It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dog Food (walmart, store brands)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Ive been wondering for a while now about the food that I feed my dog. Pedigree, Purina, Ol Roy, Iams, Eukanuba, Kibbles n Bits..and much more have all been on the recall list, dry and wet. What do you all feed your dogs? Should I trash my Pedigree? I've read Pedigree causes kidney failure..but thats 1 person. Could there be a pattern in the recalls? anything strange? other thoughts? Also goes for cat food.

from what ive been reading those brands of food should be banned.

Thnx

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Ramb0

My dog eats mostly the Brand-X Wal-Mart stuff (Ol' Roy), and he's extremely healthy. I take most of the health claims you see on the commercials with a grain of salt.

Not sure how this is a current event, though.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Once upon a time....Due to Tragic mistake i ate dog food. Kind of tasty, would never guess. And still alive. However for a month i waited for the worst to happen.
The problem is that the ingredients are less monitored and toxins can find the way to the food much more easily. But if i had a dog, i would rather to feed it what we eat. It might be not totally proper diet and stuff, but i do not recall specialized dog foods in the stone age. Or any age,except the money one.
I believe that there is enough information about what should a dog diet be,so adjusting what we eat,not totally alienating what dog eats makes more sense/less money
. And finally dog and owners will get the same poisons (conservants/pesticides/....).

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
sorry, ats is crammed with many categories, so i thought this was the best place since there has been many pet recalls.

if a mod can kindly move this to the correct place.

thanks for your input guys.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroKnowledge

how much did you eat?

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Ramb0

I feed my dogs a combination of foods. I boil chicken leg quarters for them and mix with some dry food, which for the most part is the Wal Mart brand.

I do have to say that the closest town I live near has a dog food processing plant in it. Repulsive does not even come close to describing the odor from this place when you happen to be downwind of it. It makes me wonder exactly what they are putting into the stuff!

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I feed my dogs Ol'Roy high performance formula, ol'roy dog buscuits and occasionally the ol'roy canned food and luckily, none of them have been on those recall lists yet and my dogs seem to be very healthy.

The one problem I have with most dog foods is that they make them with mainly corn or rice. Dogs are meat eaters. So just make sure that the first ingredient on your dogs food bag is meat.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   
If you did a google search on "South Africa dog food warning" then you'll get a picture of what is in SOME brands of dog food. it's been a big thing outthere at the mo,only a matter of time before the rest of the world wakes up.

A good thing for your dogs,is liver and rice and chicken. Stuff like that. It's pretty much cheeper than tinned dog food,and way healthier. it just takes a little preperation time. basicly,cook up a batch of liver,or chicken,and mush it up with the cooked rice. Whack some garlic in (very good for dogs,and they love it) And you can do big batches of it,and freeze it in portions. (it will make them fart like never before though)

i urge dog owners to follow this method. it only takes a little time,and it's so much better for your little friends. ( i have 2 dogs,both on a mixture of these cooked meals,and some tinned stuff)

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   
i feed iams with garlic powder sprinkled on top

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
At the moment I have four dogs that share my home with me. These are small animals. The smallest being 3 pounds and the largest being 12 pounds. They are all full grown.

I avoid dog food with a lot of fillers such as corn. Not only are fillers not nutritious they create more waste.

More fillers = more poop
less fillers = less poop

My dogs eat what I eat with dry dog food mixed. They love fruit, salad fixings, and veggies. I found out last night that they even like raisenets.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge
But if i had a dog, i would rather to feed it what we eat. It might be not totally proper diet and stuff, but i do not recall specialized dog foods in the stone age. Or any age,except the money one.

Exactly. It sometimes amazes me that people are so founded in our present time that they hardly consider that things were different just a hundred years or so ago.

Dogs are similar to people in that they can eat almost anything they find tasty.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   
My mother-in-law has a beautiful golden retriever, a very healthy dog and not overweight or anything. She has never bought a bag of dry dog food or any of the tinned stuff.

She cooks every meal for the dog twice a day, a smaller portion in the morning and a second larger meal early in the evening, no snacks in between. It's mostly chicken, pork, or beef, but sometimes she buys organ meats like chicken livers, beef kidney and liver, even cows tongue. The meat is usually mixed with some rice and whatever veggies that are in the house.

This dog has done very well on this diet for years and it's only health problem was an intestinal blockage after it ate a sock a couple years ago.

One thing she insists on is that the dog's meals have very little salt in it, not sure why though, as far as I know salt is not harmful to dogs and I'm sure they do need some of it in their diet like anything else.

EDIT: One treat the dog does get is a bowl of ice cream once or twice a week. It loves the stuff, any flavor, but she doesn't allow chocolate.

[edit on 1/4/2008 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Raisins, Garlic, Onions, Macadamia nuts and Chocolate all extremely DANGEROUS AND TOXIC TO DOGS.

new topics

top topics

join