It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran Does Far Worse Than Ignore Gays

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by 4thDoctorWhoFan

You have u2u's awaiting you. Look up in your tool bar, it's red.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love

Originally posted by intrepid
He might have a point though. You've got to admit that a gay person is going to stay "closeted" in such a society.

That's exactly what I got from his answer, not the fact that homosexuality doesn't exist at all in Iran. That doesn't make it right mind you, but it's no reason to go to war. It's a sovereign country with it's own ideology.

Peace

[edit on 25-9-2007 by Dr Love]

right, he never said it didn't exist.. just that it doesn't exist "like in America."

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by neformore
Hmm.

It was only the late 60's and early 70's when gays and lesbians started to get rights in the US, wasn't it?

Good point. Iran will figure it out someday and so, until then, so what if a few gays get strung up right? Your logic is, well, illogical. If we follow your logic, Americans can can never speak out against racism because slavery was once legal in this country.

It amazes me that so many are bending over backwards to defend and, in some cases, attempt to glorify this man.

He is certainly intelligent enough to know that some of you will swallow anything he says.

It's ponderous. It truly is.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Night Watchman
He is certainly intelligent enough to know that some of you will swallow anything he says.

Are you saying he's a liar?

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by cloakndagger
Mahmoud Ahmadinejad clearly has no problem with gays. He kisses men all the time. He is gay.

someone really has to much time on their hands
and need to learn more skills on photoshop.

did you do it?

on topic
great timing

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Yes he is absolutely a liar.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 05:29 PM
link   
id rather be lied to by a cunning linguist, than a moron.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 05:57 PM
link   

reply to post by intrepid

Yes he is absolutely a liar.

And what do you base this on? Your opinion? Personally I didn't see him lie at all. The fact that he wouldn't utter Israel's name speaks for itself. He may be a lot of things but a liar, I think not.

Believe what you want though dude.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 06:06 PM
link   

And what do you base this on? Your opinion? Personally I didn't see him lie at all. The fact that he wouldn't utter Israel's name speaks for itself. He may be a lot of things but a liar, I think not.

He lied about gays in Iran for one. You wish to parse his words to suit your defense of him but that doesn't change what he said. He is an Islamic Extremist. He has advocated the destruction of the state of Israel.

You have the right to hold him in high regard. I have the right to consider anyone who does so to be borderline retarded.

You may also want to exercise your right to review these threads:

Mod Note: Terms & Conditions Of Use – Please Review This Link.

Mod Note: Posting Conduct… Play The Ball – Please Review This Link.

Mod Note: Courtesy Is Mandatory – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 25/9/2007 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 06:15 PM
link   

He lied about gays in Iran for one.

Did he? Or did you just miss the point?

You have the right to hold him in high regard.

Who said I held him in "high regard"? I don't but I'm not swayed by propaganda either. Can you say that?

[edit on 26-9-2007 by intrepid]

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 06:23 PM
link   

He lied about gays in Iran for one. You wish to parse his words to suit your defense of him but that doesn't change what he said. He is an Islamic Extremist. He has advocated the destruction of the state of Israel.

You have the right to hold him in high regard. I have the right to consider anyone who does so to be borderline retarded.

And how exactly did he lie about gays in Iran? I ask for facts. You seem intelligent, so I expect to see a fine rebuttal.

Calling anyone who disagrees with your views 'borderline retarded' creates a scenrio where you must beyond a shadow of a doubt make your case.
I await your response.

[edit on 25-9-2007 by lombozo]

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 06:24 PM
link   

It amazes me that so many are bending over backwards to defend and, in some cases, attempt to glorify this man.

Because they're responding to attempts to demonize him as some kind of new Hitler, and bending over backwards (a bit too far IMHO) to counter the propaganda being disseminated to lead us into another foolish & unnecessary Middle East war.

Is he a liar?
Duh... he's a politician dude

The words are pretty much synonymous.

Is he a dictator?
No, he's an elected representative.

Is he a demagogue?
Fer sure...

Is the Iranian regime a repressive theocracy?
No doubt.

Is it a democracy?
Yep, that too.

Has he "threatened to destroy" Israel?
Nope - he pretty clearly called for regime change in Israel.
Big freakin' deal...

As for gays in Iran - of course there are gays in Iran.

Pretending gays don't exist is a denial strategy we see used a lot in some parts of the world. IIRC the president of Thailand said the same thing a few years ago, and that's a society that is relatively tolerant of gays - they even had a (very popular) transvestite kickboxing champion a few years back.

Is Iran brutal in it's treatment of gays?
You bet.
Just like most of the Middle East, including our good buddies in Saudi Arabia.

[edit on 9/25/07 by xmotex]

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 06:25 PM
link   
[edit on 25-9-2007 by lombozo]

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Oh please!

Look at this. In this country the righteous right would love to kill every homo there is and put them down at every opportunity there exists.
No, we dont kill them, behead them, but YOU who hate gays try not to spin this one too hard, would you?

For years they were in "the closet", then they turned to religion, monasteries, became Catholic Priests, so they would be away from society because THEY ARE NOT ACCEPTED BY YOU.

Lets not be such hypocrites and demonize this so much. What that Ahmadinejad does about this is cruel and barbaric, but its not too far removed from the homophobia in this country. Oh yea, we let them live as long as they tip toe around us and dont come too close so as not to "catch" that dreaded desease they have.

Some call them immoral and would stone them if you were allowed. I am making a broad statement here- i know most of us have nothing against gays, and that includes me. In fact, i like gays- they know how to live in spite of all the crap people have dealt them thru the years.

*SNIP*
Would you want your neighbor who happens to be gay be dead?
Then stop complaining and treat them as the humans THEY ARE.

Mod Note: New Policies for Political Bickering – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 25/9/2007 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Oh please!

For years they were in "the closet", then they turned to religion, monasteries, became Catholic Priests, so they would be away from society because THEY ARE NOT ACCEPTED BY YOU.

What do you base this statement on? Catholic priests are hardly "away" form society. I thought priests followed that lifestyle because of thier beliefs not because they could go be gay.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Not to me it doesn't. It means that homosexuality is not an "open" practice in Iran. The guy is an educated individual, that means he isn't stupid(he KNOWS gays exist in Iran). He's also an able debater, I think what he said was EXACTLY what he meant.

Is that why today when someone asked what he meant when there were no gay people in Iran because she knew many, he said smiling, I don't know any?

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Hes disgusting.

Not Saudi Arabia disgusting, but still disgusting.

If the reason we were going to war with them was for this reason, I'd support it.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepidNot to me it doesn't. It means that homosexuality is not an "open" practice in Iran. The guy is an educated individual, that means he isn't stupid(he KNOWS gays exist in Iran). He's also an able debater, I think what he said was EXACTLY what he meant.

I'm of the belief that he tried to make a neutral comment. He didn't want to insult everyone in the audience and make his country look bad to them, but he also did not want to betray his beliefs.

Thus, resulting in his rather awkward statement which was a blatant lie; I'm of the belief he thought of it on the spot and wasn't prepared.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Okay enough already!

How has been to Iran? How about Saudi, Kuwait, Iraq? Who has been close up and personal with a Arab? Not many on this site I guarantee that!

They have strong religious beliefs which makes them pray at least 3 times a day where everything shuts down! Can you imagine that in the states, England? OMG pretty scary huh? The Koran has rules about marriage homosexuality and the like which pretty much is an insult to an Arab if asked thats why he said what he said. Kissing other men is a sign of friendship and loyalty American cant understand unless its a powerful handshake which men judge each other on the grip. There it isn't like that its more of a threat just like showing the heels of your shoe or touching with the hand that you clean with after doing your business.

But we American, English, whatever race you are cannot comprehend their way of life therefore it is a threat to us right? Imagine yourself being the Iran President. The Western society with its own beliefs invading your way of life and going against everything you grew up with, your faith in your religion. Now look at the changes that has taken place in the last 20 years with the effect on you life from the democrats and other political factors. Now look at your Arab neighbor who you hated but for other reasons but all in all still a brother in Gods land who was ripped from power and a country destroyed for no reason other than greed. Least I mention weapons of mass destruction which never was found or even the remote connection to Al Quadia which never was proven. All a catalysis for war and that what he sees in Iran's future.

So if you were him trying to protect your country wouldn't you need something to stop the inevitable attack on your country? What would stop it, chemical weapons on no, brother Saddam tried that it's only being a nuclear power that will keep the rest of the world at bay so you can try to uphold your traditions and values like you remember and where taught for so many years.

Evil? Nah not in my opinion. Scared yes. He sees us coming and so do I. As a human/parent/cousin/nephew whatever what would you do and lets say you have a position of power to change things unlike most citizens of the world?

He is protecting Iran's freedoms and I say go for it as long as you can.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I think more people need to realize that opposition to gay marriage is not the same as wanting to hang them in the public square. In fact some gays themselves support the former, while I don't think any support the latter, unless they're suicidal.

You'd think that would be self-evident, but apparently it's not.

[edit on 9/25/2007 by djohnsto77]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join