It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteorite makes village ill? Yikes!

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Ever since i posted the link to a CNN article about Galileo come close to the earth at the same time this happened, i havent got one response? Are my posts not showing up or is no one reading them, or is it not relivent? i certainly think it is. This is one of the first satellites created using nuclear power cells, and the next day something hits peru that causes illness. Could it be that what hit was the heavily contained power cell, the only suriviving peice of a nuclear powered satellite created decades ago and just the day before coming closest in it apogee to earth for the first time since its launch. The info is right infront of you.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Chonx

Examine the image with the man on the bike paying attention to the crater in the background. The edges of the crater are irregular. Notice that a mound of earth and debris is only on one side and not on the other. You would expect to see a more uniform edge to the crater. From this perspective you can clearly see that the the object did not impact at a 90 degree angle.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by feanorthedude
Ever since i posted the link to a CNN article about Galileo come close to the earth at the same time this happened, i havent got one response? Are my posts not showing up or is no one reading them, or is it not relivent? i certainly think it is. This is one of the first satellites created using nuclear power cells, and the next day something hits peru that causes illness. Could it be that what hit was the heavily contained power cell, the only suriviving peice of a nuclear powered satellite created decades ago and just the day before coming closest in it apogee to earth for the first time since its launch. The info is right infront of you.

The article said that the villagers touched the “rock”. Now it could be a lump of metal, but it also seems to be bigger than a satellite would be especially with how much of it would burn up on reentry.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Wolf10

ah yes, I can see what you mean. Thanks for pointing that out and clearing it up for me

not a one line post.....see

[edit on 20-9-2007 by Chonx]

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Is this the way an impact crater should look?

In massive events caused by a large impactor, tremendous pressures and temperatures are generated that can vaporize the meteorite altogether or can completely melt and mix it with melted target rocks. Over several thousand years, any detectable meteoritic component might erode away. In some cases, nonterrestrial relative abundance of siderophile elements can be detected in the impact melt rocks within large craters - a chemical signature of the meteorite impactor.

www.solarviews.com...

It doesn't look to me like there is anything melted by this impact.

Since the 1960s, numerous studies have uncovered another physical marker of impact structures, shock metamorphism.
www.solarviews.com...

shock metamorphism
The production of irreversible chemical or physical changes in rocks by a shock wave generated by impact, or detonation of high-explosive or nuclear devices.
www.solarviews.com...

I read an article in a European news paper that said this area had a few claims of meteor impacts that turned out to be false.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 01:47 PM
link   
It was reported last night that it is not radioactive.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 03:31 PM
link   
This is really creapy...
and I noticed, Im not the only one who thinks so...

I think that is if this is exactly what it looks like, we could have zombie looking people running around the earth shortly. However, I think the world will cease to exist before that can happen.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I just read yet another article about this event and it seems that since it has happened, either the crater has gotten deeper or it was initially underestimated because the article I just read said it was about 15 feet deep, about twice the original depth of 6 feet.
The images that have been posted here seem to coincide with that report as well.. you can tell that it is well over 6 feet deep because of how small the people seem to be that are walking around above it..
Another interesting statement in the article was that the witnesses/victims reported that there was a strong sulfurous smell coming from the crater, this is what some people blame the breathing problems on.
However some apparent "scientists" claim that this was impossible and the reason for the sickness was psychosomatic and that there was no real danger at the crater site.
I was wondering how long it would take some scientist (probably from the US) to make this kind of claim.
This is yet another situation that I think about that is REAL news but isnt treated like real news because it doesnt involve Britney Spears showing her A**

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Kr0n0s

Are you sure about those measurements?

I have seen since the first time that the crater was around 20 metres wide and 6 meters deep.

All the measurements I have seen were in metres because I saw them on Portuguese or Peruvian sources, and both use the decimal system (and all should use it, this shows the confusion that may arise from using different systems)

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 04:19 PM
link   
If it's not radioactive, then it could be unique, something we probably never heard of.

If the people did get sick by the meteor, then more people will be sick worldwide, like a passing virus.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Source

Yes, I am sure.. the article is 19 hours old.. here is excerpt from that article and the source page...
It is possible that when I read the original story though, i couldve mixed up the systems of measurement, reading 6 feet instead of 6 meters..

Experts Confirm Meteorite Crash in Peru

By MONTE HAYES – 19 hours ago

LIMA, Peru (AP) — A fiery meteorite crashed into southern Peru over the weekend, experts confirmed on Wednesday. But they were still puzzling over claims that it gave off fumes that sickened 200 people.

Local residents told reporters that a fiery ball fell from the sky and smashed into the desolate Andean plain near the Bolivian border Saturday morning.

Jose Mechare, a scientist with Peru's Geological, Mining and Metallurgical Institute, said a geologist had confirmed that it was a "rocky meteorite," based on the fragments analyzed.

He said water in the meteorite's muddy crater boiled for maybe 10 minutes from the heat and could have given off a vapor that sickened people, and scientists were taking water samples.

"We are not completely certain that there was no contamination," Mechare said.

Jorge Lopez, director of the health department in the state where the meteorite crashed, told The Associated Press on Tuesday that 200 people suffered headaches, nausea and respiratory problems caused by "toxic" fumes emanating from the crater, which is some 65 feet wide and 15 feet deep.

[edit on 9/20/2007 by Kr0n0s]

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Sorry, Kr0n0s, I should have explained it better.

The measurements that I doubt are those that you say were the original ones, the ones that gave a crater depth of 6ft.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Yea I see that now.. I think you are correct to, I believe that I mis-read the original measurement, I think what I thought said 6 Ft was actually 6 Meters..
Sorry, i really hate the standard system, metric is so much easier.. its funny that the US is the only country in the world that still uses the standard system and one of two countries that still uses Fahrenheit instead of Centigrade.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Illness after Peru 'meteor crash' - 19-September-2007

Isn't strange that AlJazeera/English posted a video about the peruvian meteor in youtube?

www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Maybe it wasn't a meteorite at all?

According to the blog "Bad Astronomy," one good theory now circling around the Internet is that the supposed meteorite was, in fact, a Scud missile.

www.badastronomy.com...

Peru's government bought Scud missiles from Russia several years ago. Maybe the Peruvian military was running some tests on some of their (now old) equipment, and a Scud missile misfired?

(P.S. - I don't know if anyone has already brought this idea to the attention of ATS yet, as I've been working almost non-stop for the last couple of days and have only had a few moments to read a few of the first and last posts, but just in case, I wanted to put the idea out there!)

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ThunderCloud

According to the blog "Bad Astronomy," one good theory now circling around the Internet is that the supposed meteorite was, in fact, a Scud missile.

DANG! That was interesting, thunder.

Anyone have a picture of a scud missile craters for comparison?

www.zeitenschrift.net...

here is a crater from a rocket strike

Lebanese walk by a crater following an earlier Israeli warplane missile strike, on the road between the southern port towns of Sidon and Tyre, Lebanon, Thursday July 20, 2006.

[edit on 20-9-2007 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Ok all this talk of zombies and meteors is freaking me out.

Film 48 days later, meteor - zombies, film Undead, meteor Zombies...

SPACED.. old tv series, location ''''23'''' Meteor street (as named in the show)

From that show they got the idea to make Shaun of the dead! - zombies!

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by feanorthedude

I think you missed an important detail which I highlighted for you.
(hint: It says August 16, 1999)

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Found this, reported by BBC. Update of sorts. Didnt see that this was posted already, apologies if it was...

Geologists have called on the authorities to stop people going near the crash site.

Well that's good.

A local journalist, Martine Hanlon, told the BBC experts did not believe the meteor would make anybody sick, but they did think a chemical reaction caused by its contact with the ground could release toxins such as sulphur and arsenic.

Which has been mentioned in this thread.

An engineer from the Peruvian Nuclear Energy Institute told AFP news agency that no radiation had been detected from the crater.

phew...

He ruled out any possibility that the fallen object might be a satellite.

Wish we could get more on this...

Update

[edit on 20-9-2007 by WASTYT]

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Current reports is that it's a fallen spy sattelite, it was one of ours and the govt destroyed it

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join