It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexican Trucks Begin Crossing Border Saturday

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by souls

Originally posted by apc
Ug... if they're actually letting Mexican trucks on the highways then they should make illegal Mexicans perform litter duty on those same highways. The more we bring Mexico into the US, the more the US is going to look like Mexico. The world is their wastebasket.

and

Of course Mexicans aren't the only people that litter. But I speak from experience. I've been to Mexico several times and have lived among illegals. Mexican-Americans are just like anybody else. People born and raised in Mexico however... ug... I'm surprised basura is even in their vocabulary. I have to conclude it's a cultural thing.

If the trucks come in, the number of heat-and-eat burrito wrappers lining the shoulders will skyrocket.

You are so ignorant. You are worried about something so trivial, so ignorant, that you bypass the job outsourcing caused by NAFTA. Why does it always have to come back to illegals? Explain to me how you are not being stereotypical?

I agree.

I had no idea there were so many Americans who are racist....saying about an entire race of people "the world is their wastebasket".....wow, and i thought a lot of Australians were ignorant (and they are).

Not to mention the massive fear that ooozes out of so many posts.....the terrorists are coming to get us, the terrorists are coming to get us! Your Government has killed far more people than terrorists have in the last decade. For so many people on here who say they dont believe what they hear in the news their sure as hell are a lot of people who have bought into the underlying message being presented to you by news outlets and your government - FEAR EVERYTHING, even if there is not enough supporting evidence to do so.

I like Mexicans, and i like Americans too - i know that not all of you believe the absolute crap you are spoon fed.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 08:26 PM
link   
When are the American people going to realize this country will sell out the soul, bank accounts, security and it's citizens for capitol gain. This goverment doesn't give a damn about the welfare of the "common working class." HUH? They take our tax dollars and blow it on their master plan -- and that is to have a Republican gringo ruling the world. But, you see there is one big problem, the common man can now monitor minute to minute their every move through media sources. Next, people in Idaho will have to speak Spanish to enter Walmart. And then there is how to convert all the worlds heathens into bible slapping Christians.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 08:38 PM
link   
People here are afraid of their jobs being taken away, getting mad at the government for allowing such horrible things to happen. Let me ask.

When the United States set out to be the foremost leader in the globalized age that we are in, did you think that the adverse affects of it would not come knocking on your front door?

Did you think that free trade would only benefit the United States and it's consumerist driven population? It's multibillion dollar corporations and its glamourous lifestyles?

This is just the beginning. When you open your markets for foreign investment, you open up your markets to all sorts of new competition. What happens when you have more competition than you have a demand for it? Prices are lowered, wages are lowered and in turn production costs stay the same ringing in profits. $$$

What happens then? The same thing that happens in Mexico, the same thing that happens in China. Due to the corruption, greed, and inequality being practiced by the governments in those countries, the people will always loose. In China we have low wages, child labor, unsafe working conditions, no benefits, and a devaluated currency, but things are changing... in Mexico we also have low wages, child labor, unsafe working conditions, no benefits, and a devaluated currency, but things are changing...

I cannot go into detail when it comes to China's specifics, but as for Mexico, let me learn you a thing or three.

When NAFTA was approved by Mexico, where do you think all of those farm jobs, and maquiladora jobs went to? Give you a hint. It was were all those dirty, and lazy criminals come from...

During this time, the Mexican government sought to make it's market atrractive to transnational companies. What did it do? What did it promise it's people?

NAFTA was going to bring a lot of investors and that would create jobs and in turn would improve the Mexican economy. What really happened? Due to the pressure and threats by the foreign investors, the government instead decided to lower wages, over look working conditions, basically, exploit it's people. Keep in mind that the Peso was being devaluated at the same time. To this day this is still going on. The people effected don't just sit around and just take it. Even though protests, and demonstrations against the injustices being commited by the government's "policy" took place, those efforts have been successfully suppressed by the media, by the police, and the govenrment has even used the military to suppress calls for human rights, fairness and equality. Only so much can be accomplished.

What we see here now is that people are afraid that their jobs as truckers will be gone because some damn Mexican took it. It is globalization, your wages will get low, either accept it or they will find someone who will and you'll be out of a job. Simple as that, anybody can be replaced, specially in this day and age.

What needs to happen here is for the truckers to get informed, stop getting brainwashed with all the disinformation and scare tactics, and realize that this global economy , this global "domination" will happen and nothing anybody does will stop it.

Together with their unions, truckers need to start working with the Mexican truckers and thier unions to conceive strategic plans in order to ensure that the future in the trucking and transpotation industry, will be a fair and balanced one. Think about it. When they finish building this

source

Who do you think you will be working with? For the future of truckers on both sides of the border, unity has to happen. If it does not, problems and more problems will arise. You need to look past all of the disinformation. Let me start.

For those who says Mexican truckers and their vehicles are not regulated and that they will be braking down all the time and that the drivers will be reckless, I ask show me were you got that info? Like all three countries, they all have their fair share of failures, but to say that Mexican truckers are very bad, and their equipment is bad is all disinformation.

Would you like to learn more?

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by downtown436

What will happen if American truckers stop for a week?

Corporate America will have their way, they will just get cheaper truckers from mexico.

That is what Globalization corporate style has done to America the once wealthy nation like ours has allowed our wealth to be taken away by foreign nations.

Now we are a nation of debtors.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by souls

It has nothing to do with them taking our jobs away, or with them replacing us, because there is no way that they could ever replace all the US truck drivers needed. It has to do with them letting unsafe trucks that aren't regulated drive through the US, while forcing US trucks to be regulated and inspected daily. They're not requiring Mexican truckers to have a CDL or equivalent, there's talk that they might not have to weigh, and that they will be running bigger and heavier trucks than US trucks are allowed to. I have no problem with them allowing Mexican trucks to drive in the US, AS LONG AS THEY MEET OUR STANDARDS AND ARE REGULATED. Mexican truck drivers will never, and CAN never replace US truck drivers, and you won't see wages cut down to their level. The people that are going to be hurt the most are independent owner operators, not the major trucking companies.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Exactly. The major trucking companies are the ones who will benefit. What do you think will happen when these major trucking companies have no real competition? The same thing that happened with Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart, now has almost no competition in the markets that it resides. Due to this advantage, it can lower wages and ring in the profits. Wal-Mart is exploiting the labor in China and it is exploiting the labor in the U.S. The only way it can do this, is through the lack of Unions. The same thing will happen in the trucking industry. As soon as the competition is done with, they can set out and figure out ways to make even more profits.

When they are doing this, truckers from both sides of the border will be affected. What choice do they have if there is a leading trucking company, that has already set a standard for all others that would want to compete with them. They standards can only go as high as the leading competitor.

As for the concerns of safety and such, it is all disinformation. As more and more trucks come from Mexico, do you really think that the DOT will allow unsafe truck operations to continue, or to even happen? Maybe, but let me show you these numbers.

source

Tell me what you can see in those numbers.

[edit on 30-8-2007 by souls]

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by souls

They're not going to benefit OR get hurt by this. The only ones that get hurt are the independents, and they account for a very SMALL portion of the cargo hauled across the US comparatively (this is not a hard figure, but I'd estimate around 10-15% of cargo annually). The major companies won't even see a blip in their annual cargo haul. They're not competing against the independents, and the only other competition they already have are other trucking companies.

And your numbers don't say much when you compare total numbers of trucks and cars on the road with them. I'm not talking about numbers, I'm talking about ACTUAL experience of SEEING the trucks that are coming out of Mexico. I have picked up loads that were over 8 hours late because the truck couldn't get across the border because it had so many problems that had to be fixed before they'd let it come into the US. Then they were only coming 50 miles or so into the country to drop off a trailer before heading back. Those same trucks going across the country are a LOT more likely to create problems.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Al Qaeda just got the deal of a lifetime. Unless this whole war on terror is Gov. and Media BS. But this can be the opening they've been looking for, unless we're being lied and in fat they really are trying to kill us then this road opening is perfect for them to smuggle in somthing. They've been claiming the big one to happen some time soon...This highway is the welcome mat. "come on in terrorists."

blogs.abcnews.com...

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Look at these and tell me what these say.

source

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by souls

Originally posted by souls
For those who says Mexican truckers and their vehicles are not regulated and that they will be braking down all the time and that the drivers will be reckless, I ask show me were you got that info? Like all three countries, they all have their fair share of failures, but to say that Mexican truckers are very bad, and their equipment is bad is all disinformation.

This is extracted from a report from the General Accounting Office of the United States (GAO) to the United States Congress. This is not disinformation.

I suggest you read the entire report. It is very much a reproach of Mexican trucking.

Photos of Common Violations Observed by GAO

The next five slides show violations incurred by trucks from Mexico and some resulting adverse impacts:

Truck with broken suspension at El Paso, Texas

Truck illegally hauling mixed hazardous materials that were not secured and leaking at Calexico, California

Truck hauling an overweight load at Brownsville, Texas

Road damage at Laredo, Texas

Damaged bridge in El Paso, Texas

Infractions

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

I'm pretty sure you have first hand experience but is it like that with every single one of the Mexican trucks you have encountered?

My point is that regulations for safety and compliance are showing progress when it comes to Mexican truckers. Year by year the numbers improve. By the time the NAFTA corridor is officailly announced, regulations will be so tight that Mexican trucking companies will have to up the standard, as it shows it has.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 10:04 PM
link   
You're trying to say that a country that runs WELL UNDER HALF the commercial vehicles, around places that don't have NEARLY as many cars around them having fewer accidents proves that they're safe or safer than in the US? What do you expect??? Did you even LOOK at your numbers? There are almost SEVEN HUNDRED THOUSAND carriers with DOT numbers in the United States, compared to FOURTEEN THOUSAND in Mexico. Add to that the sheer number of CARS on the road with those seven hundred thousand trucks and yes, you're going to have more accidents. And that doesn't prove that they drive safer trucks. You are looking at numbers, and I'm talking REAL WORLD. You should go down to Laredo and actually LOOK at some of these trucks instead of looking at numbers and saying they're safe.

ETA: Yes, it's been like that every time I've been down there. And not just in my experience. Just about every one of our drivers I've talked to has gotten stuck down there at LEAST four hours waiting for that trailer to arrive because the truck bringing it has been delayed at the border.

[edit on 8/30/2007 by Zaphod58]

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by souls

How trustworthy is the information you are posting from that web site?.

I just wondering.

Beside the whole issue behind the pushing of this agenda by our corporate ridden government is too nauseating to even be comprehended by the American citizens.

This is just the beginning of the most deceiving and dangerous agenda in the planning against the sovereignty of our nation.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58

Sheer numbers. In the US alone, over the next ten years we are going to need 500,000+ truckers just to keep up with the number that are retiring. That's NOT counting expanding companies. So unless the Mexican companies can come up with about a million truck drivers they will never be able to take over the business from the US companies.

That sets me at ease a little bit. My husband is a trucker with a medium sized company. I have been praying that he doesn't loose his job to them. The other thing I worry about is that the Mexicans will work for less. Over time instead of pay increases, I wonder if the truckers will see pay decreases, loss of what little bonuses some companies give, and loss of benefits.

My husband's - not dispatcher - the manager told him that the company is already having a slow down in freight when it is actually suppose to pick up. Do you think there will be a large slow down in freight after awhile due to the illegal Mexicans and not just the economy.

When your wheels aren't turning you ain't making any money. I hate to see a lot of US truckers sit. If enough quit because of not enough freight due to illegals, lower pay because of illegals, and loss of all benefits and bonuses, that might give the government a reason to allow more Mexicans in. Of course stating the hated phrase, American workers won't do the job, so we need the Mexicans. Bunch of BS. Pay the American workers what the job is suppose to pay, and they will work. They can't support themselves let alone a family on pennies on the dollar.

Here I'm just getting use to driving on the highways again, and now I have to look forward to coping with dumb illegals. Heck, they don't have to know English to drive on the roads. I have heard many of them don't understand all the US road signs either. You know there will be some trucks smuggling in more illegals.

The cops will be afraid to target illegals in fear of being accused of profiling. So they will tag more American trucks than Mexican to keep themselves clean. Well, at least some dot officers will.

I almost got put in the hospital/killed when I was pregnant because of a dumb trucker. Don't know if he was tired or just not paying attention. Go straight to stay on the highway, and you veer right to take the exit ramp. The road formed a V with grass leading up to a hill. Someone blasts their horn. The trucker over corrects. My dad goes into the left lane, and the truck keeps moving over. My dad blares his horn, and the trucker pulls back in the right lane almost side swiping us. If the truck hit, the trailer would have hit me first. They can total a car or minivan.

I don't panic around trucks, and actually like to follow them at a safe distance especially at night. I can see the road much clearer from their lights, and the truck shows me which way the road is turning. In the snow, the truck cuts a path better. People usually like to cut in front of me, and I think idiots.

Now with the Mexicans coming in, I don't think I'm going to do that any more. I'll try to put as much distance between myself and the truck as possible, unless I know it is a US company with their name splashed all over the side.

Jeez, I just thought of something else. Most of these dang Mexicans don't know how to drive in the wintertime in the snow, let alone on hills and mountains. Watch out for a lot of Mexicans stuck on the side of the road or rolled over this winter. I can see a lot more blocked roads because of them.

I live on the East coast, and my husband prefers driving on the East coast and knows how to handle the weather here. Even regular people not use to driving in the snow on hills creep and have many problems, my husband sits there and shakes his head. He turns and tells me this ain't nothing.

To help the truckers out, remember to report any Mexicans not driving correctly. Get the license plate number and trailer number. If possible the truck number. If there are enough complaints to dot about the Mexicans, they might just shut down the entire program.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by scooler1
The stereotyping of mexicans on this thread is awful. APC, I didn't realize that mexicans are the only people who litter. And logicize, explain to me how mexican trucks are the only trucks that break down?

Very sad.

For me it isn't stereotyping. It is first hand accounts from those who have seen Mexican trucks on Mexican and US roads. 99% of the people have said that the Mexican trucks are worse than the US trucks. About half said that many of them are a piece of junk, and the trucks are not taken care of properly.

OOIDA -Owner Operators of America - has said for as many trucks coming into America, there will not be enough Dot officers to inspect all the trucks coming through the border. Personally I don't see them making all the trucks sit and wait until they can inspect all of them either.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Mystery_Lady

Thanks for sharing your concerns Mystery lady, and concerned we should all be, the people behind this agenda do not care who can lose their job or no, their goal is making profits at the expenses of our nation’s hard working citizens.

This will bring the outsourcing right into our backyards.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

I like this report, didn't even have to read it all to find this.

We found that Mexico and the United States have made some progress indeveloping compatible trucking regulations. The achievement ofcompatibility is essential because there are major differences in the twocountries’ trucking regulations, operating practices, and enforcementactivities that could adversely affect highway safety and infrastructure.Compatibility efforts in areas such as vehicle-related standards and trafficcontrol devices were not slated for completion until 1997—well after theplanned opening of the border states. Compatibility for certain trucking regulations, such as those on vehicle size and weight, may never bereached; therefore, the host country’s regulations must be complied with, and enforcement is the key for ensuring compliance.

So enforcement is the key for ensuring compliance. Seems to me that regulations on both sides of the country are comparable, but the lack of enforcement is what the problem is. Like I said, what is the concern? There will be some truck drivers, from either country, who will not follow regulation and it is up the the agencies on both governments to enforce regulations. Mexico's trucking conditions are improving and will continue to do so making that industry a fomidable competitor.

The problem with the report you showed me jsobecky is that it is kind of outdated, conditions since have improved.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 10:20 PM
link   
The problem is that the DOT won't be ABLE to enforce the regulations on the Mexican trucks, but WILL be able to on the US trucks. The Mexican trucks will fall under Mexican regulations, and those are not NEARLY as strict as US regulations.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by souls

The real problem is is that our roads are going to be crowded with more unsafe, overloaded, leaky trucks driven by drivers with questionable qualifications. We are inheriting the problem, not Mexico.

You say conditions in Mexico are improving. Prove it. And I do not trust a report from "Mexico Trucker" since it is inherently biased.

Mexican trucks are not required to have logbooks or front brakes! And we're supposed to feel safe?

[edit on 30-8-2007 by jsobecky]

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Normally I like to read topics and keep my comments firmly lodged in my head, but I must say LevelX that i am a Bible "slapping" little Christ. I suggest you keep treasures like that to yourself.

Since I spoke up, here is my opinion. It seems to me that this is another step towards a global unification attempt. First in Europe, then in the Americas.
I am worried about the future sovereignty of my country...

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join