It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS Issues Thread

page: 311
<< 308  309  310    312  313  314 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I have tried everything I know to get into ATS Chat. I updated Java, I updated Flash, still nothing but a blank screen for months.

I think I am banned!

It is one of my life's dreams to have ATS Chat, I joined to converse with people and all I have is the posts so I pour my heart out and still there is a dull doom on the horizon! LOL

At any rate, from what it sounds like I should not go into that terrible place. You guys make it sound like a battle field. If it helps any I am gay and I will vouch that we are not offended at all. I will speak for the entire gay community since I am oldest! Go ahead and let them back in!

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

Thats bs.

As long as I have been in the chat when a mod has been in there, things went really well. No "chat" talk was stopped.
Maybe its just a personal thing when it comes to you.

But as far as I have seen, elevatedOne..projectvxn..ahabstar..have all been really good moderators in the room, and even told me a couple times to tone it down, and I did.
Its not like "Oh theres a mod in the room, everyone SH!". give me a break.

This site is supposed to be more than that. This site is supposed to be "Denying Ignorance", yet, the actions of the staff have been "Promoting ignorance".

Call me what you want, but Im telling you right now, what you guys did was wrong, and you need toown up to that like you expect members to do when they break the rules or do something stupid on this site.

You want members to police the Chat? Fine, give us a way to do it. Give each member a boot button, and when so many members agree that a person needs booting, then they will all push the button, and if the offeending member gets 5 or more boot flags, then he is out.
Problem solved.

Dont punish the entire community because of a couple of idiots.
edit on 11-10-2010 by Common Good because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
LOOK chats a free format . ATS chat is the best I know of. IL build own ats for chat . I will Yup.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by SolarE-Souljah
reply to post by Night Star

I agree that chat mods would be great. Not full on mods, but mini mods for chat that could alert full on mods if perceived problems do occur in chat...
Star for you, Night Star.

I agree this would be a good idea. I watch chat a lot, for entertainment purposes when I am doing hw
, and I have seen some convos go on and I am surprised that people even test that limit with what they discuss. Just because mods aren't there it doesn't mean they aren't looking at previous chats.

I hope they open chat back up but I can see why it's been closed right now.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
If the site wants to have a Chat room they have a simple choice, moderate it with either ATS Mods or volunteer members, or just let it run free with a huge disclaimer. You folks should already know better than this, given your case load on threads and the amount of moderation that it takes to keep people in line out there. Why on earth do you folks feel the chat room would somehow be naturally more civil when one liners are the preferred method of communication in there.. as in no thought involved?

Yes, there are a number of us here who can restrain ourselves in ATS chat, but the people who cause a ruckus in the threads will also cause a ruckus in the chat room and if there are no Mods available, then what are the rest of us plebians supposed to do about it?

I would hate for ya'll to close chat permenantly, but seriously, don't condescend and punish the entire (powerless) chat community because some people can't hold their tounge.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I have been a moderator as well as an admin on sites and I simply cannot understand why this is so difficult to understand. Offending party gets warned then booted. All innocent members continue to enjoy their chatroom. What am I missing? There are even some of us willing to mod in just chat and take a lot of pressure off of the staff.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
reply to post by Common Good

problem is, we can't be in chat all the time and, obviously, you guys need parental supervision. it's sad.

Originally posted by bluemooone2
The logs revel some tame anti gay sentiments , nothing more geeexeee this is sad.

you've read the logs?

This is my point of the past two reply's//

Admin feels we need to have a babysitter, and that is sad,

concidering they did not see actions like this occuring before the implementation of chat, and had no real successful way of dealing with it, and keeping chat evolving in a way to promote intellectualism is sad as well..

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Greensage
You guys make it sound like a battle field.

It's not from what I've experienced, it's been very civil recently. I don't know what happened, not sure if I was about at the time, I know I was afk a fair bit due to work but had I seen any antigay comments I'd have tried to stop it.

I agree that the T&C needs to be stricter for chat, it's just a shame that some people can't or wont follow it and spoil it for the rest of us. It was going so so well, even with no mods in the room, I just want to slap whoever did it with a wet fish

No mods in the room does have the problem though of what do we do when someone won't listen to the others? As we can't boot, the only options we really have is to ignore or leave chat, which doesn't really solve the problem.

Right, sleepytime for this little Phoenix, past midnight here.

- Phoenix

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
ATS Radio (Hail Neff) ATS media dont u dare to shoot yourselves in the foot ok ill be watching . And chat.; shall be a big part of this.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I agree chat should be closed for the time being...

BUT!!!

We should work together to set up guidelines and such on a new and better chat.
Some ideas already brought up:

-Volunteer Chat Mods who could keep an eye on chat,

-The ability to have a "kick" option. Offending members can be booted by their peers if there are enough votes.

This is ATS. We have many great minds at work here. I'm sure we can think of something.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by zazzafrazz

Originally posted by Bicent76
I would suggest canceling chat,

Because this is ALWAYS, going to be happening..

No such thing as chat Utopia, on the internet..

And yet I knew this day would come....where I could stand up, clear my throat, look at my old friends with tears in my eyes and proclaim

"this never happened in mutter"
Mutter was more public, less chance of shennanigans

There I said it.
eeeeeee

runs and hides

Yay! I agree. I always used mutter over chat. I don't ever remember having problems with mutter.

mutter would be nice again...I miss hellmutts random links

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   

BUT!!!

-The ability to have a "kick" option. Offending members can be booted by their peers if there are enough votes.

This is ATS. We have many great minds at work here. I'm sure we can think of something.

Good ideas but I see the kick being abused but I like the idea of chat mods. I have seen sites where they have separate mods for chat. It makes it easier on the regular mods. I know I am in chat every day and I see mods in there but sometimes there isn't but they are people too and have lives! They can't be on chat 24/7. I have always had pleasant experiences with mods in chat. If something someone said was inappropriate they were warned or kicked if they proceeded.

I think certain amount of points, higher than now, to get into chat or maybe a monthly chat fee

It will give us something to use the points on.

link   
Well, we don't seem to be getting anywhere with common sense. Hey, no crying smilie? This will have to do.

Will begging help? What? I'm desperate!
I already read all the threads I wanted to read. This is the perfect time now to go to chat, but all I see are empty halls. Ok, lighting a candle. Starts singing. This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine...can someone please turn the lights back on in chat???

link   

BUT!!!

Agreed

I would hate to see ats chat die, due to ignorance.. We are smart enough, and sincerely fixing it would not be that hard, to do. Most of us do know right from wrong.. Yet we need to fix chat first before we reopen it.. In my opinion and I am outside looking in..

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

I like that idea, and its a proactive approach to deal with the issue. But the drawback is these volunteer members will have to go through mod boot camp, not to mention admins setting up moderator powers, and setting up a special mod training outline. basically setting up a new process... which is time consuming, but can and will work in the long-run.

its the best idea i have read so far!

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

A kick option might be a bit over the top for the ATS model.

But a silence option - which would, for a time, make a member unable to enter text, might be a viable alternative. This would allow the chat community time to find a mod/admin and ask for a review of chat logs. Then a mod could make a decisive ruling about any bans or punitive measures.

~Heff

link   
Wow..this seems absurd.

Since when does ATS have that big of a problem not keeping members in line? And since when do all members lose privileges because of a few bad apples?

A good Chat room always has a moderator...You guys send out a sign up sheet to the mods, so and so signs up for this time, so and so for this time and so forth. They don't even have to be involved in the convo the whole time. Shoot...you don't even need to have a mod present if its that big of a problem...you simply have an alert button...like on the threads. A member sends an alert, one of you guys pops your head in and has a looksie. Then you check the logs. You boot the offending member. Plain. And. Simple.

Websites on a much lower level than this one takes care of problems in chat better.

How you guys are choosing to handle this is bush league. If you want us to police ourselves, give us the power, but we know that won't happen. I understand why, but don't tell us to. Even if I were to sit there and say "hey dude you better stop" "dude, you're going to get banned" "DUDE!" I would get called out on flooding.

Come on man...

link   
Chat is ATS == ATS is Chat.

What is so difficult for the seeming Few to understand. (?)

The T&C apply site-wide ...

Me?
This is one case where the Few will simply Not impede Nor hamper the altruistic efforts and desires of the Many, seeking only to advance or make known their efforts and/or desires.
*full stop*

color me stupid, but i'll be banned before i support or allow such.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Members have been banned from ATS.

Chat is restored, but with a 200 post-count requirement for entry.

If we have to go through this again, the minimum will increase 100 posts each time it happens.

This is the "ATS House" where there are expectations of civility and tolerance. Just because the chat function might be comparable to the "grill out back by the pool" is no reason to expect it should be any different than any other area of the house. I'm sick of cleaning beer cans out of the pool. We shouldn't have to constantly have a moderator presence in chat, our members should be respecting the house rules. Simple.
edit on 11-10-2010 by SkepticOverlord because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ugie1028

I have experience as a mod on other sites. I'll go to the boot camp.

<< 308  309  310    312  313  314 >>

join