It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most Americans Believe In Creation

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Even if all the scientists in America believe evolution, that is still the minority of Americans. You could call Americans ignorant because of this but it doesn't really matter because the 'ignorant' people are still the majority.

The premise of this original post is the most ridiculous thing that I have heard in quite a while. For it implies that the teachings of science should succumb to the democratic wishes of Americans??

[edit on 27-1-2008 by whatsup]

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by ppkjjkpp

Most Americans believe in creationism because most Americans are stupid. Darwin was on the right track, but bombed because he didn't know about DNA (human DNA is remarkably similar to that in chimpanzees and gorillas, our closest relatives).

There are actually two versions of creation - Genesis Chapter 1 and Genesis Chapter 2. Genesis itself is based on Sumerian religion, some 6,000 years ago, in present-day Iraq. So much for the Bible being divinely inspired - which it isn't.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I thought I might bring this up, as it, in my opinion is the only reason that the idea of religion should be an open thought. We must consider the following:

As humanity has evolved throughout history, we see a profound development in language. When this language is broken down as we regress back through history, we see different interpretations of the same thing...

...this is the belief or thought that there is something greater than us. This thought is present in every culture, through every era of man.

At one time, human nature was split in two, an executive part called a god, and a follower part called a man.
Neither part was Consciously aware.[1]

en.wikipedia.org...(psychology)

The question then becomes, where does this thought come from? Even if this belief was evolved, how did it evolve in all of humanity throughout the entirety of human civilization?

So, it is very difficult to determine whether God created man in his image, or man created God in his.

I do not know what to think of this, but I also know that religion is not testable. Religion is not logical. Religion is not open to revision. Religious beliefs are not repeatable.

If God came from the bicameral mind, then Valium is the anti-christ.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Allow me to further state:

Just because I do not know every answer, as applied to bicameralism, does not mean that I am making an assumption.

"There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"
-Richard Dawkins

I am as open to God as I am open to Dawkins' fairies.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ppkjjkpp

Originally posted by melatonin

Creation means there is a God and evolution means there is no God. This is clearly shown in textbooks and evolution literature. Most americans believe in God and therefore creation, by any means.

This is why letting people like you vote on science would be a joke idea. As bad as letting people vote on the diagnosis of cancer.

Evolution doesn't rule out god. It just appears to rule out what you think god did.

Evolution doesn't rule out God? Show me a textbook that even mentions the possiblity of God.
See this is the lie evolutionists are feeding Christians. It doesn't include God at all. The textbooks say, In the beginning there was nothing.

[edit on 24-1-2008 by ppkjjkpp]

I can tell you that for me evolution does not rule out god. I believe in god. I also believe in evoultion. Is it possible that evolution is a part of gods plan for creation? Is it possible that evolution and creationism are one and the same? Im sure there will be people who will think its not possible. But it makes since to me. Just something to meditate and ponder over.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Clearskies

I'm in the here and now. Join me.

I forgot to add in my earlier posts that I'm proud to be in that slice of the pie that knows "creation theory" is a lot of horse excrement.

I salute my fellow, logical Americans, and all the Europeans who've had to learn all this the hard way.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Get a grip dude... Christians "DO try to Force their religion on other people"!!!!

I have been working with a family member as a favor for the last few weeks, doing some Dry-Walling on the local Church. Every time I go into that place there are dozens of Fanatics, trying to "MAKE", me become a cristian or "BURN IN HELL"...

I say I'm Agnostic, & I get the Whole lecture & they won't stop even if I tell them to shut the hell up!!

[snip]

[edit on 1/28/2008 by Ironclad]

mod edit: Mod Note: General ATS Discussion Etiquette – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 28-1-2008 by GAOTU789]

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ironclad
Religious people are all fanatics, weather it's christians, Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Scientologists, Mormons, or any other of the thousands of religions.

Dude, this is called prejudice. To go about saying 'all people are this and that' is the definition of prejudice.

You don't know 'all' religious people. I know plenty who refuse to speak about their beliefs to others out of politeness. Care to call them extremists?

In any case, I've seen plenty of your posts. Your just another hit-man against religious people in general. I find it sad that so many members think attacking religion and religious people is somehow progressive... it's not. It's called prejudice.

Nobody here is saying 'all atheists are [snip] etc.' But if you look at the rabid anti-religious hate speech on ATS it's almost laughable.

Nobody is forcing you to acknowledge creationism, I have already stated that plenty of Christians believe evolution, I myself believe it is a divine process. What do you have to say to that?

mod edit:Mod Note: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anatomic Bomb
Many people are too frightened to admit they're either atheists or agnostics because they're immediately attacked by so-called Christians.

Oh boohoo
You have to be kidding me. Atheists call for the death of religion and religious people on a regular basis.

I have yet to see atheists attacked ONCE, online, or otherwise. You people are full of it
Victimization does not flatter you.

I seem to remember a time when Christians were rounded up and executed in short order. I also remember when the Vatican declared 'holy war' on Muslims etc. Both Christian and Non-Christian enterprises have been historically involved in murdering one another...

Today, it is nothing like that. Stop exagerating your lil war on religion and realize you are just a bunch of abrasive blow-hards.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   

The Bible doesn't say to kill people, so I don't know what Christians you are talking about.
computer.

[snip] have you even read the bible?

mod edit: Mod Note: General ATS Discussion Etiquette – Please Review This Link.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by cheeser

You're thinking about the old testament, when God had a kingdom on Earth , JERUSALEM.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Let's stick to the topic at hand please, which is this

The discussion isn't about each other, it's about Most Americans believing in Creatonism.

And remember.... Courtesy is Mandatory.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by NewWorldOver
Oh boohoo
You have to be kidding me. Atheists call for the death of religion and religious people on a regular basis.

the former, yes... but i can't think of atheists calling for the death of religious people

I have yet to see atheists attacked ONCE, online, or otherwise. You people are full of it
Victimization does not flatter you.

really?
i can give you one from CNN
richarddawkins.net...

the panel discussion on atheists had... NOT A SINGLE ATHEIST

I seem to remember a time when Christians were rounded up and executed in short order. I also remember when the Vatican declared 'holy war' on Muslims etc. Both Christian and Non-Christian enterprises have been historically involved in murdering one another...

and i seem to remember a time when atheists were ostracized for their lack of belief by the general public...
oh, that's right now
if you want to go back and remember a time... remember the inquisition?
oh, and both christians and muslims have been murdering atheists, historically

Today, it is nothing like that. Stop exagerating your lil war on religion and realize you are just a bunch of abrasive blow-hards.

wow, so much for etiquette
we aren't exaggerating here. there is a massive bias and your statement right there is a clear confirmation of it.

anyway, back on topic...
so what if most americans believe the wrong thing? they're still wrong

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Do you also remember a time when people where killed just for not believing the Earth was at the centre of the universe? For long you say? 1400 year, that's like 1/5th of the Earth's life (6000 years).

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by cinderella301

Most Americans believe in creationism because most Americans are stupid. Darwin was on the right track, but bombed because he didn't know about DNA (human DNA is remarkably similar to that in chimpanzees and gorillas, our closest relatives).

There are actually two versions of creation - Genesis Chapter 1 and Genesis Chapter 2. Genesis itself is based on Sumerian religion, some 6,000 years ago, in present-day Iraq. So much for the Bible being divinely inspired - which it isn't.

Talk about 'hitting the proverbial nail on the head'!
I love it! Of course, you are 100% correct about Darwinism & Genesis. It's just too bad people who do not really understand anything about science, nature, or this planet, enjoy the sounds of their own voices so much.

J.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by AncientVoid

Do you also remember a time when people where killed just for not believing the Earth was at the centre of the universe? For long you say? 1400 year, that's like 1/5th of the Earth's life (6000 years).

The Eaarth is around 1.4 BILLION years old! So 1400 years could not possibly be '1/5 the earth's life' as you mention. 1400 years is like a nano-second in geological terms...

J.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

and i seem to remember a time when atheists were ostracized for their lack of belief by the general public...
oh, that's right now

See, that's called self-victimization. It's not healthy.

Nobody is out attacking atheists or sneering at them for speaking their belief (or lack of). It's the same situation with religious people, when atheists overstep their boundary by MOCKING others, declaring that they are fools, that they should subscribe to certain views of reality etc... that's when a member ostracizes themself. Both religious nuts AND atheists do this.

Although, I think we're straying into 'abovereligion.com' territory with this subject. The atheist and religious 'battle' is a big topic... I am rooting for neither side, I think atheists should ignore religion and the religious should keep their beliefs to themself.

Either way, I have noticed atheists mocking and insulting people for their beliefs the majority of the time... and then turn around and say they are the victims.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by AncientVoid

What does the modern Christian have to do with that? Seriously.

You atheists are itching for a fight against Christians when it's the VATICAN that was responsible for ALL of that anti-scientific nonsense.

When it comes to atheists and the anti-religious, I just want to shake them and say "KNOW YOUR ENEMY." It is not 'religion' or religious people who oppress the world, it's religious institutions. There is a serious difference.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Synthetic Life

One goal is to engineer genomes that can take CO2 out of the air.

Now suppose you're an "outsider". Will you say that this is "evolution" and the response of the organism to the higher levels of CO2 in the atmosphere? Can we really see the difference between evolution versus "creation" by an advanced species?

I think in the beginning it was called evolution because nobody at that time could even comprehend creating & designing life, manipulating DNA, etc. To put that on the table as a possible reason would be crazy!

Today, the story is much different and we are just beginning the "biological revolution" that is to come in the 21st century.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   

See, that's called self-victimization. It's not healthy.

that's called ignoring an actual problem, it betrays bigotry.

Nobody is out attacking atheists or sneering at them for speaking their belief (or lack of).

didn't i just show you an example of a major media outlet attacking atheists... ?

It's the same situation with religious people, when atheists overstep their boundary by MOCKING others, declaring that they are fools, that they should subscribe to certain views of reality etc...

which side is calling which fools?

the fool hath said in his heart "there is no god"

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join