flag and the Don't Tread on Me flags. For me they all represent the United States of America.

I see what you're saying. Now lets all take a step back and get an outside perspective of what the American Flag might mean to the rest of the world. Right now, its pretty offensive to a lot of people. To many, it stands for corporate greed, starting wars for money, killing the innocent, waterboarding, loose sexual morals, invasive foreign policy, etc. But it also stands for a lot of really good things that people don't always see. I think the positives far outweigh the negatives. The Rebel flag, for me, is still cool despite the bad rap. And thats why we don't take down the American Flag, even it is offensive to millions.

Now I was 4 when I first saw dukes (1980 or so) and back then, the Rebel Flag was not widely regarded as offensive. Not sure quite what exactly happened that made people stand up against it more between now and then.

Originally posted by mapsurfer_
Are people offended by that pirate flag with the skull and crossbones? I mean it certainly represents bad stuff.

Well said. Certainly pirate's of the colonial era and before (even now) are morally questionable entities at best. Somehow raping and pillaging is still cool if we fly a pirate flag? I think not. Some things are just a matter of perspective.

[edit on 2-9-2008 by NightVision]

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Fly it high and proud.

If people are ignorant enough to call it racist, then who cares? Get your panties out of a wad and deal with it. I'll fly the flag, and I'm not going to take it down because it offends the ignorant.

The Civil War wasn't fought over slavery, it was States Rights, smaller government, which is exactly what this country needs now!

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I'm a member of the Sons of Confederate Veterans, and you'll probably see a lot of these flags going up all over the south thanks to the SCV. I think most of our members were once happy to have these flags flying only at cemeteries and monuments, but then the liberals started attacking it. Flags were removed from monuments and other out of the way places and now we're putting it in there faces. They're going to see more Confederate Flags now then they ever dreamed of.

People forget that the American Flag flew over Yankee slave ships and it was under the US Flag that the Indians were killed. Hitler studied Lincoln and Union Military tactics and admired them, so comparing a Confederate Flag to a Nazi Flag is foolish and shows that one is uneducated. The only official flag of the KKK is the US Flag.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
To the posters who claim this flag is racist.

I submit the following article which just might surprise you.

www.sptimes.com...

I happen to live in Tampa and would hate to see my home or this story get hijacked.

regards....kk

[edit on 2-9-2008 by kinda kurious]

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   
We have a small confederate cemetery nearby, on Confederate Memorial Day the graves used to be decorated with the flag they died under. Maybe 40 graves, mostly unknown soldiers, small little stones in a cemetery that gets very little traffic.

The new black mayor decided that was offensive so he had all the flags stripped from the graves that same day. Bet it made him feel a whole lot better about himself.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Critical

I have 3 ancestors that fought in the civil war for the CSA, and I am very proud of their service. Thanks for asking!

[edit on 2-9-2008 by desertdreamer]

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   
How I detest ignorance. Such a waste of time. They apparently don't teach history any more. Some revisionists tell folks their version, and it becomes gospel.

One ancestor rode with Bloody Bill Anderson in the west, and another rode with Moseby, tearing up and down the Shenandoah. Both raised their arms after northern troops invaded their homes and killed innocents. Custer was a butcher, and fortunately, he eventually got his. My families were too poor to own slaves, as were most of the Southerners, and they would never have picked up a rifle to defend slavery!

They all fought an intrusive and compelling federal government, coming in and telling them how to do things, what they could do, and how many times. The states had a right to succeed, and you'll notice that they never "rejoined" the union. Technically, the Southern states are occupied territories, and only states by tradition. Texas really got screwed. They were an independent Republic.

And as far as armed insurrection, that was the original intent and purpose of the fourth amendment. Our own founding fathers stated that a little rebellion now and again was a good thing. But only to defend the Constitution, and fight to restore it and its original intent.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

I totally agree! For those of us with family members that fought in the civil war it is an honor and a privilege to fly the stars and bars! I bet if they were flying the Bonnie Blue flag of the Confederacy in Florida, most of the people that are offended by the battle flag would not even know that the Bonnie Blue was a Confederate flag, and would probably say that it looked great. Ignorance abounds on this subject. What really gets me is the people that just jump on the racist bandwagon whenever they see a Confederate flag! Go read up on what all the Civil War was about, it was not just slavery.....any 7th grade student could tell you that!

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

That mayor should step down, out of shame and for showing his own ignorance. What town and state? I would like to let the SOCV know about it. Thanks.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I fly the Bonnie Blue and First National sometimes too. Most people have no idea what they are. A friend of mine who lives in Baltimore and does reenacting flies a Battle Flag in front of his house. He told me that one morning he was packing his car to go to an reenactment and some of his black neighbors were walking by and he overheard them say, " I didn't know Bill was British." I think some people couldn't identify the US Flag if they had to.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   
When people understand that Lincoln did not free the slaves and instead made us all slaves to the Bankers and Elite Robber Barons of the North East Establishment that flag will be vindicated as the flag of the true defenders of the constitution.

Everytime I look at a penny , a five dollar bill, or a fifty dollar bill my stomach just turns over at the fact these war crimanals are considered heroes.

Sic semper tyrannis

Deo Vindice

[edit on 9/3/2008 by DarkStormCrow]

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by justamomma

Originally posted by stikkinikkiA lot of us see KKK and white supremecy when we see the confederate flag. It's really that simple. Straight truth.

Your ignorance, your problem. It's really that simple

I am glad that I provided some humor for you although it was unintentional. I was just explaining the situation in plain and simple terms.

I didn't call you or anyone that flies that flag ignorant.

Please avoid taking cheap shots. There are other boards for laying smack down.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinda kurious
To the posters who claim this flag is racist.

I submit the following article which just might surprise you.

www.sptimes.com...

I happen to live in Tampa and would hate to see my home or this story get hijacked.

regards....kk

[edit on 2-9-2008 by kinda kurious]

Nice article. Thank you for posting it as it is appropriate for this discussion and shows the gulf between history and perception is not limited to the later 20th century. Publicize stories like these and you will take the bite away from that flag thereby making display of it more or less harmless in the minds of those who currently get the heebie-jeebies at the sight of it. Mark my words.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Growing up as a (at least) fourth generation Georgian, there was no racism involved in my outlook of the confederate flag!
I had black friends! (whom I DIDN'T look down on as 'darkies' or inferiors!)
It was about the south.
Now, the South(to others)is mainly about, "you might be a redneck'.....
I love where I'm from!

Sonny Perdue made friends here in Georgia, by saying that we would have a referrendom on the state flag and reniged.
I met his wife and she's nice!
Now, I'm more concerned with the federal outlook on NWO.

[edit on 2-9-2008 by Clearskies]

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by mikedw

Exactly, very well put mikedw!

I too have submitted to join the SCV here in Texas, I actually did a newsletter for one of the camps down here (Spaights Battalion), and my Cousin was the Gulf Coast Division Commander for a while. Glad to see some other SCV supporters out there!

[edit on 2-9-2008 by desertdreamer]

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by free-energy

Like so many lies upon which we now live as fact; The Civil War between the states was not about slavery. In fact, Lincoln’s War against the South was not about Slavery until the North/Federalist were losing their war and in order to swing support from the Non-Slavery States they added it to their list of causes. Take it from a descendant of Indian Killers and Slave Owners, we regret wiping out the Indians and regret our use and involvement with Slavery, and if we had to do it all over, we would much prefer to have the Indians than the slaves and their descendants here. Ironically, the way things are going, we (The Whites) will be gone in a few generations and the descendants of the slaves and the Indians will dominate this country. As you can see, many of us are already leaving, have left, are or will be absorbed (absorbed, as in bred out of existence, Obama is one example).

Think what you want, that Confederate Flag is not about Slavery, it is about the Founding Principals of a "Republic", the right of the "Individual" to live free of the MOB, which is what Democracy really is..MOB RULE.
I am not in the mood for a detailed history lesson or debate on this subject, including from the White Tra-h that make us look bad; as a True American believe ALL PEOPLE have a right to live free etc
Some of you may remember as children the “Pledge Of Allegiance” we all use to give/say at the beginning of the school day, remember? The Federalist, the Democrats, the people who knowingly or unknowingly are supporting the NEW WORLD ORDER have done a pretty good job of removing GOD and the founding principles upon which this country was built from our schools and even the “Republicans” have gotten what they are suppose to be about..a REPUBLIC !!
Open your eyes and hear again what this country is supposed to be about and maybe you will see why we are doomed:
I pledge allegiance to my Flag,
and to the Republic for which it stands:
one Nation indivisible,
With Liberty and Justice for all.
Think, and take a closer look, including at what Democracy means and what Republican is supposed to mean; either the Democrats or Republicans represent what the founding fathers intended, either defend our Constitution and that is why America, the Land of the Free and Home of the Brave is doomed.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by desertdreamer

Here is Maryland we only have under 500 in the SCV Division, but we get a lot of exposure. The color guard wins awards every year for performing in different parades. The former first lady of Maryland, used the SCV Color Guard several times, and no one every said a word. It's very hard for the liberals here to label us as racist rednecks, most of our members our professionals, ex military, and a lot of government workers. We were also the first state to have SCV License tags. In 5 years I've only received a couple dirty looks from having them and for all I know they could have been doing that because of my Square and Compass Logo, since I'm a mason also. Congratulations on joining it's a great group.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by mikedw

Thanks for the information, sounds like a great group over there. I have not quite found a group to really get involved with down here yet. The first one i looked at was full of alot of old timers. No offense against them, they bring alot of information and experience to the table, but I am looking for a more active group. Anyway, kind of got off topic a little there, sorry!

<< 1    3 >>

join