It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time Speeding Up

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Thank you all for the comments thus far, I agree that our perception of time is one important component. Its like as a child every thing appears huge but as we get older it s not the same.

Many good points have been mentioned but what I do find interesting is that the members who have posted are from a young age to around my age and yet we are all experiensing the same thing. If a 17 year old in America feels like time is flying by how does that equate to myself at 51 years living in the UK.

Is it possible that the Earths rotational speed is slowing down/speeding up, we know the Sun goes through many cycles and these events affect the Planets orbiting around it. Does a change in the Suns frequency alter our perception of time or does it actually affect the Earth.

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 11:21 AM
link   
A wise man once said:

If you keep looking at the clock, time will slow down. Ignore the clock, and time will fly.

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Its possible that gravity waves could alter the passage of time, ala A.E., but as we are embedded in the continum we would not be aware of it.

I've just done a ten hour shift. It didnt pass any quicker (for me) than when I was twenty (quarter century ago).
Speaking as an old fogey, I don't feel time is passing any faster, but I do find theres an awful lot of stuff I want answers too, and those answers never seem to come, and theres only a limited amount of time to find them in this life.

Boredom slows your perception of the passage of time, where as its easy to lose two/three/four + hours surfing, or boozing, or doing anything you really enjoy.

Try to be aware of every second, minute, hour, day, etc. - fill your life with good things whenever you can.
And don't be surprised if halucinogens alter you perception of reality!

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I once saw some graffitti near a roadside which read

'Sleep, Commute, Work,' with an infinity symbol painted directly below it.

It always stuck with me as it seems to sum up for me what most of our
lifes have been condensed to in the modern world.

I work a six day week including two nights, I have very little 'free' time,
If you were to ask me what I did on ay given date last month or even last week I would struggle to recollect. This worries me.
Time does indeed seem to be passing us by, I go along with the idea
that when you are a youngster a day seems like a week and it seems as though you will never be a 'grown up'.

Time has always been an obsession of mine, no matter how happy any certain activity makes you, because we are constantly moving on so to speak, everything we see as things that bring us happiness become really just constant memories, not sure I'm making sense here but it's how I feel and I'm glad this thread was created by the OP.

[edit on 23-2-2007 by pmexplorer]

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I am constantly noticing how fast time is passing!

Even doing things I don't care for the time still rushes by. I don't particularly love my job yet it seems the work week goes by in a flash. It never fails to freak me out when the week goes by so fast.

I can only attribute it to getting older and time running out. I think once I passed 40 suddenly everything sped up.

Also, it is very seldom that someone my age sees something new. TV and movies all look rehashed and nothing really amazes me anymore. I also dread changing my routine as I desperately want to hold on to every moment. I fear wasting valuable time going to the store or being stuck in traffic. More and more I want to have control over how I spend my time. It's almost obsessive.

I think about it every day!

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I don't know why everyone keeps saying "time goes faster as you get older."

I'm only 18 and time seems to be flying by for me.

This week flew by for me, almost like a blur. It's seems like Monday was just yesterday. Seriously, it seemed like a blur, it's almost like I teleported from Monday to Friday in a flash, really weird.

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I know what you mean, jbondo, but sometimes you have to look closer at the things you take for granted to find renewed interest. I agree that our multimedia world is awfully dull - artificial, superficial, stilted. Look beyond it at the (dare I say?) miracles of existance.

Thats why we are on here, isn't it? because we don't want the opiate entertainment doled out to keep the masses calm and cowed. we want to quest for a deeper truth. Yeah, times always going to pass, but surely if there is a meaning to it all, its an acceptable fact of life.

I have yet to understand the fascination with mobile phones, yet the younger generation seem to think they are most essential. Your peers judge you by how good your cell is! They have to have cloths with the right label, or your a zero, and the ultimate in cusine is a big mac.

I weep that our children have been turned into such good little consumers, and Im not surprised that their perception of time is dulled. They are taught to fixate on ephemeral trivia. Whats worse its competitive, you can never have enough, and what you have needs upgrading.
We are all hamsters running around in our little individual wheels - stop running, start thinking, and maybe the wheel slows down.

[edit on 23-2-2007 by The great unknown]

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Not sure if time is speeding up, but it is claimed the universe is, which means we are going faster and faster, getting closer and closer to the speed of light, which increases density..........which could explain a few Posters on ATS

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Does not time go faster when you having fun? Well thats what I got told...

[edit on 23-2-2007 by Id123]

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I haven't read the entire thread yet, but do you think the feeling of time passing faster is just a natural process? The reason I say that is, because my grandparents have mentioned how time goes by faster the older you get. Like you realize how short life really is? Im not saying that it's not possible that maybe time is going by faster, but just throwing my 2 cents in.

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Actually, some weeks do seem to fly by more than others. This has happened thoughout my whole life but my last 2 months have been normal. Not to say they have not been fast for you but that is the way it is I guess. I am 25 and I can gaurantee that thinking back to 19 seems so long ago but so near as well. I guess... just my opinion. :|

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 08:37 PM
link   
The Hopi (I think it was Hopi) indians of America have prophecies that speak of the 'quickening'. This will be one of the signs that we are reaching end times. Time will appear to speed by us, to the point where even the children will notice it. This idea also appears to parallel the Mayan calander, in that some momentous event will occur at the end of 2012.
Opinions vary as to what will happen, many forsee the end of the world, others claim that there will be a lot of death, and natural disasters, the human race will be decimated but a new era will dawn with more enlightened humans enacting an age of peace and reason.
A quick google search will yield plenty of pages about this topic.

Personally, I think there has to be something to it. My own perception has been that 'time' has gotten quicker. This is due to a varity of things already mentioned in this thread (age, technology etc.), but that does not discount the prophecies at all.
The cause is not the concern for me, rather the fact that it seems to indicate that there may be some weight added to the prophecies. A lot of predictions from all over the world seem to be coming together, pointing to a single event that will change the world.

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 09:22 PM
link   
if time is speeding up, then it is happening for everyone at the same time. this includes grandparents and children and cesium clocks. it is my personal belief that a portion of human consciousness resides "beyond" or "above" time. therefore, conscious perception is one of the only valid methods of measuring an increase in the time constant. the following excerpt describes another possible method...

>

check out the rest of it at the website. there is no doubt to *my* conscious perception that time is, in fact, speeding up.

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Is our perception of time however related to the amount of, or frequency of sleep we obtain?
For example I often work between a 42 and sometimes fifty hour week, due to the unsocial hours of my job, I find it hard to settle into a normal sleep pattern and have suffered with insomnia for the most part of my life.
Imo, people who are able to wake early say for example between 6 and 7am
who go to bed routinely before midnight and who receive a healthy amount of sleep (say 8 hours) perhaps feel they get more out of their day and in turn do not feel as if time is passing them by as much as others, it makes sense to me that the less amount of time you spend being active or up and about during a day the faster it's going to feel as if time is passing you by.

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by tgidkp
if time is speeding up, then it is happening for everyone at the same time. this includes grandparents and children and cesium clocks. it is my personal belief that a portion of human consciousness resides "beyond" or "above" time. therefore, conscious perception is one of the only valid methods of measuring an increase in the time constant. the following excerpt describes another possible method...

>

check out the rest of it at the website. there is no doubt to *my* conscious perception that time is, in fact, speeding up.

Sweet, nice find, guess we'll just sit back and enjoy the show.

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Here are some links to what we are learning about the perception of time in the fields of physics, neurology, and neuropsychology.

Duke News

How long is a split second...

newscientist also has some great podcasts on our perception of time and on how it changes. They can be dled for free from numerous RSS sites and podcasting sites.

The brain, circadian rhythms, and clock genes

Heres one about an optical light cue possibly being used in one of our many internal clocks. Many of which are in fact subject to outside stimuli.
Scientists shed new light on the body's internal clock

From the National Institute of Mental health, the "OFFICIAL" statement on internal clocks. How biological clocks work
And if your really interested here is a compeling article on the Mind - brain phenomenon

QUANTUM PHYSICS IN NEUROSCIENCE AND PSYCHOLOGY: A NEUROPHYSICAL MODEL OF MIND/BRAIN INTERACTION

[edit on 23-2-2007 by Elsenorpompom]

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by ilandrah
The Hopi (I think it was Hopi) indians of America have prophecies that speak of the 'quickening'. This will be one of the signs that we are reaching end times. Time will appear to speed by us, to the point where even the children will notice it. This idea also appears to parallel the Mayan calander, in that some momentous event will occur at the end of 2012.
Opinions vary as to what will happen, many forsee the end of the world, others claim that there will be a lot of death, and natural disasters, the human race will be decimated but a new era will dawn with more enlightened humans enacting an age of peace and reason.
A quick google search will yield plenty of pages about this topic.

Personally, I think there has to be something to it. My own perception has been that 'time' has gotten quicker. This is due to a varity of things already mentioned in this thread (age, technology etc.), but that does not discount the prophecies at all.
The cause is not the concern for me, rather the fact that it seems to indicate that there may be some weight added to the prophecies. A lot of predictions from all over the world seem to be coming together, pointing to a single event that will change the world.

Good post.....just when i thought this thread was going nowhere someone
posted an idea i have never seen. Kinda scary actually

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Relativity
Touch a hot pan and a second can feel like an hour. touch a hot women and a hour can feel like a second.
It all relitive. (Preacher)

(Taken from some shark movie I saw the other day but it fits this discussion.)

posted on Oct, 20 2007 @ 05:46 PM
link   

it also feels like time is moving wayyy faster than it used to. A day and a week flies by in the blink of an eye. Time is just moving so rapidly and everyone I've discussed this with pretty much agrees. Rasputin13
(as quoted from another thread)

I read this in another thread and because it is something my husband and I debate and discuss a lot, it peaked my interest.

I searched the archives and ATS did not let me down. I thought I would pull this thread back up to the front pages in case any other noobs, such as myself, were interested. I was looking for one in the Science and Technology Forum and I found a few, but they were entirely too smart for me to follow!

[edit on 20/10/07 by kosmicjack]

posted on Oct, 20 2007 @ 05:48 PM
link   
It is true time is speeding.

If time ALONE was speeding it would not seem as such. It is the rate of the rate of time speeding, this we can notice. I have been on to this for some time. Some speculate it began in 1999.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join