It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK troops captured by Iran

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muppetus Galacticus
Is there much chance of terrorists and radicals, that come from home and abroad, taking up support of Iran?

probably,
but only a small amount.

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Interesting that the following report would surface now, timing is everything it seems...

Military confirms attack by Iranian forces last year

BAGHDAD The U-S military is confirming that Iranian soldiers attacked American troops last year in Iraq's volatile Diyala province.

Citing an Army report from Iraq, U-S News and World Report says the troops were working with Iraqi border guards when a much larger Iranian unit attacked last September. It reports that the Iranians were on the Iraqi side of the border when they fired rocket-propelled grenades and small arms. No Americans were hurt, but four Iraqi soldiers, an interpreter, and a border policeman remain missing.

Visit the above link for the full article.

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Interesting, very interesting...

this even comes when British generals have accused Iranian troops of supplying terrorist in Southern Iraq to attack British troops, plus Israel has accused Iran of still supplying Hezbollah.

The lines have been drawn.

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 04:13 PM
link   
another way to look at this,

Iran expects an attack on them. so by capturing British troops, it may prolong any military strike in theory.

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 04:15 PM
link   
For the record the story in my post above broke just about an hour ago, and was only available on local news sites, now its spreading:

See for yourselves:

Google News Results Link

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by UM_Gazz
For the record the story in my post above broke just about an hour ago, and was only available on local news sites, now its spreading:

See for yourselves:

Google News Results Link

again

this is interesting,
i've put my TV on FOX to see if they will say anything. but now we might have two reasons to go to war with Iran.

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Diplomats MAY get access "at some later stage", which could be anytime between now and never.

ca.today.reuters.com...
BERLIN (Reuters) - Iran is considering charging 15 British sailors and marines with illegally entering its waters, but said on Sunday it may give consular access to the navy personnel once the investigation into the incident is completed.

An Iranian official said Mottaki told British Foreign Secretary Margaret Beckett in a telephone call that Iran may give British diplomats access to the detained sailors at some later stage.

Also, no confirmation of where they could actually be held

ca.today.reuters.com...:2007-03-25T195907Z_01_L24244902_RTRIDST_0_NEWS-IRAN-BRITAIN-COL.XML& pageNumber=1&summit=
Iran's semi-official Fars news agency reported on Saturday that the 15 sailors and marines had been transferred to Tehran. This has not been independently confirmed.

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
another way to look at this,

Iran expects an attack on them. so by capturing British troops, it may prolong any military strike in theory.

I Don't think Iran expects an attack on themselves yet. I suspect, although they don't know the game of chess, they can read the negotiation and sanctions time game as with Iraq during the nineties.

Seems to me their being brutal in a need to be noticed by abducting people. Wondering are they desperate and possibly knowing they may be in a no-win situation?

Dallas

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 04:11 AM
link   
We will see if the diplomats will get access to see those british serviemen an one woman.....

If they are refused access, we can expect a rise in tensions....

I Don't think Iran expects an attack on themselves yet. I suspect, although they don't know the game of chess, they can read the negotiation and sanctions time game as with Iraq during the nineties

If ya think nothing will, happen if the Iranians do decide to go ahead with court trials on those servicemen/women, I can gurantee ya, the British Public, will be asking for something to be done against Iran....

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Iraq's foreign minister has joined in the calls for their release. How much weight, if any, that could carry is anyone's guess.

news.bbc.co.uk...
Iraq's foreign minister has urged his Iranian counterpart to free 15 Royal Navy personnel captured four days ago.

Iran says they could be charged with illegally entering Iranian waters.

But in a telephone call on Sunday night Iraqi foreign minister Hoshiyar Zebari told Iran's Manoshahr Mutakki that the Britons were in Iraqi waters.

And the word is that Iran has not talked about release or any kind of exchange. Nor is there any sign of access being granted.

news.bbc.co.uk...
BBC security correspondent Gordon Corera said that in a telephone call with Mrs Beckett, Mr Mottaki said consular access was not likely until the initial investigations had been concluded.

Our correspondent said the Iranians were not yet thought to have hinted at any kind of deal or exchange to secure the release of the British personnel.

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Associated Press

Iran said Tuesday the 15 British sailors and marines it detained last week are healthy, have been treated in a humane manner and that the only female sailor among them had been given privacy.

"They are in completely good health. Rest assured that they have been treated with humanitarian and moral behavior," Mohammad Ali Hosseini, a spokesman for the Foreign Ministry, told The Associated Press.

Hosseini said the 26-year-old female sailor, Faye Turney, had complete privacy. "Definitely, all ethics have been observed," he said.

Hosseini would not say where the Britons were being kept and reiterated that their case is under investigation.

"The case should follow procedures," Hosseini said. "Media hyperbole will not help" speed resolution of the case.

Answer to this;

Iran To Torture British Marines?

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Well,

the last lots ot be captured complained of having their heads dunked into water...which doesn't really come under "treated fairly". Lets not forget fake executions too.

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 08:05 AM
link   
What, the Iranians sent them to Gitmo?

Sorry, it was a one liner, I couldn't resist...

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Tbh UK/USA haven't exactly set a very good example of the ethics guidelines we are following in these times. I hope to god that our people aren't tortured, but if they are then we can't exactly stand up and say "hey that's unfair, we never mistreat anyone that we capture!"

The fact is though that if any of those sailors are harmed Britain is going to go mental, politically and publicly. And I can't see Iran backing down now either...

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by malganis
Tbh UK/USA haven't exactly set a very good example of the ethics guidelines we are following in these times. I hope to god that our people aren't tortured, but if they are then we can't exactly stand up and say "hey that's unfair, we never mistreat anyone that we capture!"

Name one instance where UK marines tortured a foriegn national and got away with it?

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp

Name one instance where UK marines tortured a foriegn national and got away with it?

It doesn't matter if we got away with it or not, we've still done it. Which means that other nations won't exactly feel obliged to follow humane treatment guidelines, because we don't.

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 11:48 AM
link   

It doesn't matter if we got away with it or not, we've still done it. Which means that other nations won't exactly feel obliged to follow humane treatment guidelines, because we don't.

You forget what I mean: Name one instance where those people have used APPROVED means and NOT been prosectuted. I for one cant name one instance where in the last 10 years we have used torture as a means to gain intelligence. The only ones I know of are those of random soldiers trying to deal with the situation they are in.

CX

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Breaking news being reported on Sky News at the moment, Turkish diplomats are saying that they may be able to see the 15 captured British personell soon.

Will post link as it comes.

Hopefully this will be possible and at least someone outside of Iran can guaruntee they are being treated ok.

CX.

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 07:56 AM
link   
CX - heres a link for your info

hosted.ap.org...

BREAKING:

British Sailors are going to be paraded on TV????

This is not good

This seems a direct response to The UK go Freezing assets to Iranian officials,

[edit on 28-3-2007 by asala]

hosted.ap.org...

CX

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Thanks for the link asala

Not good news about the parading of the troops on tv, but i'll keep my optimistic head on and remember the last lot were also paraded on tv but released later back in 2004.

Fingers crossed anyway.

I guess the female member of the detained group will be in for a major question time from the highest level if she is released.

CX.

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join