It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia Says U.S. Attack on Iran Would Be Catastrophic

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 09:19 AM
link   
It looks to me that the sides are being set, there is a definite message in this mans words.

Hopefully this impending conflict does not materialize, because I agree that this one would be catastrophic.

www.bloomberg.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 01:29 PM
link   
China jumps in with Russia:

Russia and China warn against war with Iran

Russia and China have criticised France's foreign minister Bernard Kouchner for talking of "war" with Teheran.

After meeting his French counterpart in Moscow, Sergei Lavrov, Russia's foreign minister, gave warning of the possible consequences of any military strike designed to disable Iran's nuclear programme.

US, UK, France are urging for stronger UN sanctions against Iran.

Russia, China are opposing.

[edit on 2007/9/18 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Hmmm, interesting. This is from the mouth of the Russians. I wonder what they mean by "catastrophic consequences"? Well do they mean a war?, because that is what they probably will do.

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Equinox99

"Catastrophic consequences" is rather open-ended and I don't think a single rational mind would dispute the comment, even without evoking possible Russia Vs US war.

A strike against Iran would:
Raise the price of Oil.
Cause more international terrorism
Result in the deaths of many innocent civilians
Be a war crime
Re-enforce a dangerous standard set with Iraq

This things would occur for sure.
Wider ranging war is just the most dire of possible consequences.

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by BitRaiser

It is an open-ended question, so you should think of every aspect of what it means. If you ignore the war part and we are unprepared for a strike against us, then there is something very wrong.

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Equinox99

Yes, I understand that.
I was pointing out that even without war with Russia there are many BAD things that WILL happen if Iran is attacked.

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 04:42 PM
link   
They said the same thing before we went to war with Itraq, so i dont think you can automatically take this as Russian involvement.

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I recall similar rhetoric from the Russians just before GW1 and GW2.

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 05:49 PM
link   
You can call it rhetoric, or you can call it rational reasoning. From the article in the OP:

[...]

A U.S. attack on Iran would destabilize the Middle East and lead to ``an extremely negative reaction'' in the Islamic world, Losyukov said, adding that ``use of force would be a serious diplomatic and political mistake.''

Dan Plesch, director of the Center for International Studies and Diplomacy at the School of Oriental and African Studies in London, said a preemptive strike would damage U.S. relations across the region.

``If they do it, they'll destroy everything,'' he said in an interview in London. ``You can destroy Tehran and you will lose Turkey and Egypt, in terms of political action. The U.S. and the Europeans should take a regional approach with a UN Security Council resolution and get Israel involved.''

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Doesn't sound like "loud and empty talk" to me. Sounds quite reasonable and rational.

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 06:06 PM
link   
If I would be Russia, I would sell arms to Iran and Syria (because Syria is on the list as well) watch the US destroy themselves in the process by urging countries to dump the US dollar. So all countries selling oil in US dollars would be in trouble. But right now I would advise China to dump quietly US dollars and buy gold, silver and important property.

Probably that Iran would become a country against Russia, but at what price? When the price of oil rising to 200$, Russia would be rich while the US goes down... seems like a fair trade to me for Russia.

[edit on 18-9-2007 by Vitchilo]

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by BitRaiser
I was pointing out that even without war with Russia there are many BAD things that WILL happen if Iran is attacked.

I agree, what I am hoping is these are just words of strength, to show positions of power, considering there is a UN gathering soon to debate whether or not to impose stronger sanctions against Iran.

[edit on 2007/9/18 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by West Coast
I recall similar rhetoric from the Russians just before GW1 and GW2.

Well, were they wrong?
LOL

I mean GW1 basically gave us Osama Bin Laden, and eventually 9-11.

And GW2 led to the disaster that is the occupation of Iraq, not to mention increasing instability in Lebanon, etc...

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Actually reading the article reveals that Russia made no threats of involvement. There were no words of strength, only words of wisdom.

A U.S. attack on Iran would destabilize the Middle East and lead to ``an extremely negative reaction'' in the Islamic world, Losyukov said, adding that ``use of force would be a serious diplomatic and political mistake.''

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Nice job OP.Many fail to understand the dangers of war with Iran.It will be much more than war with Iram,civilian deaths etc.It could very well be the official start to ww3.

There is a reason they said catastrophic consequences,yet some fail to realize and acknowledge the dangers that are very real and do exist.China/Russia/Iran have been tightening their allience for some time now.

I'm glad all the world powers are finally realizing,or at least warning eachother kinda.It was more scary to me not having Russia say anything.I have thought their allience was a threat for a little over 2 years,crazy to see so far down the road it actually is happening and war looming.

I'm going to start saving whatever I can out of each check and when I get word that we have started bombing Iran then I shall quickly go buy shat loads of supplies.You guys should prepare also.

Also doezens killed in Syrian/Iranian chemical bomb explosions.Calm down it was only their own engineers and soldiers ha.

www.jpost.com...
They talk of a July 23rd incident.Why release it now?More propaganda I think,but none the less it still shows you how hard the push for war is.

I'd also like to add I'm shocked more poeple at ATS has not seen this coming for as long as I have.Hell you can even tell from mainstream news,thats when you know it's bad.

[edit on 18-9-2007 by Project_Silo]

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I know it could be it, but I just can't face it. I don't believe it will be WW3 only because I don't want it and I can't imagine it happening. At least not over Iran... if they do start WW3 nuclear war over Iran, well I guess I was wrong all along. I just think that it will get much more worst before WW3 kicks off.

But after all, WW1 was after a relatively great economic moment, people were happy to go to war, WW2 was after a big economic crash... so WW3 could be after a world wide economic crash... when the dollar plundge, then people will be angry and won't be able to see clear... then all bets are off.

[edit on 18-9-2007 by Vitchilo]

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Ya I'm still on the fence as to wether the U.S. will attack considering Irans allience's.I also am not sure if Russia will attack,but I think they will start out slowly by funding,equipping,providing intell for Iran and Syria.Such as they warned Syria of a incoming Israeli airstrike last week I think it was.

Or will the U.S call everyones bluff and do it anyway to see if anything happens?

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 11:57 PM
link   
LOL, Russia siding with Iran in a war with the USis completely ridiculous. So many have no idea about geopolitics. What would Rusia have to gain, Iran is insignificant to them. Not to mention Russia has spent a fair bit of time supressing the muslim minority within her boarders. She is no firend of Iran, she just uses Iran to make a bit of cash and to keep the Americnas off balance. the same can be said of China. The US and China trade is probablt more than the entire Iranian economy. To think these 2 countries would side with Iran during war is completely stupid and laughable. AMazing how stupid people can be

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by mad scientist

Lol are you serious?Russia has to gain being a super power again man.Without the U.S in the way both China and Russia would be hell of a lot happier.Not to mention if you have studied current events at all its far beyond politics.

Russia and China have boith been arming Iran for years now.Russia built them a nuclear reacter despite sanctions,and is now going to fuel it for them.You need to do a little reading to understand it is a VERY real possibility and is far from political BS.

lol @ Iran is insugnificant to Russia.With all the oil in Iran it is not insugnificant to anyone anywhere.Not to mention if Russias millions of dollars investments in Iran are ruined by the U.S they sure would not be happy.Way to many things to list and I don't wan't to highjack this thread,go research.Hell even a quick ats search will do ya straight.

[edit on 19-9-2007 by Project_Silo]

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Project_Silo
Lol are you serious?Russia has to gain being a super power again man.Without the U.S in the way both China and Russia would be hell of a lot happier.Not to mention if you have studied current events at all its far beyond politics.

How exactly is Russia going to be a superpower again after having a war with teh US ? You imply that Russia would be unscathed. Completely ridiculous.
China is much more interested in trade with teh US than Iran, I can gurantee that, I have lived in China doing business for well over a year and met with all sorts of people, Chinese businessmen and governtment officials. Believe me if supporting Iran espcially militarily would cause a huge loss of trade with teh US and probably Europe, there is no way China would do it. It just doesn't make any logical sense, economics is the number one concern here.
Not to mention CHina isn't too keen on muslims either, they aren't backing Iran with a few words here and they because of a shared ideology. Alot of people in China loko down on Muslims.

Russia and China have boith been arming Iran for years now.Russia built them a nuclear reacter despite sanctions,and is now going to fuel it for them.You need to do a little reading to understand it is a VERY real possibility and is far from political BS.

Yah, it's good business arming Iran keeps the PLA happy with some extra pocket money, that's all it is though, pocket money.
As for Russia, I believ ethey said they would agree to supply fuel to Iran if they stop trying to enrich Uranium. That was actually Russia saying, stop enriching Urnaium we don't want you to have a nuclear weapons capability. The Iranians said no.
So I can't see anything in that argument which could possibly involve these 2 countries going to war with the US over Iran. I makes absolutely no sense, you have presented no logical argument.

lol @ Iran is insugnificant to Russia.With all the oil in Iran it is not insugnificant to anyone anywhere.Not to mention if Russias millions of dollars investments in Iran are ruined by the U.S they sure would not be happy.Way to many things to list and I don't wan't to highjack this thread,go research.Hell even a quick ats search will do ya straight.

So Iran has so much oil they claim they need nuclear power because in 50 years there won't be any left. Gee that makes sense.
And Russia's milions of dollars of investment is absolute chicken feed. Incomaprable to the hundreds of billions it stands to make in trade with the West, mostly energy resources.
I have read all teh bolocks and not many people understand the world too well. I have a great laugh when people talk about China and are so completely ignorant of the people, policies and culture.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join