It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christmas Trees Removed From Sea-Tac

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 12:53 AM
link   
In the past, when were Christmas trees a problem? It's a freakin decoration, it's being there does you no harm.

And, since when is any Holiday decoration a problem? Decorations are a tradition and some people enjoy them, no matter what holiday it is.

What kind of intolerant country are we turning into?

I'm going to show you how silly this whole thing is....

If we want to continue on this path of intolerance, let's just stop decorating anything. And I better not catch a football fan wearing their favorite team's jersey, because we wouldn't want to upset an opposing team fan. And when you go to the football game, I had better not see anything but neutral colors, because we don't want to upset the fans of the opposing team. And take those bumper stickers off of your car too. And don't you dare chear at the football game when your team wins the game. No open celebration, because this might make the other fans mad. Just sit your rump down and watch the game like a statue.

And lets get rid of logos on vehicles. I'm a Ford driver. That Chevy emblem upsets me when I see people drive it. Chevy vehicles are crap, according to me. So what I say goes! Better yet I want Chevy vehicles banned in front of my house, and I'll work to get them taken off the streets.

And let's stop these annoying 4th of July fireworks, because I hate them. I don't want to celebrate it and neither should anybody else. I shouldn't be forced to hear the exposions going off.

And better yet let's issue the whole population of the US with standard, drab non-unique uniforms, so no one gets offended by our clothing. A picture of your favorite rock star will not be tolerated on your clothing, because everybody doesn't like that musician. Hell, we'll ban rock music because it's pretty much a celebration too when you go to a concert. No celebration will be allowed, because you might offend somebody. If doesn't matter if it's behind closed doors, I can still hear your loud filthy celebration when I drive by.

You don't like drab uniform clothing, and not being able to express your likes and dislikes. Tough, it's the life you have elected to have if you support such things as religious intolerance. You didn't want people to express their views in the open, so we gave you what you wanted. Have a fun time behind the cold steel bars you have erected around yourself.

Troy

[edit on 11-12-2006 by cybertroy]

[edit on 11-12-2006 by cybertroy]

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Sigh!

I remember the days when the Rabbi would have been told to go take a hike (or possibly something less polite). Even if he did manage to get to court the judge would have thrown it out.

What a sorry state things have gotten into.

Maybe Sea-Tac officials were being a little uncompromising though, I'm sure they could have found a spare corner for a Menora next to the urinals in one of the restrooms

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Tolerate me or I'll sue.

After the shooting in Seattle this year you'd think this Rabbi would of seen that many religions came together to pay their respects to the Jewish community...now he decides this is the time to slap people in the face? Poor taste indeed.

Every year we get more and more empty. Eventually we will all secretly worship in hiding so as not to offend anyone. Meanwhile some extremists will begin the backlash and fight back. I can sense it building not just in the US but everywhere.

So if your town puts up Christmas lights on the street or decorations...do they have to come down now across the USA? If I dress up with a Christmas themed dress at work, will I be sent home?

How sterile do we have to make this world before everyone is happy? Let me say that I'm not a big fan of organized religion either, but any message that promotes goodwill and brings us closer together (even Halloween does) is ok with me.

[edit on 11/12/06 by Atomic]

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Well since it was originally a semitic symbol to begin with and then an egyptian one and finally a roman one, the next question is, if we were to portray it as it was actually used when it first began (as a coffin or grave marker for the passing of the old year, in prepartaion for the beginning of the new year) would it still be an offense? To me , i mean, what's the big deal. I'm not even remotely offended by menorahs or christmas trees. It's a bit of a puzzle that this has become such a hot button.

Doesn't this look like some type of weird social engineering ploy, not on the part of the rabbi but something else. Like an attempt to get the religions of the world to be at each other's throats, so we wipe each other out over religious differences.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by undo
Doesn't this look like some type of weird social engineering ploy, not on the part of the rabbi but something else. Like an attempt to get the religions of the world to be at each other's throats, so we wipe each other out over religious differences.

Good point. Remember that the media reports the stories that the government wants us to hear and suppresses the ones that they don't. Since the religious hot-button stories are so prevalent lately, it seems very believable to me that a ploy is in operation to wipe out religion altogether. I've read about this in other threads and articles pertaining to the goals of the NWO... to eliminate religions altogether.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy
Perhaps the world would be a better place if religions and their symbols were taken out of public life and moved back into the homes of the believers.

What does a Christmas Tree have to do with religion?

Nothing more than Santa Clause, Rudolph and little green elves

So what's the big fuss...it's not like the airport had little baby Jesus's everywhere

Each person or family could celebrate or worship as they please without it being in the face of everyone else. Places of worship would ofcourse be exempt.

If you associate Christmas trees with religion....I assume that you also associate Santa Clause with religion too. Is that correct? I mean...they are both as far from Christianity as any symbol could ever be....imo, they take away the true meaning of Christmas and divert people's attention to the secular side of the holiday season.

If that's the case, why are you not following your own advice? You have an alien dressed as Santa for an avatar....I don't think that's.....(read below)

worship as they please without it being in the face of everyone else

Noone worships a tree, it's not related to Christ....so what's your problem with it?

Is there some sort of double standard? Is it ok to have Santas and candy canes but not Christmas trees? Even though all three have nothing to do with Christ....

[edit on 11/12/2006 by SportyMB]

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 07:00 AM
link   
This kind of sh!te pisses me off. Its to the point where politcal correctness and the like has given everyone so many rights that no one has any rights.
It's a dam tree! A TREE with lights on it. When and where does it end? Next they will tell you what you can and cant have your own home.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Being devil's advocate here (I like Christmas trees)

Originally posted by SportyMB
Is there some sort of double standard?

Yes, there is a double standard. At least one. And here's one that I see. Many Christians flip their lid when a town wants to call the tree a Holiday Tree. They say, "It's a CHRISTMAS Tree! It's about Christmas! Which is about CHRIST"! They make a direct insistence that it be called a CHRISTmas Tree.

But now, probably those same people are insisting, "Hey, it's NOT a religious symbol"!

Now is it a religious symbol or not? You can't have it both ways. If it's NOT a religious symbol, then you (generic Christian you) shouldn't care what it's called. If it's a religious symbol (a CHRISTmas Tree) then it's a religious symbol and the Rabbi has every right to ask for a Menorah.

Right?

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Why not put up the menorah? Why would the airline rather remove the trees than put up the menorah? Did it have something to do with not kowtowing to legal pressure? Probably not, otherwise they would have gone through the process, and possibly won. So, I'm thinking they chose not to put up the menorah for other reasons, maybe they thought it would anger anti-semites. Or, maybe it was just cheaper to remove the trees.

I also keep hearing that Christmas trees have nothing to do with Christ. I know that was true originally, but these days, it's as much a part of religion as the Cross. It was a symbol for something else that was taken for use by Christianity as it's own, and it's been that way for so long that it now has no other meaning other than as a CHRISTmas tree.

Maybe BH had something going with her Holiday Tree idea. Maybe on top of each tree there would be a magnificant menorah. And up and down it's sides were crescent moons and stars. Then, hang some fruit from the tree for Kwanzaa. That way you keep the holiday cheer, and include everyone.

No matter what people say, Christmas is exclusive by nature, and I can see why someone would want their faith shown just as much as Christianity is.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Now is it a religious symbol or not?

Does it matter? Well, yeah...I guess I should say 'should' it matter

Christmas trees, Holiday trees, Santas...who cares? Imo, the greater issue is not the equal advertisement of holiday season artifacts and slogans, but it's the people that get butt-hurt too damn easy....PC pricks or whatever you want to call 'em.

And yes BH, like I've said in many threads, that applies to Chistians just as much as it does everyone else who can't see things for what they are.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 08:02 AM
link   

And yes BH, like I've said in many threads, that applies to Chistians just as much as it does everyone else who can't see things for what they are.

So, just to be sure, and I agree, that the Christians who are so upset by this should just get over it, and stop whining. It's not like their going into homes or places of wirship and removing the symbols are they?

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 08:03 AM
link   

but it's the people that get butt-hurt too damn easy....

I totally hear you. I HATE political correctness. People seem to be just out looking for a reason to be offended. And this goes for the people who are offended when someone wishes them "Happy Holidays" as well as those who get offended when someone wishes them "Merry Christmas". They think their reason for being offended is somehow more valid than anyone else's Bah!

Where's the cry baby emoticon? There it is...
Waaaahh!

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by annestacey

Originally posted by undo

Good point. Remember that the media reports the stories that the government wants us to hear and suppresses the ones that they don't. Since the religious hot-button stories are so prevalent lately, it seems very believable to me that a ploy is in operation to wipe out religion altogether. I've read about this in other threads and articles pertaining to the goals of the NWO... to eliminate religions altogether.

I agree wholeheartedly. It seems that religious intolerance is being fuelled by someone/thing. Could this be a diversionary tactic to try to point our attention away from something?

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
that the Christians who are so upset by this should just get over it, and stop whining.

This isn't about Christian vs [insert religion here]....it's about an airport that wanted to display Christmas trees, not mangers (sp) and crosses.....just Christmas trees.

They want to display artifacts that represent a holiday and a certain time of the year....just like other holidays:

Vampires, spider webs and pumpkins = Halloween

Hearts, chocolate and expensive dates = Valentine's day

Turkeys, tall black hats and Indains = Thanksgiving day

Green beer and shamrocks = St' Patties day!!!!!!

Christmas trees, Santa, reindeer, chimneys, gifts, and lights = Christmas

And you know what...none of them to the average person has anything to do with religion! Maybe back in the day they started as a religious holiday...but that's not the case today, it's culture, it's secular traditions, it's having a good time with friends and family...and by protesting Christmas trees, your'e protesting that, not Christianity.

Are you that anal that you protest Christianity by not participating in this year's secret santa back at the office?

[edit on 11/12/2006 by SportyMB]

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 08:44 AM
link   
The problem with the English word for the wintersolstice is its religious connection. Catholic in fact, a mass for christ it says.

Most other European language have a non-christian term for the event, Noel (French), Weihnacht (German), Jul (Scandinavian) etc. The Jul is beautiful, but for christ sake keep Christ out of it.

And this 'menorah' (have no idea what it is), had they given in and raised one, the hindues would have been there wanting a 15-foot Krishna, then the Buddhists and the Muslims would have... yes, what would the Muslim had wanted. Controled demolission of all the blasphemy?

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Well, let me hop on board this train a few stops to late and throw my two cents in.

The problem is that we live in a country where drunkingly killing someones family in a car wreck and offending their over sensitive minds can warrant the same reaction: being sued for everything you got.

We are so worried about not offending anyone that we take every precaution to avoid it. It is not because we really care about their personal beliefs, but rather because we are afraid that they can hurt us financially (or with bad publicity).

Another problem would be peoples inflated sense of self worth and thinking that if it offends them they are doing a great service by having it changed.

In the end though, it doesn't affect or bother me one way or another (this whole christmas tree thing). The real problem is the eagerness to sue, sue, sue.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by 1Crisis
Why are people offended by other peoples happiness?

That sums it up nicely. The trees were joyful and festive and didn't hurt anything. The rabbi was a jerk for complaining about them.

BUT ... why the heck didn't he airport put up a Jewish holiday symbol like he asked. It would have been a lot easier to put up one of those instead of taking everything down.

Is someone ANTI-JEWISH who runs the decorations at the airport that they couldn't do that one thing? What gives with that?

The rabbi was wrong to complain about the CHRISTMAS trees.

The airport was wrong to not give one Jewish decoration to make nice. Unless they figured the trees weren't religious and therefore the Jewish request was too religious. But then again .. if the trees weren't religious to begin with then why take them down? (confusing!!)

The airport was wrong to take down the decorations.

[edit on 12/11/2006 by FlyersFan]

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 09:08 AM
link   

If you associate Christmas trees with religion....I assume that you also associate Santa Clause with religion too. Is that correct? I mean...they are both as far from Christianity as any symbol could ever be

Santa Claus is based on the real St. Nicholas of Turkey. He was a bishop (so Santa Claus has red robes) and he was a very generous man. He would give by tossing gifts and money down chimneys of the homes of the poor. Christmas stockings came from the poor children hanging their socks by the fireplace to dry them, and he'd (somehow) drop coins in their socks.

Santa Claus is definately based on a religious person - a Catholic Bishop from Turkey - and he was very real.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Another side to this. Why should Sea-Tac be obligated to have Christmas trees anyway? Is there a severe dearth of Christmas decorations in anyone's life this holiday season? Are people brokenhearted when they arrive at the airport, on their way to Grandma's for the holiday only to find that there's a slight break in the inundation of "holiday spirit"?

Isn't having Christmas commercials for 2 months, Christmas music on every elevator, every telephone (on hold), radio and mall speaker enough? Don't the decorations lining every Main Street, store and gas station suffice? Must the airport also flood visitors from around the world with the sight of not one or two, but 15 Christmas trees?

The USA is deluged in Christmas for 2 months and to some... it's just not enough. And don't you dare take away ONE symbol or call it by the wrong name or you're not "American" and you can "go back to where you came from"!

Hilarious!

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 09:28 AM
link   
The Rabi was stupid! the airport was stupid also removing the CXmas trrees!, i would let him sue me and let the court resolve the question acording to the law.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join