It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World's largest experiment set to go off with a Big Bang

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by ShiftTrio

ShiftTrio, this is off topic, sorry in advance for that, I just wanted to compliment your avatar, is that from Family Guy?

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   
IMO it will be the single biggest mistake mankind has ever made.

"Gee we're really not sure what the consequences will be, but what the hell
throw the switch and cross your fingers."

BRILLIANT !!

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by un4gvn1

Curiosity killed the cat, well humans in this case haha. Lets hope not thou.
I am curious to the benefits of such a thing, what is the reason they are doing this, what are they hoping for? I haven't read much.

We all want answers thou....... a lot of us live for these answers.

[edit on 21-5-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Recreate what? Not how, surely. Without the random element, the rogue unpredictable - chaotic element, I can't see how scientists can re-create anything. I've never been able to make the same apple crumble twice. Nonetheless I'm experiencing that frisson assocaited with a good scare, and, if the doubters are correct, then four years fallout should bring us neatly to that fav 2012 number.
I suspect taht more likely he lift will break down. ... @@:

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
reply to post by un4gvn1

Curiosity killed the cat, well humans in this case haha. Lets hope not thou.
I am curious to the benefits of such a thing, what is the reason they are doing this, what are they hoping for? I haven't read much.

We all want answers thou....... a lot of us live for these answers.

[edit on 21-5-2008 by _Phoenix_]

To sum it up simply they have done all of this, to take a photo of what happens when atoms collide.
To find out what makes them tick to find things that happen on a microscopic level that are unknown.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 05:34 AM
link   
AS THE world's largest and most expensive science experiment, the new particle accelerator buried 100 metres beneath the Alpine foothills along the Swiss-French border is 27.3 kilometres long and up to 12 storeys high. It weighs 2 billion kilograms, and is designed to generate temperatures of more than a trillion degrees.

The Large Hadron Collider is aiming to unlock the secrets of how the universe began. Scientists will use it to try to recreate the conditions that existed just a fraction of a second after the Big Bang — the birth of the universe — by smashing pieces of atoms together at high speed.

From today, it will be completely closed off while technicians make the final preparations before it is turned on in July when, it is hoped, it will begin revealing what the matter and energy that created the universe was really like.

What happens afterwards could change our understanding of the world.

Most experts believe the explosions created when the particles hit each other will reveal the basic building blocks of everything around us. There are some, however, who fear it could destroy the planet.

A lawsuit filed last week by environmentalists in Hawaii is seeking a restraining order preventing the European Nuclear Research Centre (CERN) from switching it on for fear it could create a black hole that will suck up all life on Earth.

"We are going to see new types of matter we haven't been able to see before," said Professor Frank Close, a particle physicist at Oxford University. "The idea that it could cause the end of the world is ridiculous."

Housed in a subterranean lair that would provide a suitable home for a Hollywood super-villain, it is hardly surprising there are conspiracy theories surrounding the work being carried out on the collider.

The tunnel is large enough to drive a train through and to reach it requires a two-minute lift journey from ground level.

Atomic particles will spiral though a series of rings lined with powerful magnets that will accelerate the particles until they reach speeds close to the speed of light. Each particle will race around the 27.3-kilometre ring 11,245 times every second before being smashed headlong into each other, breaking into their component parts and releasing huge amounts of energy and debris.

The temperatures produced by these collisions will be 100,000 times hotter than the centre of the sun and scientists believe this will be powerful enough to reveal the first particles that existed in the moments immediately after the birth of the universe.

This massive experiment will create more than 15 million gigabytes of data every year — the equivalent of 21.4 million CDs. The scientists have had to design a new form of the internet to cope with the data.

Among the particles the scientists will hunt for is the Higgs boson, a cornerstone of modern physics that is thought to be responsible for giving every other particle a mass, or weight.

Immediately after the Big Bang, all particles are thought to have had no mass at all. As the temperature cooled, the Higgs boson "stuck" to them, making them heavy. Some particles are more "sticky" than others and so gain more weight.

One part of the experiment, dubbed ALICE, will recreate the superheated gas, or plasma, that existed when the universe was formed.

The collider may also reveal more exotic phenomena such as anti-matter, the opposite of ordinary matter, mini black holes and even extra dimensions.

"At the level of energy we will be creating, normal matter doesn't exist. I expect we will see some things that are entirely new and could turn our current understanding of physics on its head," said Dr David Evans, a physicist from Birmingham University, who has been working on the ALICE project. TELEGRAPH

Text

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 06:22 AM
link   
We can also look on the bright side!

If were not going to be destroyed we are going to learn so much more.
Maybe the secret of gravity and the dark matter!

If we as humans want to evolve then this station has to be passed.
If UFO's or aliens visit us they also had a time in theire development where they did these experiment.

If they don't exist than that could be because they stopped existing because of these experiments!

Nice twist to the story don't you think!

Cern admits it could create micro black holes but they believe they will decay/dissolve based on the Hawkins Radiation But what if Hawkins is wrong he already changed his views on black holes ones!

Chears

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   
If we all die, it least it's all of us, so who cares. No loved ones left behind. Just all dead. Big deal.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I don't see what the fuss is about this has got to be the safest experment conducted EVER!

On 27 March 2007 a cryogenic magnet support broke during a pressure test involving one of the LHC's inner triplet (focusing quadrupole) magnet assemblies, provided by Fermilab and KEK. No one was injured. Fermilab director Pier Oddone stated "In this case we are dumbfounded that we missed some very simple balance of forces". This fault had been present in the original design, and remained during four engineering reviews over the following years.[40] Analysis revealed that its design, made as thin as possible for better insulation, was not strong enough to withstand the forces generated during pressure testing. Details are available in a statement from Fermilab, with which CERN is in agreement

WIKI LHC

In this case we are dumbfounded that we missed some very simple balance of forces". This fault had been present in the original design, and remained during four engineering reviews over the following years

Can you say oopsy lets hope something like this does not cause some chain reaction some how some way. I mean if they over looked this what els have they over looked?

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   
These experiments are very important indeed. They may be able to prove there are more dementions. Im sure they did enough homework and feel safe that the end of the world wont result from it. I am very excited about the whole project.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Ladies and Gentlemen, there is more chance of my humble self, infinite, being declared President of the European Union (a position that currently does not exist) tomorrow than the world ending.

I'm not being facetious - merely stating the obvious. However, if I am somehow wrong, I'll be plaintive now in advance

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I have been trying to find the results of this experiment. There is nothing on the CERN site. I take it, we will be fine, seeing how the world is still here. Unless we all are now trapped in space time loop, never to be released.

Edit: Sorry I thought today was the 10th. SO I guess we will find out tomorrow.

[edit on 9/9/08 by Dr Pepper]

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
4 large earthquakes all above 6 in chile/indonesea/iran/japan when the "children" turn the collider on at low power just zipping protons around for a trip near the speed of light in the clockwise direction.
next experiment is in the opposite direction--when i don't know.
after that i assume it will be 2 beams of protons in opposite directions without a head on collision.
these tests are at low power until they gain the courage/foolishness to up the power into head on collision status next year at "fool" power.
i would recommend we all keep track of the "scientists" tests in relation to the earthquakes etc. that happen at the near same time for an education into what they are bringing upon us.
as 1 scientist said:far back in distant time an enormous amount of energy was released and converted into matter space and time.
there is now a possibility to see into other dimensions.
this present dimension is not perfect but please do not make it worse---make sure you make it better if you have to experiment----me speaking.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Can't they do this in space, where black holes belong? Shoot they're already spending so much, what's a few billion more gonna hurt?

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join