It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would Society be like without fear?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Think about it.
Although fear can be a dangerous tool, it is used to maintain composure in society. Hitler, who is probably the most well known dictator in history, used fear as a tool in a very negative way, not much explanation needed, I think you all know the story. Fear was used to control Germany during WW2 so that Hitler could get his way. He used it to help give a reason for his genocidal attempts of eliminating the Jews, gypsies, homosexuals, and others that he labeled to be unpure.

So obviously, it can be a bad thing. But it can be, in my opinion, a good thing as well, as it is used through laws and punishments. What would society be like without it? People would be running wild. There would be no reason to obey laws if people weren't scared of what could happen to them.

Obviously, I don't think that fear should be used in radical ways, but only as an 'item' to use to keep people relatively under control. Am I alone in my thoughts, or do you others agree with me? Tell me what you think.

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by wisefoolishness

"What would society be like without fear?"

There would be no such thing as society. Society implies decorum, obligation and structure - fear does not.

Whether or not traditional forms of punishment are practiced or simply ostrasization or banishment, fear drives society.

Without fear, no "society" exists.

[edit on 24/2/08 by kosmicjack]

[edit on 24/2/08 by kosmicjack]

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

You are basically saying that without fear nobody would be motivated to uphold anymore structure.

Disagreed. I will wash the dishes in my kitchen without the fear of punishment, simply because I enjoy the rewards of a clean kitchen.

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

And this is why we continue down the Path of Fear, because people like you, Saying Society cannot exist without fear, pure rubbish . You will see in the years to come, you will be wrong.

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by darcon

"And this is why we continue down the Path of Fear, because people like you"

Ironic. I mean, coming from someone who is putting people in categories. Isn't that how most societal hierarchies begin? Nice.

I'm just reporting my observations. Don't hate the player, hate game.

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Indeed, the game is the game.

There is only two Categories my Friend.

Love and Fear

It is obvious which one you have chosen.

As your motto states,

Work, Buy, Consume, and Die

[edit on 24-2-2008 by darcon]

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

I'm speaking in general terms of societal structure, in the most primative form. Neighborly associations, communal associations, regional associations. They all exist as a means of safety in numbers, a protection against unknown threats.

Make no mistake, the nice, polite and convenient form of society that we know today - if you can even use any of those adjectives - is born of the most ancient and basic of needs. Protection. Protection is a need derived from fear. Without fear, no society.

IMO. Mind you. This is a discussion forum. I am open to being persuaded otherwise. Without the dog-piling and flames, of course.

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by darcon
There is only two Categories my Friend.

Love and Fear
It is obvious which one you have chosen.
As your motto states,
Work, Buy, Consume, and Die

And exactly which position are you coming from?

My motto? More like a warning against material happiness, so shallow and so fleeting.

Now, please let go of your anger and focus on the OP.

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I have no anger. Only love. But i respect you for putting out a warning for material Happiness.

You are right, let's get back to the topic at hand.

A world without fear, is a world without wars, Poverty, Genocide, Bigotry, and Negativity. It would be a world of love and peace.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 12:57 AM
link   
I'm with Darcon on this one. A world based on fear? Well look around and tell me if it's workin' out?

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Without fear you will have people breaking all the laws, and do whatever they feel like because the consequences will not effect them.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 01:34 AM
link   
A wise man once said, "property is theft". If we reject dominance and learn to love one another, it may be possible to live in a totally free society. Deny fear, deny government, deny domination.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Equinox99
Without fear you will have people breaking all the laws, and do whatever they feel like because the consequences will not effect them.

Yes but in a fearless society you have people willing to pursue those lawbreakers. I imagine it as a bold, hard-assed, society of hardworking people. for every lawbreaker you will have another person just as violent and just as ambitious fighting on the other side of the spectrum.

A society without fear can work, but i can only imagine it to be a society based on principle (rather than laws) and reward (rather than punishment). Eventually after such a transition the lawbreaking chaos would subside, and peaceful practices would be the norm (unless the community was utterly mad with social issues).

If society today just completely switched and the inhabitants went fearless, and lawlessness pursued. The problem would ultimately solve itself. Important structures like power, food industry out of operation eventually people would die out leaving a handful of survivors. no matter what group, clan, came on top it's unlikely that they would fight amoung themselves. solving the problem of lawlessness.

I think its possible to have a society without fear, it's just to much of a lifestyle change for some.

[edit on 25/2/08 by Obsurion]

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
I'm speaking in general terms of societal structure, in the most primative form. Neighborly associations, communal associations, regional associations. They all exist as a means of safety in numbers, a protection against unknown threats.

Make no mistake, the nice, polite and convenient form of society that we know today - if you can even use any of those adjectives - is born of the most ancient and basic of needs. Protection. Protection is a need derived from fear. Without fear, no society.

Yeah no doubt thats what it used to be and where it comes from.

But in your first post you said there is no such thing as a structured society without fear.

And I say: We just dont know that kind of society yet.

The fearless society will be as structured, orderly and harmonious as the galaxy.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Disagreed. I will wash the dishes in my kitchen without the fear of punishment, simply because I enjoy the rewards of a clean kitchen.

I have to say I wholeheartedly agree with you Sky. Motivation by fear is a negative way to look at life.

But the OP would say you fear a dirty kitchen, because you fear germs, you fear the running out of clean dishes, you fear your spouse being upset, or you fear somebody coming by for a visit & seeing what a slob you are etc.

There are some who teach by reward and others who teach by punishment. It is a choice between good & evil.

Shall we teach kids if they don't do the dishes they get spanked, so they can live in fear and cower. (evil) Or shall we teach them when they do the dishes right & on time they are rewarded with perhaps a hug or something positive. (good)

Do you drive well because you love life all those around you or you fear to end it abruptly?

I believe we can be motivated better by Good, love, righteous behavior and all its rewards. Evil can only exists where there is fear therefore a society motivated based on fear only promotes evil.

Good athletes are good because they think about hitting the ball, the ones that fear missing the ball don't make it very far because they're playing on negative thoughts which leads to bad play.

Those who promote fear - promote evil. Ask yourself are you bring good into the world or evil?

[edit on 25-2-2008 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Isn't one of the downsides of a thriving society, a society that evolves and achieves technological break-through that we start taking easy graticification for granted?
We stop enjoying working hard to get the simple things like doing the dishes... mowing the lawn, etc. etc. Another example would be doing the job of spending time with ones kids or younger siblings...
think about the reward being their happiness and joy and you knowing that what they may have learned that day on that playground might stick with them for the rest of their life - and then see if you yourself are smiling, I bet you are

For a long time now, there has been some kind of achievement race going on. Not only amongst governments creating whatever race they wanna call this and that one. But also a race amongst fellow man. We see the "beautiful rich people" on tv splashing out on a new big house or driving a fancy car and we go "aw, I want that" because the way it's being portrayed in the tv makes us believe that that is true happiness.
Think about it... tv is a salesperson just like any other, it has to make money through viewer ratings, and they are not gonna get that with a program that sells pain and suffering.

First thing we have to do is cast away that fear for the world. I'm not asking you to be indifferent to what is going on. Just don't wallow in it

Once you start recognising that there's no need to be affraid, that no God or government is going to make things better for you, then you take away unnecessary parts of the equation. Once you have no fear, governments or world orders don't have anything to control you with.

After that we have to start asking ourselves NOT "how much do I need to make me happy?" BUT "how little do I have to do to make me happy for what I've got?"
It could be as little as growing an apple tree in your garden, raising a dog right, finally sorting out that mess that makes up your garage.
It takes SO little... but be aware, that the reward does not come in the form of someone else saying "wow you're cool", it comes from you saying to yourself "I did it! It took some time... but I did it!". And then remember that other people might not think of that as an achievement, but hey, that goes both ways. Just be happy for someone being happy
Don't mock the things that give them a better day. But don't praise them either... praising is for small kids.

The next thing you can do then is stopping appraising people who drive in Ferrarris or own a multimillion dollar house. Be happy for them that they are happy when they present it to you, but don't praise them... they don't have more than you.
What good is a Ferrarri when you lie in your deathbed? You can't take it with you, nor the vast amount of money that you may have gathered. You can only depart this place with the knowledge that even though someone tried to break my back, I was able to stand tall and smile, and while doing that... I had the strength to treat other people right. Equally...

That to me, could be the reward of not living in fear.

[edit on 25/2/08 by flice]

[edit on 25/2/08 by flice]

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shar_Chi
I'm with Darcon on this one. A world based on fear? Well look around and tell me if it's workin' out?

no, its not necassarily working out. but i think it would be so much worse if there was no fear.

for us to live in a society without fear, we would have to go all the way back to the beginning of man, and take the fear away at that point. you cant just take the fear out of society now and expect it to work, because people wouldnt know how to act.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
IMHO it would suck. Fear, love, hate, passion, and the rest of our "feelings" make us who we are, and make up the human experience. The trick is learning to control your emotions. If you do it right you can turn on/off fear or love like a light switch.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   
you cant just take the fear out of society now and expect it to work, because people wouldnt know how to act.

Exactly, people wouldn't know what to do. But their will be things guiding us through this process.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   
We would be non existant in my opinion.

I can only say fear is something we need to improve ourselves without it we would not get stronger.

Im afraid of some thing's but i hope and beleive actually i will get over them.

If i did not fear these thing's i would be a different type of thing who know's what i would be ?

I would be weaker i would think less than i do now.

Fear build's character you just need to get over it at some point.

If i was not afraid to drown i would breath the water in and i would die. If i was i would hold my breath and live.

Take care.

Regards
Lee

[edit on 25-2-2008 by h3akalee]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join