It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skynet is really coming!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 02:36 PM
link   
www.nationaldefensemagazine.org...

The U.S. Army quietly entered a new era earlier this summer when it sent the first armed ground robots into action in Iraq.

So far, the robot army's entrance into the war has been a trickle rather than an invasion.

Only three of the special weapons observation remote reconnaissance direct action system (SWORDS) have been deployed so far.

The Army has authorized the purchase of 80 more robots -- which are being touted as a potentially life-saving technology -- but acquisition officials have not come forth with the funding.

"As [soldiers] use them and like them, I’ve heard positive feedback, they want 20 more immediately. It’s a shame we can’t get them to them," Michael Zecca, SWORDS program manager, told National Defense.

So what could you see in the future? All future wars involving the U.S. would be all machines? Or just a mix with humans and machines fighting together? So far its all remote control by humans. Mostly the killing is done by UAVs, now we got UGVs coming in with intent to kill.

Just thought I include this as to what could happen in the near future.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 03:09 PM
link   
You should see what they've been putting on the Israeli border.
They're much more lax about the whole 'IFF not ready', 'need budgeting' thing.

Personally, I imagine a human-robot relationship, with the latter being increasingly where the action is, and Humans taking over only the most pin-point maneuvers.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 03:16 PM
link   
i'm amazed at the resourcefulness of mankind...how much money was spent researching a killer robot?

how much of that money could have helped cure cancer? all of it, enough people die without government funding...why must they find new ways of doing it

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Thought I would chime in, as Skynet has been around since 1969!

Did you know that the British MoD's network of communications and control satellites is known as Skynet?

Little tidbit for you there

Skynet

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Interesting to say the least. When it gets to the point of AI controlled machines like these, I doubt they will be very efficiant. A computer can only do what it is programed to do. The inginuity of mankind should keep us just fine.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 02:17 AM
link   
"A computer can only do what it is programed to do."

That may have been true 30 years ago, but with various AI developments - in particular neural nets - computers have been showing that they can learn and adapt for some time. The latest military software is said to have 'human-like' capabilities, with a high degree of cunning.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 02:27 AM
link   
keep in mind the swords are the only thing that ar public there are full on human like dog like even cat offensive robots behind closed doors also mechs or VTs as the officials call them

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 02:29 AM
link   
so a computer controled system can tell between a cuvilian and armed insergent?

me personaly i dont like the idea as computers have no remorse
as mentioned before they are just preprogramed to do their job,
yes they can think for them selves but those actions are from preinstalled commands.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 02:49 AM
link   
I believe this is related, I think this is the robot that Israel and Korea(i forget if it was north or south) bought.

www.samsungtechwin.com...

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul
so a computer controled system can tell between a cuvilian and armed insergent?

Same principal US troops have, if it shoots, shoot back.

me personaly i dont like the idea as computers have no remorse

Remorse is not a desirable trait, neither is fear, complaint, tiredness etc...

yes they can think for them selves

Actually no they cannot, all (no exception) current (ground) combat robots that the US fields use a "man in the loop" system where the robot is manually operated and controlled by a human being. It cannot perform a mission autonomously.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 06:35 AM
link   
I wouldn't be worried about it. If we're getting our asses kicked in Afghanistan by a bunch of illiterates, no so-called supercomputer can defeat the human race.

There is no algorithm for the human spirit.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I doubt the Terminator Skynet will ever come into fruition. These robots are manned by a computer terminal operated by a soldier back in base. As westpoint stated it's impossible for these robots to do anything other than what they're programmed or told to do.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 01:18 PM
link   
im not a robot like guy unless there remote controled i got scared when that vacuum that didnt need people came out

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Actually no they cannot, all (no exception) current (ground) combat robots that the US fields use a "man in the loop" system where the robot is manually operated and controlled by a human being. It cannot perform a mission autonomously.

i ment cant think for them selves
hence the comment about preinstaled commands.

so your saying a robot can identify and shoot hostile targets insuring that they arent cuvilian?

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Its only a matter of time before these things loose the need for a human controller and are capable of identifying targets on their own. Then no doubt they will gain their own satellite network so they can communicate with each other, and work tactics against multiple targets and enemy bases. Add 20 years of advancement to the programme and you have fully automatic, self repairing, independent killings machines. The only thing stopping these machines from killing everyone in sight indiscriminately will be some software.

Then someone adds AI....

Du-na dun da-nun...

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   

so your saying a robot can identify and shoot hostile targets insuring that they arent cuvilian?

If the operator sees someone via the robot and determines that he or she is threat (i.e. shooting) then they can use the armament on the robot to engage. The robot is just the means, the human is still the decider.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Nothing like making it break the First 2 Laws of Robotics in its first outing.

BTW Yes I know it is human controlled.

[edit on 3-8-2007 by ATruGod]

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Well... there is MQ9-Reaper controlled by a guy in a base... but still awesome. One day we may just upload a bombing run and have no guy controlling.

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 02:33 PM
link   
u guys r crazy..these robots have cameras, so u know who is the target or not, it's kind of like computer games, there's a screen.

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 02:36 PM
link   
robots skynet i dont think so yea we got some cool bots but no way like skynet if we are to make robots like them it will take us at least 100years we aint gonna be killed by robots any tiem soon

top topics

<<   2 >>

join