It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush wants the Internet...and YOU!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2002 @ 03:17 PM
link   
"The Bush administration is planning to propose requiring Internet service providers to help build a centralized system to enable broad monitoring of the Internet and, potentially, surveillance of its users."

"While the proposal is meant to gauge the overall state of the worldwide network, some officials of Internet companies who have been briefed on the proposal say they worry that such a system could be used to cross the indistinct border between broad monitoring and wiretap."

"Part of monitoring the Internet and doing real-time analysis is to be able to track incidents while they are occurring," the official said.
The official compared the system to Carnivore, the Internet wiretap system used by the F.B.I., saying: "Am I analogizing this to Carnivore? Absolutely. But in fact, it's 10 times worse. Carnivore was working on much smaller feeds and could not scale. This is looking at the whole Internet."

www.nytimes.com...

So, I wanted to take this chance to wish you all good luck and best wishes....I'll send post cards from Re-education Camp!

posted on Dec, 20 2002 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Can you say pipe-dream?

Yes folks, a real live occurance of politicians unable to understand technology.

posted on Dec, 20 2002 @ 03:31 PM
link   
William's right... them and what 27,000 supercomputers?

Oh, heck... if they think they'll do it, hunt up the nearest agency and get yourself a job there!

What a dream job for slackers! You know where and what they're monitoring and they won't be monitoring you. Get paid for having fun!

posted on Dec, 20 2002 @ 04:30 PM
link   
They always are ( politicians) behind the curve when it comes to tech.....I think that's a given to most people.
It's the way things will shake out in application; more of a wire tap analogy to a specific individual passed off as good Intel caught in a broad net.
Yes, it's the same no-way-in-hell-will-it-do-what-they're-selling scenario as missle defense hitting the bullet with a bullet.

posted on Dec, 20 2002 @ 05:36 PM
link   
ok now first off this article is from the NY Times. in my experience don't believe every thing you read in this liberal rag. their priorities seem to be, in this order.

1. bash, lie about, and make republicans look bad.

2. report news that advances the democrat agenda.

3. report all the rest of the news if it fits on page 16.

posted on Dec, 21 2002 @ 03:07 PM
link   
William said it very well! The internet is almost a lawless society. It truly is of, by and for the people. Our government capturing any sort of control over it at this point is rather like trying to capture an alligator with a butterfly net.

posted on Dec, 21 2002 @ 04:53 PM
link   
While you may think otherwise, it is certainly going to happen. It will become the Big Brother of the furture.
Think of it, a way for the goverment to come right into your homes without your knowledge and gain insite to how and what you do on a daily basis. How could they pass up such an oppertunity.

posted on Dec, 22 2002 @ 05:47 PM
link   
The same way you passed by the dictionary!

Sorry, 4 misspelled words in such a short post was more than this smart-butt could let pass!

The notion of monitoring the internet is mindboggling. The very idea of our government pulling that off is hilarious!!

posted on Dec, 22 2002 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Well, boy am I in trouble
My wife is going to have my
removed. LOL, O-well, maybe I just get a "job" looking at what your looking at

top topics

join