It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time Speeding Up

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I have been quite concious for some time now that time as we know it appears to be speeding up. Have others noticed this, days and weeks appear to be flying by.

Is this just a natural Earth process or is it something in the water so to speak, people I know have said similar things, is it just our lives speeding up or is their a real reason for it. I must say that even when on Holiday chilling out its just the same. Any idea's?

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Well, I think this has been discussed before.

Anyway, I will say that it does indeed seem like we are rushing towards some kind of a climax. Whether that is in fact reality or just all in the mind is a matter of conjecture.

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I agree with the OP, time does seem to be passing faster than usual.

Good thread!

CHEERS

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Surely in order to make such an observation such as time speeding up you would have to observing it from the outside and not affected by it yourself, if that makes sense?

Perspective of time changes as you age.

To someone aged 50, 1 year would represent 2% of their lives, however to a 10 year old it would be 10%, if that makes sense aswell?

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Well Jeez MAGICMUSHROOM, I wonder what your problem might be?

[edit on 22-2-2007 by Awake and All Seeing]

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 08:08 PM
link   
It's weird, but I've been entertaining this thought for a while as well.

I don't even know how to begin to get my head around the mechanics of this one.

I had written it off as a symptom of ageing.

If anyone has any theories as to how this could even be possible, I for one would love to hear them.

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I did find a website once based on this theory and to be honest felt it too.

Also I think time speeds up when you are older in the mind. As a kid time drags on as everything is boring.

But also if you look at how music has spead up how movies are quickly edited or movies don't seem to last long, well except LOTHR of course but even this decade it's like going quick. If everything is relative in time only the mind can feel the difference in speed. Time flys when you dream in bed maybe we are more tired we sleep more so time seems shorter. Who knows. I wonder does transport change time around us? like planes and cars by going at fast speeds does that effect us?

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I think it's a lot more simple than all of that.

What takes longer.
The trip there, or the trip back?
Familiarity speeds up recognition and alters your perception of time.

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I think its a combination of all of your theories.............aging, familiarity, technology

Time flies when your having fun so stop having fun

[edit on 2/22/2007 by Frank Black]

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 09:33 PM
link   
think back to a childhood memory, be it 10 or 15 years ago. you're going right back to that memory... rather than taking a trip down the memory highway, you're 'teleporting' there in a sense. if you could see everything you did it back to that point it would be a really long time, but it's not because you are just flipping to that one page, ya dig?

so if you think hey, time sure is moving fast, then there is a good chance your mind will think that.

however, one time on the way to the gym i had that rap music playing and i was thinking, wow, this guy sure can rap fast. however, after coming out exhausted i listened on the way home and it just seemed.... waaaay slower, it was pretty weird. it's cool how we perceive time eh

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 09:36 PM
link   

however, one time on the way to the gym i had that rap music playing and i was thinking, wow, this guy sure can rap fast. however, after coming out exhausted i listened on the way home and it just seemed.... waaaay slower, it was pretty weird. it's cool how we perceive time eh

Hey, that's happened to me before too, but I was listening to rock music.

I wonder why that is?

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I think we all fall into a pattern of our lives which makes it seem time is really going faster than it should. I'm in one of those patterns now. Let me explain.

Every morning the alarm clock goes off at the exact same time and (just like in the movie Groundhog day) the announcer says the same thing, Only he says, "It's time for the wheel of fun!"

I get up and go and do the exact same thing that i've been doing for five years now. It's as if my life is on autopilot and I'm just along for the ride.

One day I wake up and it is Friday and I'm happy that Friday has arrived. The next moment it's Monday morning and I have the blahs...but the next moment it's Friday again...It is as if I'm living from Fridays to Mondays and everything in between is a blur.

There is only one thing that can change this....me.

But to answer your question, yea, time seems to be speeding by. I just think it's because of the pattern of familiarity.

[edit on 22-2-2007 by mrwupy]

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Ever since I got a new place to live, I didn't get cable hooked up, nor satellite.

Its just cost too much for too little.

I've never felt better, however, I too have noticed my days flying by.

Weekends don't ever seem to be the long weekends I enjoyed before.

What is time anyway? Just our observation? Take off your watch when you get home in the evenings, hide your clocks from your vision and things slow down again.

This is my theory.

I get all my news and entertainment over the internet. Who really needs TV?

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 10:15 PM
link   
You people need to spend more time in waiting rooms and long lines.

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy
But to answer your question, yea, time seems to be speeding by. I just think it's because of the pattern of familiarity.

Yes, this is true. Have you ever noticed sometimes? Let's say you are going to a place either you drive or someone else will drive you, it seems faster when you are on the way back from where you come from than on the way to a destination. (most cases, going to a destiation for the first time)

Maybe because of the familiarity of the road & other landmark.

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by searching_for_truth

Originally posted by mrwupy

Yes, this is true. Have you ever noticed sometimes? Let's say you are going to a place either you drive or someone else will drive you, it seems faster when you are on the way back from where you come from than on the way to a destination. (most cases, going to a destiation for the first time)

Maybe because of the familiarity of the road & other landmark.

Or it could be the anticipation of getting to the destination. I know my trip to work is longer then it is home because I dont want to go to work. I know my trip to a party takes forever, but my trip home I don't remember its like stepping in the car and out of the car. With a DD of course!

A schedual really can make time go faster.. if you have nothing new, nothing exciting, nothing to look forward to .. trust me I know.. being in college full time, working full time, it is school, work, sleep, school, work, sleep repeat. So if you know whats going to happen at exactly 3:30 or 4pm on thursday 6 weeks from now.. what is there to look forward to? .. And so your life slips by. This is why capitalist industrial nations have the highest levels of depression, because our way of life is to ridgid, to uniform for our human nature, we end up feeling trapped, contained within society, unable to express your self, unable to pick up and go, make your own schedual, be able to breath fresh air or avoid traffic jams every day to work.
All in the persuit of happiness, prosperity and freedom I think we lost touch with our spiritual side .. and its suffering is making life seem like it just flies by.

But it also at the same time feels like we are being propelled towards something, some unknown, an event maybe, a time or age, an event that could harm the soul.. who knows.. but there is two kinds of anticipation, the kind you feel when its your birthday expecting a surprise party, or when someone hands you a gift.. and then the kin dof anticipation that you feel when you dread something, when you know your going to get hit or something.. I relate it to when I played hockey and would be pinned down by the boards and could see a big guy out of the corner of my eye coming right at me.. I personally think we betrayed our spiritual side, we abandoned our history, we raped our cultures, we turned people into machines and some event will correct it.

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 11:12 PM
link   
i think brain wave frequency (HZ's)has a large impact on our perception of time

for instance someone in the beta state who is fully focused often is able to intently perform a job with little distraction. think of being focused anyone take adderall it seems that time just fly's by i.e u just studied for two hours and didn't realize it was that long

now take some one who is in the alpha state (where i like to spend my time) though the use of supplements u can relax more ( not making recommendations) just personal experience that L-theanine or 5 htp can slow your hz down pretty much anything that increases gaba and serratonin in the brain seem to work for me

now i am pretty creative, and you would not believe the difference in not only your critical thinking skills but ability to shrug things off when u slloooww down and take the time to process things without being overwhelmed also it seems to make time sloow down which can be a good thing

now as far as a large group of people that beleive there perception of time is speeding up then possibly the energy's effecting this earth are increasing (preparing us for something?) which would mean perhaps the resonanse of this planet is increasing due to changes in the galaxy and may be having an effect on our consciusness and raising our (hz) levels

coincidentally beta levels are not only associated with focus but also being scatter brained and uneasy

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 11:14 PM
link   
My mama also said that the older you get the faster time goes by, and indeed it does..

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 11:23 PM
link   
wow, some of you people think way too much into things! not saying that's a bad thing, but some of it is funny to me.

koka gave you all the answer right away.

the older you get, the faster time seems to go by. this is everyone's perception.

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 11:27 PM
link   
well someone asked for a theory and that is mine

please avoid blanket statements "everyone's"

[edit on 22-2-2007 by cpdaman]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join