It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Islamic Scholar: Working Women Should Breastfeed Male Colleagues

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Islamic Scholar: Working Women Should Breastfeed Male Colleagues

www.theaustralian.news.com.au

A RELIGIOUS ruling by an Islamic scholar permitting women to breastfeed adults with whom they work has led to his suspension this month from al-Azhar University in Cairo, the world's leading Sunni university.

Izzat Atiyaa had issued a fatwa, or religious ruling, offering his bold suggestion as a way around the prohibition in Islamic religious law against a woman working in private premises with a man who was not her close relative. Breastfeeding, he argued, would create a familial relationship..
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I guess this fatwa was too over-the-top for even Islamic university, as he was suspended.

Still, it's interesting how difficult it is to reconcile Islam with modern secular society. Under strict Koranic Hadith interpretation, this guy is probably right!

www.theaustralian.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 6/21/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Wow, I bet that all of the women's rights groups in the West are going to be screaming about this one! You know, just like they harp on treatment of women in that part of the world all the time!

Wait for it...

Wait for it........

*chirp chirp*

[edit on 6/20/2007 by Togetic]

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 09:25 PM
link   
OMG! First of all, that liquid is undiscribably BAD since i happened to pour some in my coffee, after my lactating daughter in law pointed to some container which should have been HALF & HALF. uGGGGGHHHHHHHH

I do have an incredible bond with her though.

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Wow, that really made me laugh, I mean it's just so unexpected.

Could you just imagine it though, scratch that, I don't think I particularly want to.

EDIT:
Removed something that could have been taken a completely different way than what I was thinking.

[edit on 6/20/2007 by iori_komei]

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Wow, I've heard disgusting ideas; but this one takes the cake.

I don't even want to think how that would work. Ick.

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Disgusting??? In America, there is such a strong Anti Breastfeeding (except a few groups) agenda which is pushed by Doctors, The Government, and Mothers themselves that we wonder why there are so many sick kids going to the doctor all the time!!!

The Governments agenda with Women who have children is so they can return to work as soon as possible. There are so few Women who are stay at home moms now a days that I can see why there are so many family problems. I don't always agree that a womens place is in the home but I have a strong belief that they should have a choice. The Propaganda that is shoved down a new mothers throat to return to work ASAP is sickening to me.

Yes, there are companys that provide day care at the workplace and rooms just for Breastfeeding purposes, and if that is the best thing they can do than at least there is that.

Back in the day it was uncommon for a Women especially after childbirth to work at all and the reason why is financially they could do it. With the hundreds of credit card offers annually and commercials pedling New Cars that the only way a family can afford any of this is to have the father and mother working. I don't look down on Womens rights, but as far as a child is concerned I believe we should have stable enough prices and a comfort level that if we had the choice our Wives could stay home with the Kids if need be. The only way to do that now and be able to keep up a mortgage is to sacrifice which I think is the right thing to do.

Breastfeeding provides so many positives as far as health benefits that breastmilk should be labeled as a Miracle Drug.

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 10:32 PM
link   
hoochymama,

This has nothing to do with women breastfeeding their children, which I agree is both healthy and natural.

This is about women having to breastfeed their grown male coworkers at work in order to be able to work with them without breaking Islamic law.

Would you like to whip out a breast and feed a team of men just so you can work in an office?

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 10:32 PM
link   
What the hell I dont understand? What is this saying? weird. This has nothing to do with islam wtf haha, The guy probably wanted to suck some boobies. And made up some excuse hahaha

[edit on 20-6-2007 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Under strict Koranic interpretation, this guy is probably right!

Would you care to cite the "Koranic interpretation" that you are referring to?

If a man isn't allowed to commit adultery in Islam, then why would you think Islam would allow a man to be breast fed by a woman he doesn't know?

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJMessiah
Would you care to cite the "Koranic interpretation" that you are referring to?

Obviously his interpretation, did you read the whole article? I'm not the expert, he is:

Dr Atiyaa argued in his fatwa that if an adult male was nursed by a female co-worker it would likewise establish a familial bond that would permit them to work side by side without raising suspicion of illicit sex.

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Hoochymama, I agree breast feeding a child is great and should be supported. The article however, refered to women breast feeding male co-workers just to be allowed to work; and that is a disgusting thought to be. Babies yes co-workers NO

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 10:48 PM
link   
If I had a breast, maybe. There are reports in Africa of this very thing happening for reasons that we all know why.

I was reacting to a comment "disgusting". I wouldn't say its disgusting but maybe inappropriate.

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I cant see how this would be a solution, its just crazy, seriously if a male was to suck on a womans breasts, I would say that they would naturally get aroused,, WTF, sucking on a womans boobs would make a family bond? And will stop sexual thoughts!? I mean come on!! Maybe if the guy is a baby. But most definetly not past puperty.

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Obviously his interpretation, did you read the whole article? I'm not the expert, he is

A better question would be, did you read the article? His "interpretation" did not come from the "Koran" but a Hadith.

Hadiths are oral stories that have been passed down for many years, told by people who claim to have witness Muhammad saying or doing certain things. Muhammad strictly did not allow anyone to record anything but what he repeats from the Quran, because people would include their own teachings and their writings in Hadiths. Through time, people did start to include their own teachings, and the accuracy of a hundred years oral teachings was far from being 100% correct. This is why the Hadith was written over a hundred years later, previously being only taught as oral stories. Hadiths written also included teachings from non-Muslims, people who had no clear recollection of what happened, or people who wanted to include false teachings to hurt Islam.

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJMessiah

This is why I think its best for a muslim to not take hadiths as serious as the quran, they should only really follow the quran, not some other people who wrote some stuff? Hadiths in my opinion should be there only as a guide to have an idea about some stuff, but not to be taken to seriously because it could be all made up. A lot of trouble I see these days seem to be from muslims following hadiths and taking them too serious.

Mod edit: removed unnecessary quote of the entire preceeding post.

[edit on 2007/6/20 by Hellmutt]

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
A lot of trouble I see these days seem to be from muslims following hadiths and taking them too serious.

It's harram to hold the Hadith's teachings in same respect to the Quran. Some Muslims believe that the hadith is just as important as the Quran, which is not only harram but goes against the Quran's teachings, as well as Muhammad's.

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 11:16 PM
link   
OK, thanks for clarifying that DJMessiah, I stand corrected and updated my first comment.

[edit on 6/21/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 11:17 PM
link   
It doesn't matter if this is by the 'book' or not, it won't ever work in America. I know my wife, and most likely a lot of other wives, would have a few things to say about that.

Talk about going postal.

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by NGC2736
It doesn't matter if this is by the 'book' or not, it won't ever work in America. I know my wife, and most likely a lot of other wives, would have a few things to say about that.

I doubt it'd work with most American men either, except in the few cases your female coworkers are really hot.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join