It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid 2007 TU24 has NASA concerned.

page: 69
<< 66  67  68    70  71  72 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Zorgon has it right about mines. Ground shakes, people die. Not much anyone "joe or josephine public" can really do... a really big one? It won't matter.

Underground? Maybe in the Canadian Shield. He-heh. Fingers-crossed.

Vic

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Apparently underground is the rule of thumb for this topic,

More Important Topics: Last 7 Days

Top 100 UFO Cases - Revealed!
flags: 65, replies: 57
IsaacKoi on January 21

World Markets Plunge - DJIA Futures Down Nearly 500 Points
flags: 42, replies: 387
JacKatMtn on January 21

Who likes to edit wikipedia's coke plane pages??
flags: 41, replies: 19
shizzle5150 on January 21

OUTBREAK: 2000+ Have Fever In Bird Flu Hot Spot
flags: 40, replies: 59
AllSeeingI on January 23

Life on Mars? Amazing photos from NASA probe reveal image of mystery figure on Red Planet
flags: 36, replies: 205
Enceladus on January 22

Phoenix Lights Wiki Edited By Army National Guard Bureau
flags: 32, replies: 22
Dulcimer on January 22

Dulcimer’s topic along with the rest are no less important obviously, and while this thread has run its course, its still within the last seven days, with over 116 flags and 1356 replies. (-too many of them mine admittedly).

Why bury a popular story that ‘is’ going to happen one way or the other on the ATS back page? Sales prevention or Conspiracy, DA-DAH-DUN!!

[edit on 27-1-2008 by scrapple]

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by broli

1. No need to be irritable with me, I'm not the one who peed in your Cheerios this morning.
2. I know how the government works, I dealt with it for enough years. Anyone with half a brain knows how they work.

I'm sorry that I don't think in the same way you do. You are actually the second person who felt the need to tell me what I should do, even though I am an adult and have my own ideas. For the past few pages have you seen me acting like a Chicken Little? Go back and take a gander. I am not one of the people who is saying it is going to hit the Earth and wipe it out.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   
relax people nothings going to happen i promise,theyre just trying to distract you.

thats how they work,distraction,conjury and illusion!

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

lol not that we would be allowed to have armadas of submarines of our very only.

I think maybe anyone who could afford about $845K: www.subeo.com...
Of course, you'd have to figure out details like food, water, and power

[edit on 27-1-2008 by lifestudent]

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   
First we hear that an asteroid is slated to smack into Mars.

Then just weeks before this is suppose to happen , all the sudden we were wrong about the possible out come and now there is little possibility of it hitting.

In the meantime, we discover that another potentially dangerous rock has entered our solar system and everything goes down that we frequent for data, as we contemplate the possibility of impact with earth.

Then all of the sudden we discover that nothing is going to hit either.

What if some of the more advanced life forms that frequent our planet, have somehow averted what would have been 2 potentially dangerous situations?

Even a type 1 civilization could help us with that.

I still feel that it is a good time to remain diligent and aware. Be as prepared as you can be for any of the major changes that may be headed our way.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Just thinking... SO they (NASA) say that it won't hit us, calculations rule it out, and it is nothing.

Scientist (people) are wrong all the time. Look at the pills that kill us instead of curing us, look at the weather predictions that are wrong, look at the misuse of a military, the Bush fiasco.... The belief in fallible science and religion are just to keystones in the art of control. Just imagine how ass backwards we will look in 1000 years.

NASA, in the end, are made up of people (some being pompous). People are fallible. , Mistakes define us. We do not learn. It's just a problem that occurs with group-think (this can affect the ability to calculate critical input).

In the end, a hit would benefit only the rich (who have known for months about this). If they knew it would and could hit, they would lie to add to the damage and profit to be made. It's honestly like playing Russian Roulette, with them winning. They would have Plan B's for the occasion. And if it happens, millions/billions could die, and who benefits. It's like a freebie nuke.

Our Government is delayed as of late. Think of the Bush Administration and the undoing of the Constitution. 9/11. Iraq (soon to be Iran). Think of Katrina. All delayed mistakes, that were allowed to pass due to ignorance. And we just keep going. Give us a tax rebate and a new season of american idol, and people just go dumb.

Keeping up with recent MSM news. Makes me think about crazy Tom Cruise building that Bunker. For what? Alien attack or an asteroid.

All I know, all this talk about one world governments, 2012, the last pope, Revelations, Armageddon, so on. It's odd how so many things are in a way combining to form a mega situation, in a way a build up. Just seems that way. So many coincidences. I wonder. If its its all just forms of control.

All I know is the next few years are going to be interesting.This is just another grape.

If it passes. That is fine with me. But honestly its hard to believe anyone now, Official or not. If an asteroid hits, I still have to wake up and go to work, pay taxes, eat, live, so on.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Handy UTC day/night clock link. No news... this morning NEODys reported at 4:56UTC and again at 11:57.

Other sites seem to be "banking" on some EM event and some other pretty unusual stuff. Nothin' from Goldstone or Arecibo... The Arecibo 305M is skedded I think, but they only publish to NASA/JPL? Correct me if I'm wrong. So we get to wait... which is just fine.

It'd be so cool to get some "closer" radiometric images than those that were published by JPL. Hey, what about skedded AF launches or unskedded? Could be someone "is" having a closer look-see in the next day or so? Nah, there is no secret space activities. Wink.

Vic

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by squidboy
Just thinking... SO they (NASA) say that it won't hit us, calculations rule it out, and it is nothing.
I said that I wouldn't post on this thread until January 30, but I make an exception to say just two things.

1. NASA does not rule the scientific world. The orbit projections made presented by NEODyS are the result of 154 observations (with one discarded) made by 21 different observatories from around the World.

Klet Observatory, Ceske Budejovice
Eschenberg Observatory, Winterthur
Schiaparelli Observatory
Klet Observatory-KLENOT
LPL/Spacewatch II
Boambee
Desert Moon Observatory, Las Cruces
Mount John Observatory, Lake Tekapo
Powell Observatory, Louisburg
Grasslands Observatory, Tucson
Table Mountain Observatory, Wrightwood
Whipple Observatory, Mt. Hopkins
Catalina Sky Survey
Tenagra II Observatory
Parma
Observatoire Chante-Perdrix, Dauban
Stia
Siding Spring Survey
Mt. Lemmon Survey
Petit Jean Mountain South
CEAMIG-REA Observatory, Belo Horizonte

2. I posted before what the results of a hit of an asteroid of this size could be, but I used the default velocity. After reading that the asteroid is moving in the same direction as the Earth I went looking for its velocity, and it's very low, 9.48Km/s.

With that new data I used the Impact Effects Program again and this is what I got.

Your Inputs:
  Distance from Impact: 100.00 km = 62.10 miles
  Projectile Diameter: 300.00 m = 984.00 ft = 0.19 miles
  Projectile Density: 3000 kg/m3
  Impact Velocity: 9.48 km/s = 5.89 miles/s
  Impact Angle: 45 degrees
  Target Density: 2500 kg/m3
  Target Type: Sedimentary Rock

Energy:
  Energy before atmospheric entry: 1.91 x 1018 Joules = 4.55 x 102 MegaTons TNT
  The average interval between impacts of this size somewhere on Earth during the last 4 billion years is 1.2 x 104years

Atmospheric Entry:
  The projectile begins to breakup at an altitude of 44700 meters = 147000 ft
  The projectile reaches the ground in a broken condition. The mass of projectile strikes the surface at velocity 9.03 km/s = 5.61 miles/s
  The impact energy is 1.73 x 1018 Joules = 4.13 x 102MegaTons.
  The broken projectile fragments strike the ground in an ellipse of dimension 0.884 km by 0.625 km

Crater Dimensions:
  Crater shape is normal in spite of atmospheric crushing; fragments are not significantly dispersed.

Transient Crater Diameter: 3.13 km = 1.94 miles
  Transient Crater Depth: 1.11 km = 0.688 miles

Final Crater Diameter: 3.65 km = 2.27 miles
  Final Crater Depth: 0.437 km = 0.271 miles
  The crater formed is a complex crater.
  At this impact velocity ( < 12 km/s), little shock melting of the target occurs.

Thermal Radiation:
  At this impact velocity ( < 15 km/s), little vaporization occurs; no fireball is created, therefore, there is no thermal radiation damage.

Seismic Effects:
  The major seismic shaking will arrive at approximately 20 seconds.
  Richter Scale Magnitude: 6.3
  Mercalli Scale Intensity at a distance of 100 km:

IV. Felt indoors by many, outdoors by few during the day. At night, some awakened. Dishes, windows, doors disturbed; walls make cracking sound. Sensation like heavy truck striking building. Standing motor cars rocked noticeably.

V. Felt by nearly everyone; many awakened. Some dishes, windows broken. Unstable objects overturned. Pendulum clocks may stop.

Ejecta:
  The ejecta will arrive approximately 144 seconds after the impact.
  At your position there is a fine dusting of ejecta with occasional larger fragments
  Average Ejecta Thickness: 858 micrometers = 33.8 1/1000 of an inch
  Mean Fragment Diameter: 2.24 cm = 0.881 inches

Air Blast:
  The air blast will arrive at approximately 303 seconds.
  Peak Overpressure: 5700 Pa = 0.057 bars = 0.81 psi
  Max wind velocity: 13.1 m/s = 29.4 mph
  Sound Intensity: 75 dB (Loud as heavy traffic)

So, even if it hit, it wouldn't be as destructive as I first thought it could be.

Until January 30, again.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Thanks for the update, ArMaP!

Like I said before, you ROCK!

See you on the 30th!

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by V Kaminski
If it (E MOID) were to have another zero to the right of the decimal? Yup, that'd be a real concern. At this point I'm just watching the media reaction... the the public reaction, then? Maybe someone will start spending serious efforts on NEOs.

Nah Judging by the glee expressed in the threads about the possibility of a Martian impact on the 30th of January (that started at1/24 and is now 1/75 odds) I would suspect no one will take it seriously until the skies light up and one of them is streaking for their city

Funny thing is that one passed close to Earth and no one spotted it until it was past us!

Now THAT is the scary part with all our advance tech and the money we trow at it... one can sneak up on us at any time.

But in recent months we have seen an unexplainable Comet event (imagine if it had erupted while closer to Earth not past Jupiter on its way out of the system) and all sorts of possible or near misses..

But its okay... nothing to worry about... I am sure NASA and the daily News will give you plenty of warning to head for the hills...

Well more likely scenario... they will broadcast the info about 5 minutes AFTER you see it streaking for your city... from their underground bunkers

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by mungodave

Admin Update: the account below was originally posted on the Yahoo News Message boards, but has since been removed by Yahoo management. I've recovered the posting from Google Cache to include below
[edit on 21-1-2008 by SkepticOverlord]

Curious Do we know why this was pulled just shortly after the OP posted this? This has been happening a lot lately in material I have linked to on other subject...

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   
In September 2004 an asteroid hit Antarctica, 900km from the Japanese station Syowa. It was 10 meters wide and fragmented into millions of tiny pieces before impact. If it had hit Earth without fragmenting, it would have been like a Hiroshima blast.

Mini Armageddon Type Asteroid Exploded Over Antarctica

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I saw someone mentioned that maybe the satelite that is supposedly falling to earth may really be a cover-up for the asteriod tu24?\

does anyone else think that maybe true. I thnk there a good chance of it.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
If it had hit Earth without fragmenting, it would have been like a Hiroshima blast.

Dang it none of the links at that thread work anymore

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Heh Zorgon,
Hadn't seen you on here lately..good to get your take on it though. I really think the satellite and asteroid are mutually exclusive. I haven't started reading the main thread on the satellite yet. However, the aspect of shutting some down is interesting. Another thought is what made it fail in the first place.. Or was it "killed".
Does anyone know exactly when the shutdown will occur?
Just stirring the pot a little.
BP

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Yea please,Id like to hear more about the satelite to. Im just to lazy at the moment to search for the information. Lets see what you can find. Like does anyone know when they say te satelite is gonna hit? Thats a start.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by TheSonOfMan

Funny, i thought about that, but i didnt want to mention it for fear i'd be labelled a SUPER NUT.

I think its a possibility. I mean what are the chances of two things on their way?

^00^ I am spooked, but people worry about me, so i lie all the time and say i'm ok. Actually, to be honest, i have plans to go somewhere for the next two days with a family member who actually "understands" me and knows my association with this board, and is familiar with THE ASTEROID and THE SATELLITE and knows i'm a little paranoid. So, i feel better.

I'm afraid to ask, but when will this thing fly overhead? East coast?

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by V KaminskiNah, there is no secret space activities. Wink.

Quite true... and they never considered using asteroids as a weapon either... just pure fantasy...

Such notables as Carl Sagan, in discussing means of preventing catastrophic natural collisions, have expressed concern about the possibility of deliberately
deflecting an asteroid toward earth as a weapon (Harris et al., 1994; Sagan, 1994; Sagan and Ostro, 1994).

NATURAL METEOROIDS AS WEAPONS

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
but i didnt want to mention it for fear i'd be labelled a SUPER NUT.

Don't be afraid, your in good company on that score.

The satellite is interesting I will see what I can dig up if I have time. It may be more a threat than the space rock... depending how big it is

top topics

<< 66  67  68    70  71  72 >>

join