It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran to Release 15 UK Sailors/Marines

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 03:27 PM
link   

One thing is for sure, the well being of the UK prisoners was a very regarded priority by the Iranians, something that we can not say when it comes to US treatment of prisioners.

My opinion is that remains to be seen. When they arrive home, they will be debriefed, and we will know what really went on behind closed doors.

Until then it was all just a big show.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
I have said it before and I'll say it again (I'm sure ya'll are tired of hearing it). Change in Iran will come from within. We have no need to attack. We have no need to do much of anything except support the youth of the country who want their MTV and blue jeans ... and who do not want the Imams.

On that I agree with you . . . but you got something wrong, when my husband was in the middle east, he said that these people have anything they want that is western due to the very well spread black market.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Iran got all it could out of the issue with their domestic base and it was beginning to really hurt them internationally.

I'm glad they had the sense to quit when they did before it got out of control.

It wasn`t hurting them in the slightest

they know exactly how long to play this and how to play it

direct comparson with american torture against Iranian hospitality - they knew that any longer *might* cause issues but 15 days is the right figure - not to short to be shown as weak at home and not to long to be shown as arrogant and non negotiating on the international scene

but obviously you think otherwise

[edit on 4/4/07 by Harlequin]

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin

It wasn`t hurting them in the slightest

they know exactly how long to play this and how to play it

Exactly they knew what they were doing and they just show to the rest of the world what is really going on with the so call war on terror and the spread of westernized type of democracy.

[edit on 4-4-2007 by marg6043]

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by zeeon
Cool beans.
I'm glad the prisoners are getting released.
I guess the bush-blair swinger-orgy will have to find another way to invade the middle east.

Is there authority for that? I hadn't heard this being used as a pretext for invasion.

And i love how the mass media is saying that no official exchange took place to facilitate the release of prisoners...

YEAH RIGHT! This guy says the release was already in the works, and the US government just decided to release iranian prisoners as well. Do they REALLY except me to believe that? Drug deals behind the scenes....
Atleast it did get the prisoners released

Of course there were no official talks... key word: "official."

-- UPDATE -- CNN just said the Iranian President is giving the prisoners Amnesty (contrary to a pardon, which was stated earlier) as a gift to the UK. Amnesty is a bit different than a pardon no?

I don't know legally how that washes out in Iran, but it seems that they were never charged with anything. Therefore I guess it doesn't make a difference.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Like everyone, I'm glad to see the Brits released even after some classic toadying from Blair. They seem to be looking okay

What surprises me is the mixed messages that have come out of Iran in the last two weeks. Were everyone in Iran singing from the same songsheet? Accept that it is their new year and the place has closed down.

Also let's not forget - the Brits are pulling out of Iraq - pretty soon (reducing numbers by 30%) so the capture may have sent the wrong message.

Like other people, I think Iran need a crisis so that the president can look outwards rather than his poor record within the country (and revolution could easily come from within). I don't think we (UK and US) supported the previous president as we should

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Well played by the Iranians.
Somehow they came out making themselves look like the reasonable party (the mullocracy is IMHO far from reasonable).

I never had much doubt these prisoners would be released unharmed.
This was a clever stunt and little more.

CX

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

One thing is for sure, the well being of the UK prisoners was a very regarded priority by the Iranians, something that we can not say when it comes to US treatment of prisioners.

It does make me chuckle every time i read a post about the nice treatment of the 15 brits, there lovely new clothes etc.

Do people not maybe think that there was a reason for these niceties?

Do you think Iran treats ALL detainees/prisoners/hostages or whatever you want to call them this way?

Alleged tresspassers do not get this decent treatment unless theres a damn good reason for it.

CX.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX
Alleged tresspassers do not get this decent treatment unless theres a damn good reason for it.

CX.

What is so difficult to see the agenda, will it be better if they had picture of the 15 prisoners in naked pyramid?

Will that made the image of evil despicable Iran better to digest?

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Togetic

I consider their statement that they are giving a "gift" to Britain is mocking the British people. I hope they see that.

Many of you people seem to be such fools for wanting war and raids to "free" these 15 strangers just because of a few tv appearences.

your intelligence seem to have deserted you all.

In Iranian hands these soldiers were safe from sniper,suicide bombers,mines and general attacks happening in Irak.

They were safe and having a great holiday.

In no danger from any attack.

Can you not see that?

Are you all blind or stupid or both?

They were completely safe.

These people thanks to Iran are world famous now.

Previously they were nobodies.

You could not buy that much free publicity.

When they come back they will treated like heros...

they will on every tv station...

every chat show....

they will be stars..

they will be writing books...

giving interviews....

they will be very rich...while you poor sods will be doing your daily grind....

they will be celebrities...

they will be on lecture tours....

sign autographs...

In other words thanks to the Iranians they will be rich and famous and be in history.

Thanks to the Iranians.

Remember that when you are in bed tonight staring at the ceiling in the dark.

[edit on 4-4-2007 by esecallum]

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Yeah, that sounds like some prapaganda BS, are you Iranian or something? Are you President Armajenwhatshisface?
No, even he knows that Iraq is spelt Iraq with a Q.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Actually I am American.

It was us Americans who saved you people from Hitler in ww1 and ww2.

I am saying that you should be grateful that we showed restraint as otherwise body bags could have come home to you folk from Irak.

And it's not BS.

Money is what powers the world and these 15 are now set for life.

They will be rich and famous.

Perhaps you are jelous of them.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Isn't the Iranian leadership made up of the same people who hijacked airliners and orchestrated the hostage situation in 1979?

These people haven't changed. They have an agenda, something up their sleeves and damn the British and American governments for not letting us know what it is and doing nothing about it.

Besides aren't there are other procedures to abide by when a foreign nation is in your waters? Do you simply "take" what you want when not at war with the nation?

Can anyone help me out on this?

Shattered OUT...

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 08:30 PM
link   

How is someone"pardoned"if they havent been convicted of a crime?Even with phony charges?Again i ask this board,Do you seriously believe this country is stable enough to have a nuclear program with the possibility of weapons production in this volitile region?

Lol , and how is some one pardoned by siting 3 years at guantanamo bay with out any charges, and then they just let them go, 3 years is nothing right?
There are people siting for years there with out any charges, I guess some one must set an example on the matter" Look at us, do the same"
Maybe the iranians are just copying the west
learn how to eat at mecdonalds and hold people iligaly.

[edit on 4-4-2007 by pepsi78]

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by makeitso
My opinion is that remains to be seen. When they arrive home, they will be debriefed, and we will know what really went on behind closed doors.

Until then it was all just a big show.

The first thing I said to anyone about the whole situation when it first broke out was: "this will only end in absurdity." And I must say, the performances today were pretty absurd. Nevertheless, Iran made the best possible decision.

Of course it was a show, but it was a shrewd one. If you think the show is over, you're sadly mistaken. The Iranian version of the show has ended its run. It's only just beginning in the West. Britain will parade them around on television too -- though it hopefully won't be as silly as the Iranian version. Don't even get me started on what American TV is going to do with this. The spin from Iran is going to look like child's play by comparison. And after that run is over?

Well, then America will probably make a movie about it, undoubtably with Angelina Jolie as Faye Turney, Russell Crowe as Tony Blair, Yakov Smirnoff as Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, and all Swedish actors for the remaining characters. We'll shoot the film in New Zealand. And people will pay to see it.

/tn.

[edit on 4-4-2007 by teleonaut]

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Iran played this well, very well, this provocation backfired on the Elite, thank God.

By letting them go, they effectively destroyed the whole game that was being played. For those who dont know, the British Ministry of Defense falsified the maps and falsified the GPS coordinates to show that they were in "Iraqi" waters.

People seem to forget that the boundary lines of the Persian gulf have never been officially agreed upon. Iran, Iraq, Kuwait and others, have been quarreling about this for a long time.

But, Iran knew it wasnt the sailors fault, they knew they were issued inaccurate maps, they knew it was a provocation. This already happened before, sailors were captured by Iran and were let go without an apology. This is the second time this has happened in 2 months.

I like the "gift" that Iran gave the West, a kick in the groin that spoils their war plans. Good.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfoo
Looks like he's trying to avoid getting bombed..

Yes exactly,
Kudos to the Iranian President for letting them go...
I'm very happy to see this situation calming down.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
Syria claims role in the release:

Syria: We Helped in Iran-Britain Dispute

DAMASCUS, Syria -- Syria played a key role in resolving the standoff over the 15 British sailors and marines held by Iran, two government officials said Wednesday.

"Syrian efforts and the Iranian willingness culminated with the release of the British sailors," said Information Minister Mohsen Bilal.

He said Syria had been asked "to help positively in the issue of British" crew members since their March 23 seizure by Iran in the Persian Gulf.

Hmmmmmmmm....

Syria.... syria..... wasnt Pelosi in Syria this week?

Seems like there might be more than one public relations coup scored from this one...

www.cbc.ca...

[edit on 4-4-2007 by vox2442]

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Oh man, is my prediction gonna come true? I sure hope so

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightWorker13
the British Ministry of Defense falsified the maps and falsified the GPS coordinates to show that they were in "Iraqi" waters.

and...

the boundary lines of the Persian gulf have never been officially agreed upon. Iran, Iraq, Kuwait and others, have been quarreling about this for a long time.

Both these comments are totally at odds with another.

If the Iranians don't even know where their waters start, how the hell can anyone else?
Why would British Ministry of Defence have to falsify the co-ordinates when you said yourself, Iran themselves don't know their waters co-ordinates.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join