It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Emotions are the root of all evil

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Let's face it, almost all problems and suffering is caused by out-of-control emotions. Few examples:

- man fears unknown and creates religion which causes many evil things later
- man is envy of something and steals or kills for it
- someone is afraid and insecure and starts to stockpile weapons
- religious people who are suppressing sexuality turn to perversions later or become insane
- greed makes some people grab as much as they can and leave others in poverty, in effect increasing crime rates and unneeded violence
- same greed makes sure society turns to dumbed down consumers

I am not saying we should eradicate all art and spiritual, but we should address this issue ASAP or else some religious nut with political power may start next global war.

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 04:41 PM
link   
And all the good things are from emotion too.

People are upset about something and fight to make it right.

People are driven to do good things by the same emotions that make them do bad things.

And how exactly would you stop somebody from having emotions anyway?

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Simple, we focus on good and effective, positive change. A lot of people prefer that over constant insecurity and fear, so this is not that hard to do.

Next thing we should do is to organize and start spreading positive view on the world and progress without superstitions and greed which is present today in politics and religious cults.

We need to show people how simple organization can make positive changes and eliminate all the bad factors from society, corporate influencing politics and clergy wanting World War 3 for some imaginary deity.

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Any Vulcan could have told you that
the pursuit of logic is more then satisfying, its peaceful
Peace, Livelong and Prosper

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Yes but what Vulcan cannot tell you is how to cause global change, while i have real plan. All i need is technical help and people involved.

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglelord
Any Vulcan could have told you that

It's too bad Vulcans only exist in fiction.

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 05:27 PM
link   
The world is ours to create, mine is logical and peaceful...
PS
Everyone says I have big ears....not pointed but big
hey its Dumbo

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 05:30 PM
link   
What utter tripe. How would you know what was good or evil without emotions?

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Vulcans have emotions...they just dont function at that level

except when its time to mate
I'm starting to feel like a salmon

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 06:02 PM
link   
How very true. This is precisely why I say that the soul, which dies with the physical body, is the emotional body of man.

Emotions is what causes men to act as they do. In extreme rage, they hurt others. In their hatred they commit atrocious deeds. In their anger they are contemptuous.

An emotional less individual is an individual that generally does not have a need to do dastardly deeds.

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 06:07 PM
link   
well when we talk emotions, even with ficticious Vulcans, there is always love

Spock gave his life for the good of the many out weight the good of the few or the one.

Emotions are fine when they are love centered with no strings attached.

Love your neighbour as yourself and the world is healed
Amen

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 11:00 PM
link   
good stuff jungelord, good stuff.

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Love is not always the answer. Too much love blinds you and when it stops it makes you hurt and irrational.

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 08:07 AM
link   
We are emotion driven creatures; you can't separate us from our emotions. The key is to control your emotions rather then allowing them to control you. Anger has caused social change; love has caused social change. If you don't feel what then will cause you to want to change your world for the better?

Logic working in tandem with emotion is what drives social change. Both must be present.

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by 64738
Love is not always the answer. Too much love blinds you and when it stops it makes you hurt and irrational.

To understand love we should use greek
that is eros love which denotes a sexual partner
not agape which is unconditional and applies to everyone
we do not have eros with our neighbour only agape.
cheers

[edit on 18-5-2007 by junglelord]

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by gallopinghordes
We are emotion driven creatures; you can't separate us from our emotions.

Really? Tell that to a "sociopath" or someone with "asberger's" syndrome.

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Agape can blind you too.

I think we shouldn't eliminate emotions but focus on good ones, increase 'humane' inside us and decrease hatred and war mongering. It's really simple to fix the world when you realize that.

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 11:02 PM
link   
To eliminate or diminish the negative basically rips the value from the positive. It is by our pains that we judge and value our joys. Love drives us to do great deeds, empathy aids us in consoling. Every single emotion has a place and purpose in the human spectrum, even the darker ones like rage and hatred; they often propel us away from that which inspires the emotion, leading to change.

An emotional less individual is an individual that generally does not have a need to do dastardly deeds.

And on the same token a person devoid of emotion has no reason to do good deeds either, because they can feel no satisfaction from doing good, not take joy in helping someone, they don't comprehend empathy and therefore cannot console a grieving friend or loved one.

It all boils down to exercising control and dominance over your range of emotions and knowing how best to use the energy created by them. Eliminating emotion only removes the human element from your personality at which point you are basically a robot.

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by 64738
Agape can blind you too.

yes we need to seperate the Needy from the Greedy so we are throwing pearls to swine
good point.

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Emotions arent the root of all evil, mans ignorance of how to control his emotions are the root of all evil.

People focus on the negative side of things, but about the good side. What about the emotions of joy, peace, happiness, love? This is the natural state of being anyways, thats why it feels so unnatural when we are stuck with emotions of fear, hate, guilt, resentment, envy, depression.

So I would say, the root of all negativity is imbalance. Imbalanced from the natural flow of things, your natural positive self.

E-motions, energy in motion, is the energy that creates our reality, and because we have allowed ourselves to let our emotions be the experiencer, rather than the creator, in our lives, we view the world as "we being effected by the outside" rather than our emotions effecting the outside, which is how things really work. Its also called the "victim mentality" the Im a victim of outer circumstances, aka I have no control over my life, which of course is completely not true. We control everything that happens in our lives, good or bad, and we have the power to change whatever we dont like by re-balancing ourselves with the highest vision.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join