It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid 2007 TU24 has NASA concerned.

page: 66
<< 63  64  65    67  68  69 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   

One other note. This asteroid was only recently discovered. It came to us quickly. I wonder if we are going to see this alot.

We are "seeing" - or rather, NOT "seeing" - this all the time.
I remember reading somewhere that about 90% of asteroids and other such potentially dangerous "objects" come from the belt between the Sun and the Earth, which is why they remain invisible until it's... well, potentially "too late".

Am I a scaremonger?
Not at all.
(And I don't think this particular rock will hit the Earth, BTW.)

But I do remember very well (for personal reasons) 2002 MN.
Mostly, I remember that it was discovered 3 (that's three) days AFTER it had missed the Earth... by a mere 120 000 kms. It was the second closest approach in recorded history.

Here's an interesting article about it:

The day the Earth was almost hit (and NASA knew nothing about it)

and here's another, a more general one:

Are We Whistling in the Dark?

Interesting reading.

EDIT: Replaced a mistakenly inserted (wrong) URL...

[edit on 26-1-2008 by Vanitas]

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by writtenimage
So does the news about the "large spy satellite" falling to earth have anything to do with the OTHER asteroid? Are they using this as a cover story for something or as a test to see how people will react to something dangerous falling to earth?

www.news.com.au...

Inst that interesting. Nice catch.
Are there any other media sources?

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Siren
Here is another link with warning info and this shows the "Electron Flux" and the "Geomagnetic" impulse which is flagged as "onset". There is another page that has a monitor for geomagnetic activity.

Space Weather Alerts and Warnings Timeline

www.swpc.noaa.gov...

Thanks for those links Siren. Do you have the ability / knowledge to relate the warning to typical space activity?

also did you see/familiar with the earlier AUS links to space weather provided by mattguy I believe,

www.ips.gov.au...

-best
scrap

[edit on 26-1-2008 by scrapple]

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by scrapple

NEODys is "up"... at this link. Hasn't been "down" for me.

What would you like to challenge about the NEODys numbers? Or NASA/JPL's? The nearest approach trajectory seems simple enough to understand, what gives?

Cheers,

Vic

[edit on 26-1-2008 by V Kaminski]

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   

hey, this is a disaster map: visz.rsoe.hu...

I've totally forgotten about that one!
It's a very good site. Thanks!

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I don't understand how NASA doesn't catch these things if the size is significant. Don't they "have their eye on the sky" all the time? Or at least to a certain point close to Earth so that whenever something comes you can see it? Common sense would say yes, but I suppose they don't.

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
TU24.com is reporting that sensitive government equipment is being powered down for TU24 approach.

Sensitive data is also being backed up to multiple locations.

BUT THERE'S NO NEED TO FEAR???

I suppose this is just in case we DO get hit, the seeds are in the bank, and our government and elites are safely tucked away in a bunker???
Where is Bush & Cheney anyway?????

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Juicy

It easy to miss as a single snow flake in a blizzard. They can come literally from anywhere at almost any angle anytime. There are only so many telescopes suited and the Earth spins so it's a bit of a problem.

It's a big sky. Cool. TU24 is reporting that what government stuff is being put to bed? Uh, yeah. Sure. Viralesque. Be nice to have an independent confirmation other than the usual unnamed source. Beauty. I love it.

Vic

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

I personally wouldn't put a great deal of faith in that site. If I wanted to start a site and get a lot of hits, then I would pick an event/non-event that would spark interest to get it noticed to start with.

Then, when nothing happened, I would have a ready explanation for why everything went OK. But in the end, I would have a little loyal base of followers that I could try to build on with future scare mongering.

Just my opinion.

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

Its a post by the moderator, of all people and there's no link to where he/she got that data, but i'm sick of the fearmongering. I've got a brutal headache, i'll just hope for the best. I'l look in once in awhile later to see whats going on. BTW, NG, Congratulations!!!! I'm very happy for you!!!

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by V Kaminski
reply to post by scrapple

NEODys is "up"... at this link. Hasn't been "down" for me.

What would you like to challenge about the NEODys numbers? Or NASA/JPL's? The nearest approach trajectory seems simple enough to understand, what gives?

Cheers,

Vic

Weird, Its back. I did a Google search while making my last post and their home page had 'down for maint.) -Actually I just rechecked it and now when I enter the homepage and into the search page - entering (2007 TU24) gets 'IBO server error'. I will check again, it may be me.

All I was saying is that as of yesterday - and embed in this thread - the projected Emoid was . 00099/98 (cant remember which and will have to go back - but I screen captured it as well I think for posterity.)

your inbed 'is' getting me there!

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I know the satalite has been mentioned, but a thought I would like to add is that one website on the subject said that if the asteroid were negatively charged, there would be cmmunication problems. Maybe that satalite was in just the right spot for an electron surge. We won't know till it hits the ground.

BTW in all this both Russia and NATO announced they intend to use nuclear weapons in the event of any sudden aggression. I wounder if the Russians knew about this satalite failure as well as the asteroid.

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Could someone else try the NEOdys site search. I still cant get tu24 up without a server error message. I think I've tried most of the typical name combo's...

newton.dm.unipi.it...

-scrap

(my edit) OK got it, search by name, 2007TU24

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 10:57 PM
link   
YOu know if this thing did hit by some coincidence, I would just like it to do a bounce of the Southern hemisphere first, then skip over to North Americs & before anyone can get away, Land Smack On the Whitehouse..

PS...

While GWB is in the can!!!!

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Fresh data for the 27th 4:16 UTC from NEODys. A bit earlier than expected.

Earth MOID = 0.00099AU and holding true for three observation periods. Have a beer! The numbers did "move" a tiny little bit... remember that the E MOID is the scarier number. The distance from Earth is computed now for nearest approach at 0.013AU and represents a happier interpretation and is still only really an estimate... but a pretty good one as they have been successfully tracking it with only one discarded optical observation and no discarded doppler data at NEODys.

More accurate data (more decimal places) is available by using Orbfit and getting the data package for the Fortran. The estimates are very encouraging. With a bit of luck this may be one of the happier non-events in a while.

Here's the E MOID sequence over the last four 0.0012501, 0.00099, 0.00099, 0.00099. It would seem to have become more, rather than less stable; our planet's 9.8M/s/s gravity is helping.

It'll be fun to see what the other observatories get. No worries.

Cheers,

Vic

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 11:35 PM
link   
After reading this thread I still have no idea if

A: It's gonna hit
B: It's going to do anything
C: Still no media attention

Can someone give a summary of the 3 please, caus I dunno what to make of it.

watchZEITGEISTnow

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchZEITGEISTnow
After reading this thread I still have no idea if

A: It's gonna hit
B: It's going to do anything
C: Still no media attention

Can someone give a summary of the 3 please, caus I dunno what to make of it.

watchZEITGEISTnow

Quite simply...

A: No.
B: No.
C: Minor coverage, but no one really cares

My opinion - grab a beer, put your feet up, relax

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 11:55 PM
link   
You know for some of you, I think you want the asteroid to hit and destroy our planet. Why is that? Why are so many of you infatuated with the end of the world?

Just asking.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Hal9000

Firstly, If it did hit, the damage would be localised "Mabe 1000 x Tunguska", perhaps more or perhaps less depending on how much of it burns up in the atmosphere.

Secondly, the reason most ppl want it to hit is mainly out of curiosity.

A bit morbid I know, but as long as it's not landing in "your", front yard, who cares..lol

Thirdly, the data that could be gathered from such an impact would be Priceless.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 12:14 AM
link   
OK.

One good telescope to watch for TU24----$2799.99

Supplies for a Rock watching party---------$377.26

Seeing it hit your own house just before you're vaporized----Priceless.

I personally think there might be some benefit if it hit in a wilderness, but D.C. is another matter.

new topics

top topics

<< 63  64  65    67  68  69 >>

join