It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Islamic Scholar: Working Women Should Breastfeed Male Colleagues

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Please tell me how one man's strange, repugnant ideas have become so important that we are disdcussing it on ATS? I would think that ATS has a higher standard than this.

discussing one persons crazy, lunatic thoughts are not what ATS is about. If it was, we would have thread after thread discussing such things.

Is it only because this man is a muslim that this thread was started? I fear so.

I could cite hundreds of more cases where more bizzare thoughts are brought up in the news, but nobody wants to talkt about them. just because this is a muslim, it is brought up.

disregard this people...it's just another crazy thought from a crazy person. Happens every day, and is really not noteworthy.

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by sensfan
discussing one persons crazy, lunatic thoughts are not what ATS is about. If it was, we would have thread after thread discussing such things.

I understand your point of view sensfan, but this isn't just random guy off the street.

He's an Islamic scholar at one of the most prestigious Islamic Universities in the world.

Therefore, I think his statement (issued as a religious edict, or fatwa) does certainly have newsworthy aspects.

If someone like Pat Robertson had made similar comments, I'm sure very few would question the comments newsworthyness.

[edit on 6/21/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by sensfan
Please tell me how one man's strange, repugnant ideas have become so important that we are disdcussing it on ATS?

Because its to do with "Islam", which is the new bogey word, and anything to do with it will be picked up, sensationalised and left so that ignorant people and bigots can run all over it.

I've often wondered how the global scientific community could bring about more action from the US on global warming. What they should do is say that Islamics are behind it. Within weeks we'd have a "war on pollution" and Americans would be driving hydrogen fuel cell cars and living off sustainable energy.

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by neformore
Because its to do with "Islam", which is the new bogey word, and anything to do with it will be picked up, sensationalised and left so that ignorant people and bigots can run all over it.

Your statement is ignorant and bigoted in itself.

As I said if some radical Christian such as Pat Robertson, the late Jerry Falwell, Oral Roberts, or anyone like that said anything like this you people would be all over him.

But when an Islamic cleric does it, you defend him and blame the messenger.

Hypocrisy anyone?

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 03:34 AM
link   
"As I said if some radical Christian such as Pat Robertson, the late Jerry Falwell, Oral Roberts, or anyone like that said anything like this you people would be all over him.

But when an Islamic cleric does it, you defend him and blame the messenger"

OK, all things being equal -- why bring up the subject? It seems out there, but is it really a matter of who it came from.

Dallas

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 05:03 AM
link   
WTF!

The only persons I will breastfeed are my future children.

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

Your statement is ignorant and bigoted in itself.

As I said if some radical Christian such as Pat Robertson, the late Jerry Falwell, Oral Roberts, or anyone like that said anything like this you people would be all over him.

But when an Islamic cleric does it, you defend him and blame the messenger.

Hypocrisy anyone?

How is my statement bigoted exactly? Which race did I slander? I made a general observation.

And where, in my statement, did I defend the cleric?

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
What the hell I dont understand? What is this saying? weird. This has nothing to do with islam wtf haha, The guy probably wanted to suck some boobies. And made up some excuse hahaha

[edit on 20-6-2007 by _Phoenix_]

[edit on 20-6-2007 by _Phoenix_]

Hahahaha, so true!

Honestly we shouldn't really care about idiots like that guy. His ideas will NEVER come reality. Not in a million years.

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Strange! Bizarre! Repugnant!

And please, dont swallow. Its nasty.

Can we now close the thread before i gag>?

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I also think this story is noteworthy. As someone previously stated, if it would have been an American religious leader, especially christian, this would be an 8 page thread by now.
Noone in any way has slandared Islam, but merely sharing a new story. To come here and make it seem like we are bigots because we are talking about it is rediculous.

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aaron_Justin
To come here and make it seem like we are bigots because we are talking about it is rediculous.

Who has done this?

Re-read whats been written. No ones said that at all. Now who's being ridiculous?

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I also question the motive behind posting this story.

Why wasn't the main thrust of this article "Islamic Scholar Immediately Suspended For Suggesting Idiotic Fatwa"? This is the belief of one man, hardly representative of Islam.

The fact that he was a scholar at a prestigious Islamic school means nothing since the university suspended him for it. If his comments were endorsed by the university this might be worth mentioning.

At the moment it's like saying the United States is incompatible with International conventions on human rights because Steven Jones of BYU claims the US government was complicit in 9/11.

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I think many times people will say ridiculous things to address an insane situation in the hope that their comments will at least get people talking about the issue. Sort of like the old Solomon cutting the baby in half trick.

The real problem is not the crazy comments about breastfeeding but the fact that Islamic woman do not have very good rights under Islamic law.

[edit on 21-6-2007 by zerotime]

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 10:35 AM
link   

A RELIGIOUS ruling by an Islamic scholar permitting women to breastfeed adults with whom they work has led to his suspension...

Sorry, but there's only one comment that I could make...

mmmm...BITTY!!!

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by neformore

How is my statement bigoted exactly?

A bigot is a prejudiced person who is intolerant of opinions, lifestyles, or identities differing from his or her own.

You have a history of being argumentative in every thread that has to do with Islam, or the Iraq War from what I have seen.

You are intolerant of people / topics that reflect on Islam in a negative light. You also make the assumption that the rest of us are shallow enough to view the world in the same manner that you do. I don't think anyone here view Islam as evil, but you assume we do.

You need to adjust your thinking to the real world, as it won't adjust to your thinking.

I hope that clears things up.

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by crisko
A bigot is a prejudiced person who is intolerant of opinions, lifestyles, or identities differing from his or her own.

OK. Nice defintion.

You have a history of being argumentative in every thread that has to do with Islam, or the Iraq War from what I have seen.

Thats not being bigoted. Thats having an opinion. There is a difference.

You are intolerant of people / topics that reflect on Islam in a negative light.

Yes. I'm intolerant of that. When a whole slew of people get blamed for the actions of a few, I don't like to see it.

You also make the assumption that the rest of us are shallow enough to view the world in the same manner that you do.

I don't make any assumptions about anyone, I may post things that challenge peoples thinking, but I never assume that anyone sees something my way.

I don't think anyone here view Islam as evil, but you assume we do.

I think you are wrong. I think if you read alot of posts on ATS - as you claim to have done with mine - you will see that an awful lot of people here assume Islam is evil.

You need to adjust your thinking to the real world, as it won't adjust to your thinking.

Wow. Discussions in your household and peer group must be wonderful. As soon as someone comes up with a different way, or challenges a perception you label them a bigot and tell them they are out of touch with the world and they need to adjust their thinking.

Well hell, I thought ATS was a discussion forum where people can air their views on things and debate them. I guess I'm wrong about that then am I?

I guess all those people with their own views on other subjects are bigots too?

I hope that clears things up.

I hope this clears something up for you.

If you can't stand to debate something with someone, and think that a a person having a differing view from yours makes them bigoted, you are in the wrong place, because the last time I checked this was an international message board made up of contributions from people across the world who don't necessarily see things the same way because they come from different backgrounds.

Now, I assume you will be leaving your wonderful assessment of peoples personalities on other threads as well as this one, because I think you'll find theres an awful lot of people with opinions out there, and, as ATS's self proclaimed judge of peoples personalities you have an awful lot of work to do.

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by hoochymama
If I had a breast, maybe. There are reports in Africa of this very thing happening for reasons that we all know why.

I was reacting to a comment "disgusting". I wouldn't say its disgusting but maybe inappropriate.

Thanks for the laugh. Now, Djohn, arent you sorry you started this?

It goes to show you people dont read. To breast feed AN ADULT IS DISGUSTING unless you and your boob are on a deserted island with said adult and he/she is dying of hunger. BTW, pinch your nose- that stuff is DISGUSTING . I guess i would take the boob if i were dying also.

As far as their religion, it couldnt be too important this wont happen.

I think its Bush's fault.

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 01:15 PM
link   

This is about women having to breastfeed their grown male coworkers at work in order to be able to work with them without breaking Islamic law.

Absolutley disgusting.

Breastfeeding your co workers

yup that has to be the craziest suggestion I have ever heard.

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Terrible...........................absolutely disgusting..................Despicable......
I can't even imagine such vulgarity

dALLAS

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Well as someone who has also had breastmilk as an adult. It isn't all that bad. The clear stuff that comes out before the milk does is indeed foul. But that is just to force the baby to wash the taste out with the real breastmilk. For those curious, it is a bit sweet and thick, compared to those that drink 2% and skim milk (which I find to be nasty) as I only drink whole milk on the rare times that I drink milk at all.

On topic, it sounds more like a thinking out loud thought than anything else to me. Not all women that work are lactating. The idea behind the thought is for men and women to have a non-sexual familiarity with one another so that non-relatives will not be tempted nor rumored to have a sexual relationship. How suckling a breast would remove infamiliarity in a non-sexual way escapes my logic. But then again, I am not muslim.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join