It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran: No Need For A Trial

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Iran: No Need For A Trial

news.sky.com

Iran says it wants to solve the crisis over the 15 British military personnel by "diplomatic means" and sees no need to put the troops on trial.

Iran's chief international negotiator Ali Larijani told Channel 4 that Iran's priority "is to solve the problem through proper diplomatic channels."

"We are not interested in letting this issue get further complicated," he said.

He called for a delegation "to review the case, to clarify the case, first of all - to clarify whether they have been in our territorial waters at all".
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 02:57 PM
link   
This is very good news. It looks like the pressure was on to avoid a trial, and maybe with that clarification comment, they may have their way out.

news.sky.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I actually see this as a bad thing. What do the want in return? As we all know from the six party talks, diplomatic negotiations can take an eternity to even make minor progress. Really seems to me like they are attempting to use the sailors as a tool for some leverage they didn't have two weeks ago.

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Let them have their pride like they mean something. If you start going "ahaha they cracked under the pressure" and make them out to be weaklings they are going to act out.

I hope the leaders play this right, treat them with respect, and manage to get things resolved. I don't say give them respect because they deserve it, give it to them because at the end of the day it will benefit us all much more. Well everyone but those that will make money off the coming war.

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 03:39 PM
link   
people have missed the part in which he says, that england must comply with what they want. he wants england to stop being irrational.

its all public relations, and iran is winning that so far, and the british are under pressure to give them what they want.

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 04:11 PM
link   

I hope the leaders play this right, treat them with respect, and manage to get things resolved. I don't say give them respect because they deserve it, give it to them because at the end of the day it will benefit us all much more. Well everyone but those that will make money off the coming war

Agrees with you, lets hope our leaders plays this one right, wait until after, the servicemen/women are home, then let it rip on Iran.

Who is to say this is not going to happen again in the future, Hopefully once this is all over, the MoD will change the rules of engagement.

people have missed the part in which he says, that england must comply with what they want. he wants england to stop being irrational.

its all public relations, and iran is winning that so far, and the british are under pressure to give them what they want.

First of all, I think it was Great Britian he was refferring too and NOT ENGLAND

Im really glad you really think that Iran is winning the public relations war, no one in the west believes the footage that they
Iran have shown on their T.V., or what comes out of thier mouths. So forgive me if I disagree with you comment.... Iran is not winning
the Public Relations war.....

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 04:18 PM
link   
spencerjohnstone- i choose to use the word english, because at heart the uk just measn england when we talk about uk on the international stage. it is londons view that is projected out.

britain are being seen as weak in this, and this is why the iranians are saying they do not want to go to trial, he never ruled it out. iran has the upper hand, and britain knows it.

one has to wonder though, would america attack iran while there are still britains held hostage there, with regard to the nuclear issue?

if usa attacked iran while they had the hostages, iranians would want there government to put them on trial, and it may get bad.

it just all depends when usa or israel, want to take out there nuclear facilities.

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 05:24 PM
link   
personally, i dont see britain as being seen as weak on this at all. they are trying to resolve this diplomatically, which we should all agree, is better than sending in the SAS. does anyone (the public i mean) REALLY want another shooting war?

now, should any harm come to those sailors then may god help iran, cuz then even i would support knocking the piss out of iran.

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by bluesquareapple
I actually see this as a bad thing. What do the want in return? As we all know from the six party talks, diplomatic negotiations can take an eternity to even make minor progress. Really seems to me like they are attempting to use the sailors as a tool for some leverage they didn't have two weeks ago.

The Iranians have already got what they wanted. They got to release media footage of Coalition personnel 'admitting' they did wrong. This footage was then handed out freely to the so-called 'Arab street'.

And presto, Iran is seen as the good guys who made the West admit wrongdoing.

Like I said, Iran has already got what it wanted.

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 06:57 PM
link   

I actually see this as a bad thing. What do the want in return?

You made a very good point there. This does take me back to the last time the state took prisoners. Among other things they got fifty tons of gold bullion. In the end when the sailors get out I do think there will also be a large transfer of wealth.

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Yeah well, if Iran is as devious as they appear to be, they'll put each one of those hostages as a human shield at separate important facilities- those that are likely to be attacked. 15 of em.

At least they'll make it cost the UK some meat to bomb their facilities. Because that is all soldiers are any more to the ruling profiteers. Meat.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 05:03 AM
link   

I actually see this as a bad thing. What do the want in return?

That is a good point and Iran could easily change their mind again like they have done before in this crisis. And Iran is now saying we have started new negotiations, which the UK denies, but says talks have been more positive.

news.bbc.co.uk...
Britain and Iran should be able to end the stand-off over the capture of 15 Royal Navy personnel by negotiating, a senior Tehran official has said.

Ali Larijani, of the Supreme National Security Council, told state radio the issue would be resolved if the two countries "continue this path".

UK Prime Minister Tony Blair said the next 48 hours was "fairly critical".

I would like to think that progress is being made here but with President Ahmadinejad canceling todays press conference (it should be tomorrow instead), I wonder what, if anything, will happen next. And we still have not heard from Ayatollah Ali Khamenei on what his Revolutionary Guards did.

news.sky.com...
The Iranian President has cancelled a news conference in which he was expected to comment on the Navy personnel.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Also note the other side to the images shown - Iran treats its prisoners fairly and in accordance to the geneva conventions - they see on the tv daily the treatments of Iraqi`s (and those in quantanamo bay) by the american troops.

and now swap that for the well fed (and given cigerettes) images of the British troops.

They have allready won this battle in the propaganda war.

and its not to hard for them to string together an hours worth of images of american troops doing `naughty` things in iraq - google can do that for you as can the cnn website.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Actually if Iran was treating the prisoners in accordance with conventions they would not be displayed on television.
It is also still early in this situation, so plenty more can happen.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 06:37 AM
link   
hmmmm - someone chatting on tv smoking , vs being dragged along hooded and shackled on tv.... who did what i wonder

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Also note the other side to the images shown - Iran treats its prisoners fairly and in accordance to the geneva conventions

I don't think Iran is treating these hostages "nice" because they're overall nice guys. I'd bet you a lot of money they're treating them nice because they know they would be risking getting an Arse Whoopin' if they did otherwise.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 07:08 AM
link   
no - they did the same thing last time , treated them fairly in difference to the west`s treatment of prisoners

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
no - they did the same thing last time , treated them fairly in difference to the west`s treatment of prisoners

I wouldn't class putting them through fake executions as treating them "fairly"

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 07:15 AM
link   
News just in through ap news networks, Iraqi foreigh minister, seeking release of 5 Iranians held by Americans in Iraq, possibly linking those 5 held with the 15 servicemen/women being held in Iran.

The UK Gov is trying to play this down..... saying the UK's/Irans problems has nothing to do with those detained by the US.

Coinsedence that an Iranian Diplomat was released this morning?

This week is becomming more and more interesting....

Will post link as I get it..

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 07:51 AM
link   
New Hope for brits

"Speaking to Channel 4 News last night, Ali Larijani, chief of the Iranian National Security Council, indicated the fourteen men and one woman would not face a show trial.

Today, Iranian radio cited Mr Larijani saying that the British Government has started diplomatic talks with the foreign ministry in Teheran in order to "resolve the issue of the arrest of the British military personnel."

He suggested that Britain would need to send a diplomatic delegation to Teheran, admit that its Navy had made a mistake by straying into Iranian waters and guarantee that the error would not be repeated.

The Prime Minister said the remarks seemed to offer "some prospect but the most important thing is to get these people back."

why are they saying this is new hope ? there is no way the uk will go back on its word and say they were in fact in Iranian waters. this changes nothing

top topics

<<   2 >>

join