It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran to Release 15 UK Sailors/Marines

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Iran to Release 15 Prisoners

Iran 'to release British sailors'

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad says 15 British naval personnel captured in the Gulf will be freed.
He repeated allegations that the British sailors and marines "invaded" Iranian waters, but said they would be freed as a "gift" to Britain.

He made the announcement at a news conference, in which he also awarded medals to the commanders who captured the British personnel in the Gulf.

(visit the link for the full news article)

EDIT:Link to Story thanks asen_y2k ; title

[edit on 2007/4/4 by JacKatMtn]

[edit on 4-4-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 08:18 AM
link   
will link to a story when one is available

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 08:22 AM
link   
BBC link- news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Ahmadinejad says "I have pardoned the 15 saliors and marines"

Reports that they will be taken to the airport, no time as of yet.

No report on how this has come about but the Iranian President was congratulating his country and awarded medals to the forces who captured the 15, and in honor of an Islamic holiday he was freeing the prisoners.

I will post a story as soon as 1 is available.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn

Yeah ... he 'pardoned' them from being illegally kidnapped from Iraqi (not Iranian) waters.

The sailors did nothing wrong - Ahmadinejad did. How 'big' of him to pardon the innocent sailors.

I'll believe that he's freed them once they are back in British hands.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I really found the part of Iran's Pres saying this is a "gift" to the Brits both a little funny, and a little disturbing at the same time.
What would be the point of that statement?

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 08:34 AM
link   
quick post

Iran's President Ahmadinejad says 15 UK detainees to be pardoned and freed

Ahmadinejad presents three border guards with medals for bravery

Ahmadinejad says 15 sailors and marines violated Iran's territorial waters

But he added: "The British should agree to their mistake and change their behaviour of before."

CNN

Well im very happy this is being resolved, however in reality the Iranians have won this. They have further divided the British and the US. The ability of the UN to deal with situations like this has been shown to be inept. Also that they can do pretty much what they want and get away with a Public Relations coupe (even if only for the domestic and supporting audiences.

Iran has provided materials that have killed British and American soldiers. they have propagated the chaos in Iraq and are now bent with wind in their sails to developing nuclear arms.

A sliver of a light in a dark situation. The calm before the storm I believe, it reminds me much of the pre war posturing and lies just before WW2 on both sides.

In addition from this time in our past appeasement was shown to be the worst thing the allies could have done against Hitler. We certainly seem to be appeasing this fu****g madman and lunatic.

Regards

Elf

PS I am a very committed pacifist at heart. I believe that the west has much to feel sorry for in this region for over 2000 years now. Reparations indeed. We created a lot of the problems of al queda, the stand off with Iran were the seeds were sown after the US administration switched sides to Iraq and Saddam years ago, and the subsequent slaughter of Iraqis by our countries. The issue of Israel is again our fault we have supported genocide and United nations defiance on their behalf since forming the state. However there is real danger here in giving a caged angry tiger time to slip away at night and return on his own ground to exact revenge.

edit ofr spelling - elf

[edit on 4-4-2007 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 08:35 AM
link   
To be freed at the end of his press conference.

Ahmadinejad said the British troops would be freed at the end of the press conference

www.foxnews.com...

Iran's state media reported that an Iranian envoy will be allowed to meet five Iranians detained by U.S. forces in northern Iraq since January.

A U.S. military spokesman in Baghdad said, however, that American authorities were still considering the request.

news.yahoo.com...

[edit on 4/4/07 by makeitso]

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Reuters

Iran says freeing 15 Britons as a "gift"
TEHRAN (Reuters) - Iran's president said on Wednesday Iran was releasing 15 detained British naval personnel as a "gift to the British people".

AP

Iranian Leader Says He'll Free Britons
TEHRAN, Iran (AP) -- President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said Wednesday that Iran would free the 15 detained British sailors and marines as a gift to the British people.

He pardoned the sailors and announced they would be released following a news conference at which he pinned a medal on the chest of the Iranian coast guard commander who intercepted the sailors and marines in the northern Gulf on March 23.

Now we need to know how this was accomplished......

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by JacKatMtn

Yeah ... he 'pardoned' them from being illegally kidnapped from Iraqi (not Iranian) waters.

The sailors did nothing wrong - Ahmadinejad did. How 'big' of him to pardon the innocent sailors.

I'll believe that he's freed them once they are back in British hands.
How is someone"pardoned"if they havent been convicted of a crime?Even with phony charges?Again i ask this board,Do you seriously believe this country is stable enough to have a nuclear program with the possibility of weapons production in this volitile region?

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 08:44 AM
link   
A Gift??? What kind of Gift an early Easter present.

One other story stated they were pardoned, how do you pardon someone for a crime they did not commit?

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by shots
A Gift??? What kind of Gift an early Easter present.

One other story stated they were pardoned, how do you pardon someone for a crime they did not commit?

There are going to be plenty of questions on how this release was secured, but at this time I am pleased with the news regardless of what the Iranian President says.

I too, am waiting for the 15 to touch down in the UK before I can feel great about there release.

ON Fox news: The captives will be released to the UK Embassy after the Iran presser.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 08:52 AM
link   
So,

Despite the fact, that these marines were violating Iran territory;

Despite the fact, that this was not the first incident of this time;

Desptie the fact, that MoD faked the maps to proove the location;

Despite the fact, that MoD faked the photo, to show the GPS data;

Despite the fact, that there are numerous western supported guerrilla groups operating in Iran;

People are still not satisfied with the ending of this "Drama"?

I wonder when was the last time a Gift of this kind was given by the Coalition in their mighty War on Terror.

Anyway - let us not rejoice to quickly and firstly wait for them to really get home.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I had said a few days ago that Iran would blink, and here we see that they have. It's not really a surprise, given the position that they are in in the international community.

I consider their statement that they are giving a "gift" to Britain is mocking the British people. I hope they see that.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I will wonder how about the HOW after they are all home and safe. It's excellent news though

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah

Desptie the fact, that MoD faked the maps to proove the location;

Despite the fact, that MoD faked the photo, to show the GPS data;

Is there any authority for any of these?

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah

No they weren't. Even the first statements out of Iran had their position well within Iraqi waters. FACT is .. they were illegally kidnapped from Iraqi waters. Period.

let us not rejoice to quickly and firstly wait for them to really get home

I agree. That leader in Iran is a major whack. It is wise not to get too excited until they are actually safe and in British hands.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 08:57 AM
link   

He repeated allegations that the British sailors and marines "invaded" Iranian waters, but said they would be freed as a "gift" to Britain.

i wonder what the real translation is an not one made for the headlines.

you need to understand the people and the inflection given upon a dialect before you can say `yes this is what he said` in english.

see sig.... what he said and what teh headlines were (and still are on fox when they bring it up) are somewhat different.

Iran won this the day they showed proper treatment of the troops on tv or otherwise they were not beaten or burnt

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Good on him for releasing them. It sure makes his image of being a crazy man hell bent on the destruction of westerners a little harder to believe. Maybe he aint so bad after all, maybe Iranians are just like everyone else too.

How could the west possibly go a head and bomb them now?

Oh thats right, they'll blow something up and blame it on Iran ....

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Burginthorn
Good on him for releasing them. It sure makes his image of being a crazy man hell bent on the destruction of westerners a little harder to believe. Maybe he aint so bad after all, maybe Iranians are just like everyone else too.

No he is still a little off kilter, this was probably ordered by the Supreme leader Khameini if I had to put some money on it.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join