It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Absolute Ad Reshapes US/Mexico Map & Borders

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Absolute Ad Reshapes US/Mexico Map & Borders

lauramartinez.wordpress.com

In a perfect world, our loved ones wouldn’t die leaving us terribly saddened and alone. But in an “Absolut World,” wonderful things can happen, including getting the U.S.-Mexico border straight once and for all.

(This print ad was taken from the current issue of Quién magazine, in Mexico City.)
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   
This is from an absolute ad in Mexico, appearing in the current (2008) issue of Quién magazine showing the US drastically 'resized' and Mexico reclaiming those lands.

California, Washington, Nevada, Arizona, Texas, Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, New Mexico and portions of Idaho are appearing to be under MX ownership in the ad.

img204.imageshack.us...

lauramartinez.wordpress.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
In fairness, the cartographers were probably wasted out of their minds while drawing this map!

Price of Absolut : £18

Drunken Map Drawing: Priceless

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Well I don't drink vodka but if I did it wouldn't be that brand. do any of you know if they make anything else? So I can not buy it!

Roper

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
The reason as to why a Swedish company would give a crap about an old (I'm assuming "old") U.S./Mexico border is perplexing. What's the point?

Peace

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
The purpose of advertisements is to draw potential consumers' attention to the product.

Which the ad has done.

And in the process, it's probably hoped it will draw a lot more Mexican consumers' dollars into the Absolut cash-registers.

Not that the US government has done anything to dissuade Absolut or Mexicans from believing that's a map of the not too distant future.

I guess the next Absolut advertisement might show the US pushed up through Canada.

Then, maybe in five or ten years, an Absolut ad might show Mexico, Canada and the US as one 'nation'. Which will be nice for Dubya, if he's still alive, because he's had problems in the past, differentiating between the three.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   
well we did kill them and steal their land, I would be pissed off for a long time to.

Just sayin

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Obviously the 'joke' inherent in the Ad has been lost on some people

(Were they to run something similar in the US I guess it'd show Canada, Mexico and probably Europe as all being part of the USA .... )

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Essan

Fair enough, but why would that make me want to buy Swedish vodka?

The humor and marketing angle was definitely lost on me.

Peace

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Yeah it's a joke, to get Mexicans talking about (& buying) Absolut.

Those are basically Mexico's borders before the Mexican American War though...

To be fair, the Mexican American War largely resulted from Mexico claiming territories it did not in fact have any real control over.

The people in Texas rebelled - and it wasn't just the Anglos that wanted independence from Mexico.

Portraying it as "big bad evil America vs. the innocent Mexicans" is simply historically inaccurate. It was much more complicated than that, with Mexico in a state of near civil war (Mexican Army units were as likely to battle eachother as the Americans), the US bitterly politically divided, and Anglos and Mexicans volunteering to fight for both sides.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

That's a good question. I suppose it's intended to draw your attention, make you think and remember the brand. Though frankly it rarely if ever works for me. I don't really understand advertising .... Mindyou, I didn;t known Absolut was a Swedish brand before. But as I don;t drink vodka I guess it makes no difference.

btw this thread could, I suppose, be construed as advertising a brand of alcohol .... it's hardly 'breaking alternative news' (no disrespect intended to OP btw)

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

Because it's inferred that Swedish people "get it" unlike Mexicos gringo neighbors to the north. I have visions of the smashing of Absolute vodka bottles. I remember people smashing Stoli bottles when USSR invaded sweet peaceful uncorrupt Afganistan.

[edit on 3-4-2008 by stikkinikki]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Dumb.

I guess in a perfect world, I will not buy any Absolut products.

In my real world, I'm planning on celebrating May 5th by putting and old bathroom sink and a jar of Hellman's in my front yard.

Get it? Sink-o de Mayo (as in Hellman's mayonnaise).

Hey Mexico and Sweden, it's just a joke.

Fools ...

[edit on 4/3/2008 by centurion1211]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Dumb.

I guess in a perfect world, I will not buy any Absolut products.

In my real world, I'm planning on celebrating May 5th by putting and old bathroom sink and a jar of Hellman's in my front yard.

Get it? Sink-o de Mayo (as in Hellman's mayonnaise).

Hey Mexico and Sweden, it's just a joke.

Fools ...

[edit on 4/3/2008 by centurion1211]

hahahahahahahahaha dude that is probably one of the wittiest things i have read all day, star to you

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Here is an interesting map sort of showing the areas the Absolute ad shows.
The western areas I believe were also territories of (at the time) Great Britain and Mexico.

img172.imageshack.us...

[edit on 3-4-2008 by battlestargalactica]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by battlestargalactica

But looking at your picture our tail feathers had to grow sometime. I don't like the vodka advertisement either. I think its fanning the flames for a mayday protest that could get ugly if they push it to far. Resessions have the effect of giving people additudes.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Much better map animation showing our morphed border history.

The last one is the Gadsden Purchase I believe...

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   

But the land didn't belong to mexico. It belonged to the indians who said the land belongs to no one it is for every one as long as they treat the land with respect. Apachee were fighting with the mexicans in the south west befor the white eyed ever got there saying they did not belong. And when we speak of mexican aren't we really speaking of the spainards who did there own massacre in south america. the english raid the area of the US and the french and british fought over the land in canada. I know the english even tried to fight the french for parts of canada. I think the aztech from south america were probly closer to the indians then anybody. and they were slaughtered just like the indians.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Yes Spain originally controlled Mexico, then in 1824 (?) Mexico gained independence (not sure on that year). My history is fuzzy

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Found this on wikipedia. So 1519 they were all slaughtered and then there was a rebelion in 1810 where Mexico was formed. Much like the United States the English raid ed and took over and then a rebelion and the US was formed. Just cause we rebeled from the english doesn't mean we changed into American Indians.

en.wikipedia.org...

In 1519, the native civilizations of Mesoamerica were invaded by Spain;[17] among them the Aztecs, Mayans, Olmecs, etc. This was one of the most important conquest campaigns in America. Two years later, in 1521, the Aztec capital of Tenochtitlan was conquered by the Spaniards along with the Tlaxcaltecs, the main enemies of the Aztecs, marking end to the Aztec Empire and giving rise to the Viceroyalty of New Spain in 1535, it became the first and largest provider of resources for the Spanish Empire, and the most populated of all Spanish colonies.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join