It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who/what is this Anonymous poster? A bot to bump threads? Joined 5/5/08

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Who/what is this Anonymous poster? A bot to bump threads? Joined 5/5/08

What is this? A member that has no posts listed, no threads started yet has nearly 1500 ATS points/
Is this a sock puppet sent in to bump threads? A bot of some kind? Admin. Keeping threads on the front page? On the recent post list he/she is mentioned as having posted,
Yet there is no post by them in the thread.

What’s going on, anyone know?
Comments?

Member profile
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Zeptepi

One of his/her posts is on this page;

www.abovetopsecret.com...

If you look at the Signature it kind of explains it, here is the signature:

“General account for replies from anonymous readers of ATS.”

So it must be a new thing so people who don’t want to register can still post?

Mikey

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 07:49 AM
link   
I've been wondering this myself. What I found strange was that the usual user info below the avatar was not present.

Edit: I see now that it shows up when at the member page but not on the sidebar of a particular post.

[edit on 14-5-2008 by SystemiK]

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 07:53 AM
link   
it's a new feature. when people post anonymously that image will appear. everyone posting anonymously will show up like that. it can be anyone from Michael Jackson to Robbie williams. So it's everyone. kinda cool. I wont use it myself, because I won't be getting any points!

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 07:54 AM
link   
it's just a feature that allows non-members to give an opinion if they wish, it has been around for about six months i think. if you log out and go into a thread you'll see a big button that says "post anonymously".
hope this helps.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Yep, just had a look at that’s exactly what it is.

If you log out and go to any of the threads to have the option to “ANONYMOUS REPLY”.

Once you do, the following message comes up:

“ANONYMOUS REPLY You can submit an anonymous reply as an unregistered user, however, please be aware that your post is subject to approval (it will not appear until our staff approves it) and your IP address will be recorded but kept private.”

So yea, must be new.

Mikey

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Ok,
just wondering. how can they post on a topic, then no post shows up/
it just bumps the thread without a comment .

I did see his/her first post in sigil.

Interesting new feature? yes/no?

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 07:58 AM
link   
My question is - Can it be used by members to post anonymously if they log out? If so, that sucks. If not, that sucks too.

If members can't use it, what incentive is there to join? If it would have been available last summer, I darn sure might have lurked/anonymous posted much longer.

[edit on 14/5/08 by kosmicjack]

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Yes, this is a new twist on an old feature that was discontinued some time back.

Due to our rising popularity, there's an increasing number of visitors who would like to provide some feedback on specific topics... but may not be interested in membership or following other topics on ATS. This feature enables these people to provide their opinion or information in a quick and painless way, then our staff decides if it's appropriate or not (over 90% of the anonymous replies have been approved, only those with T&C violations are not).

Already I've seen several very-good contributions through this method, so the early indications are very good.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
My question is - Can it be used by members to post anonymously if they log out? If so, that sucks. If not, that sucks too.

Well when I went out to have a look at it, I went to use it and it was going to let me post (I did'nt because I was just looking). But I asume it would of let me post.

In saying that, it does say that they will keep the IP address, so maybe if they see that it's the IP address of a registared member? But I dont know how that would work, I mean my IP address has 2 registared members (myself and my partner).

Personally I think it's a bad system, 1: It stops people from joining the site, and 2: it could be used by member who log out and boost their own post?

Mikey

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

I was wondering the same thing. So if I don't like another member and I want to really give them a piece of my mind, but I don't want to get banned... all I have to do is log out and let them have it from Mr Anonymous? Seems like that might get abused.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 08:04 AM
link   
So there is a filter process? MODs give the final go-ahead?

If so, then the post ought to provide meaningful input or content. I had an anonymous post in one of my threads that was about as meaningful as white bread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

If non-members are allowed to post with the privilege of anonymity, their input should be exceptional.

[edit on 14/5/08 by kosmicjack]

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Doh...
I see, wow, I had no idea you could post like that.
Kinda takes the fun outa posting comments, in my opinion.

Thanks for the quick answers to my newbie question.

Peace

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 08:15 AM
link   
So if I post with this guy on the mask and cool shades, do I get punished? or is it ok? I think that recording the IP doesn't really make it an anonymous post. but hey, I see people are using it, maybe they fear my wrath.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Personally, I don't like the idea much. Having several different anonymous posters in one thread will create massive confusion when you have no idea if all the comments came from one person or many.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 08:23 AM
link   
We're experimenting with the idea to see how it goes. As we get experience with the kind of material being posted, we might refine the process and/or limit the number of anonymous posts someone can make within a defined period of time. We might also do a cross-reference check against known member IP addresses... good point brought up in this thread.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I've already found myself scrolling past any post with the anonymous avatar and ignoring them completely. I've become so accustomed to other posters and their avatars that they're sort of like faces and have more value to me than the anonymous posts. At least as of now.

I wonder if you can put the anonymous posts on your ignore list and have them all just go away?

Yup, apparently you can.

[edit on 14-5-2008 by thisguyrighthere]

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Thanks. I was about to ask the question about "ignore" as it is an option on the anonymous avatar.

After just catching up on a thread that had almost a full page of anonymous, useless posts making points that had already been made in the thread - this is an option I will definitely consider.

Question: Does it just ignore Anonymous posts from that I.P. address or all anonymous posts? Also, can they anonymously "reply" or just post?

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
After just catching up on a thread that had almost a full page of anonymous, useless posts making points that had already been made in the thread

Which thread is that?

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Seems to be all posts by the "Anonymous" user. I haven't seen once since I added him/it to my ignore list.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join